Talk

Advanced search

Dairy free diet - inspire me!

(17 Posts)
wobblyweeble82 Tue 16-Aug-11 07:39:45

I've got to go dairy free due to a somewhat sudden lactose intolerance and all I've been given is a crappy photocopied A4 sheet of paper with a list of 'Do Nots' and I'm feeling rather fed up about it all seeing as cereal, yoghurt and cheese are probably my favourite foods. Can anyone point me in the direction of a fab recipe book/site? And which are the best alternatives? All I can think about is milky coffee envy

Lambskin Tue 16-Aug-11 08:17:19

I can't help with the website/book (although I use Everyday Paleo) but you can use soya milk in your coffee and cereal and there are soya highness too. It does taste different but it doesn't take long for your taste buds to get used to it. I actually much prefer sweetened soya milk, otherwise I have developed a taste for green tea and Earl Grey tea. Try not to think about what you can't have - that's just depressing. I do miss pizza, but make it myself without the cheese and use olive oil instead.

Hope this helps a bit.

Lambskin Tue 16-Aug-11 08:18:13

Soya yoghurts not highness! Bloody iPad.

wobblyweeble82 Tue 16-Aug-11 10:05:02

Soya highness sounds kinda posh! I'm off to do a food shop shortly and I imagine its going to take twice as long. Whats rice milk like? I'm going to plough through amazon after to try and find a half decent book too, Isn't the paleo diet the one linked to neanderthal man? I need to do some reading up... Thanks for tips smile

Lambskin Tue 16-Aug-11 11:11:43

I tried rice milk but couldn't get on with it. It's full of added oil and salt as well as the rice, and knowing that really put me off. They do them in snack box sizes so you can give them a go and see what you think.

Supermarkets do loads of 'free from' stuff which I found helpful to begin with but as time has gone on I don't feel like I need to bother, they substitute some pretty rank stuff for the dairy sometimes.

The Paleo book is wheat free too so possibly a bit extreme for you though you can always add pasta/bread etc if you want.

Good luck with your hunting! smile

Joby1970 Tue 16-Aug-11 12:41:30

you can get lactose free milk in Tesco - I use it. Didn't like unsweetened soya milk - haven't tried the sweetened kind.

HeyH0 Tue 16-Aug-11 19:26:36

Wobbly it might be worth checking out some vegan products, blogs & cookbooks too; add eggs and meat as required. (On phone so I can't provide links at the moment).

Almond 'milk' is easy to make & it can work well with cereal. Some vegan yoghurts & ice cream are quite palatable too, but only usually available in larger supermarkets.

thisisyesterday Tue 16-Aug-11 19:30:49

i use oat milk which is nicer than soy and tends not to split so easily in cooking.

it's fine on cereal etc

at first it WILL taste weird and wrong. but it doesn't take long to get used to tbh.

we are vegetarian as well, so basically on a vegan diet, and i can recommend any of the PPK recipe books. Vegan with a Vengeance is a good all-rounder. and if you're particularly looking for sweet treats then "Vegan cookies invade your cookie jar" and "vegan cupcakes take over the world" are both must-haves!

the mums at ds1's party last weekend were raving over my mini-cupcakes... little did they know they were actually vegan! lol

thisisyesterday Tue 16-Aug-11 19:32:50

oh and a friend recommended vice cream to me, although i don't own it (yet)

i also have a mini vegan recipe page on fb if you're interested, here I just post recipes that i've made up myself or where i've changed/combined other recipes

Needabitofsunshine Tue 16-Aug-11 20:24:58

Sorry to hijack....Lambskin are you doing paleo? I've been paleo since May and have found it fab! Have no intolerances etc, just doing it from a health perspective (and to shift a few pounds). I came across it in the Crossfit world - what about you? I love eating clean, and apart from wine (which is a completely separate and unrestricted food group ;) ) manage it probably 90% of the time. What's your experience been like?

DorisIsAPinkDragon Tue 16-Aug-11 20:42:12

If you want some ice cream Lidl sorbets are yum and dh came home from tesco with daiy/ soya free chocolate and vanilla non dairy ice cream yesterday.

Good quality dark chocolate 70% stuff is dairy free although you will need to check each brand (again suprising lidl's is very moreish!).

we make our own pizza as dh (DF) can tolerate small amounts of buffalo mozerellla. We also use some goats cheeses like feta/ st helen's farm and pecorino or sheep cheese's like manchego. But it may be you need to get a grip with complete dairy free first before you estalish if you can tolerate them?

Many cereal are dairy free (alot of the kelloggs stuff isn't iirc) but we have tesco stuff in the cupboard which is ok. We have both soya and oat milk in the house soya for dh and oat for dd who doesn't sem to tolerate the soya either.

DorisIsAPinkDragon Tue 16-Aug-11 20:47:24

I would also watch basics like bread as the bastards add milk proteins to anything they can get away with. so we have very speciifc varieties we can have for dh/dd. Sadly alot of the fresh baked stuff has MP in ask behind the bakery counter if you are unsure as there is a big book with all the ingreadients for the 'nice' fresher stuff.

Don't get too down honestly there is stuff out there it just might take a bit of time to find it.

(Oh and many of tesco's cheapy value own brand biscuit are df too smile

defineme Tue 16-Aug-11 21:11:58

We take oat milk and alpro soya desserts camping because they don't need a fridge and they're nice! Oat milk does after opening-I like it on cereal -do check muesli cos they often add dried milk to that.
The oat cream is nice too.
Redbush with vanilla is nice tea without milk and pukka teas -the ginger one is brilliant.

Lambskin Wed 17-Aug-11 11:58:28

Needabitofsunshine - I love eating like this. I'm terrible at portion control so I eat as much as I want but because it's protein/veg it fills you up so fast and it tastes too good to be 'diet' food. Goes very well with wine too wink I've lost almost 2 stone doing it grin

How long have you been doing it for? <apologies to wobbly!>

foreverondiet Wed 17-Aug-11 17:13:11

Actually a lot of the clean eating healthy diet books are dairy free - here is the link to Jillian Michaels food plan:

images.agoramedia.com/jillianmichaels/cms/jillian-michaels-ripped-in-30-meal-plan-v.pdf

She recommends coconut milk....

wobblyweeble82 Wed 17-Aug-11 20:26:40

Paleo chat welcome! I have a book by my bed that I've been dawdling ploughing through since DD was born 3 months ago. I guess now is as good a time to get into it tbh. Thanks all for the tips - spent a small mortgage in Sainsbugs on the 'Free From' aisle this morning. DH is looking baffled - he's agreed to join me on it for the first few weeks to make it a little easier for me. Regretting it already I think!

And thanks forever - bookmarked that for a read later on. Apparently, a woman in Sainsbugs says there's a great app with a dairy free database which you can scan the barcode of something in the suipermarket and it'll tell you whether its a yay or nay. I just can't remember what its called!

Needabitofsunshine Thu 18-Aug-11 09:21:09

The app sounds good, but it is scary that it's needed at all! So much of our food has been messed around with these days - dairy and gluten hiding in the most unsuspected places... Can't really be good long term. Plus I read in the paper the other day about a "naturally ocurring substance", bisin I think it's called, that will keep food from going off for YEARS. Gross. Wonders how I became a clean eating freak lambskin, I also have lost 2 stone doing it and am eating loads of delicious food smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now