Talk

Advanced search

What should I be eating pre/post gym?

(7 Posts)
ComradeJing Tue 16-Aug-11 09:43:08

going to a PT 4 times a week but the language barrier is an issue when asking questions.

Went today after lunch of a tiny bit of rice and chilli and lots of salad. 4 hours later I could eat a horse. Thursday I'm going at 9. What and when should I eat breakfast? An hour before? Porridge? Toast? Eggs?

Thanks!

Lambskin Tue 16-Aug-11 11:21:12

I usually eat some fruit about an hour before exercising and then have boiled eggs and ryvita afterwards. I was heartened to read that Jillian Michaels does something similar in terms of her eating patterns:

Don't exercise on a totally empty stomach, you won't have the energy, and have protein and wholegrain carbs after.

smile

ComradeJing Wed 17-Aug-11 13:19:18

Thank you! Much appreciated.

notyummy Wed 17-Aug-11 13:26:59

Depends on how much you are doing - you don't want to derail weight loss efforts by effectively cancelling out any calorie deficit. Lambskins suggestions sound sensible. Breakfast at least an hour before - scrambled eggs on toast - that is what I have on race days? Nice mixture of carbs and protein. Banana as a snack afterwards and then whatever you would usually have for lunch. Unless you are lifting serious weights or running more than about 10 miles then you don't need to be thinking about loads of extra food/carb loading etc.

ComradeJing Wed 17-Aug-11 15:41:40

Sorry, I should have said before. I want to shed about 5g and I'm 7m post baby and very unfit. So the goal is to loose weight and get fit so def no extra food!

ComradeJing Wed 17-Aug-11 15:42:01

5kg not g!

notyummy Wed 17-Aug-11 15:46:42

If it was 5g than all you would need to do would be go to the loo grin!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now