Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where are all the low carbers?

(25 Posts)
FreeButtonBee Wed 03-Aug-11 21:36:01

hi all

I am back on the wagon this week! Lost 5lb since sunday and not been hungry at all. why did i stop!?

How are we finding the going in the clammy heat of august? I am trying to eat more fish rather than meat. Had lemon sole with a lemon, coriander, garlic and anchovy green sauce which was lovely.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 03-Aug-11 21:38:23

I'm here!

Back on the wagon after far too long. So much so that I daren't actually get on the scales yet blush

I'm doing a week of nothing-in-particular low carbing, before DH and I have a couple of weeks off (including a weekend in Paris). After that, I'm going to have a go at the Harcombe diet - a low carb plan - which looks quite interesting.

Well done you on losing so much so quickly!

FreeButtonBee Wed 03-Aug-11 21:41:27

Almost forgot, i have found my crispy Holy Grail these bad biys are mainly flaxseed so net carbs really low (3g net carbs per 100g) and they are CRISPY. Delish with cream cheese spread thickly all over the top, nice and cold from the fridge. I ration myself to one a day and they keep you Very Regular too!!

Some of the other crackers they make are not so low in net carbs so do check the back.

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 04-Aug-11 08:58:00

Are you sure about the carb count? The info on the site says 29g carbs per 100 g, of which 2g are sugar!

Mind you, presumably, each cracker is light?

FreeButtonBee Thu 04-Aug-11 09:22:21

Yes, but you can subtract the fibre carbs to give the net carbs as the fibre isn't absorbed into the blood. (Or have I been doing this all wrong?!)

FreeButtonBee Thu 04-Aug-11 09:26:37

Oh Arse! BIWI you are right. UK carb count is already net carbs (see below). <wails> They are very light but I will have to redo my calculations to see if they are still a possibility. One of those as a late afternoon snack really helped me keep going til dinner time.

"What are Net Carbs?

Net Carbs are the carbohydrates that impact blood sugar and are theo nly carbs you need to count when you do Atkins. Not all carbohydrates have the same metabolic effect on our bodies. Ingredients such as polyols (e.g. glycerine and maltitol) have a minimal impact on blood-sugar levels compared to carbohydrates such as sugar and bleached flour.
Not all countries measure carbohydrates the same way. For example, in the United States, fibre is considered a carbohydrate whereas in Europe and many other areas of the world, fibre is not considered a carbohydrate and is reported seperately on food labels.
Net Carbs do not include fibre, nor do they include certains carbohydrates like polyols (including sugar alcohols), which act as sweeteners.

Since food labels in the UK distinguish the fibre content from the carbohydrate content, if there are no sugar alcohols in a product, the number of grams of carbohydrates reported on the label is equal to the Net Carbs. If you are looking at labels on foods from countries that list fibre as a carbohydrate, make sure to subtract the fibre from the carbohydrate grams to get the Net Carb count. In the case of unprocessed foods such as vegetables and berries, you may need to use a carb gram counter. If you do, make sure to subtract the fibre from the total carbohydrate count if the gram counter includes fibre in its totals.
When you look at the Nutritional Information panel on certain low carb products, you may see other ingredients listed under the overall heading of carbohydrates. As mentioned above, these can include polyols, which are further distinguished as sugar alcohols, such as maltitol and glycerine. Since none of these ingredients impact your blood sugar in any appreciable way, you can subtract the grams of carbohydrate in them from the total grams of carbohydrate in order to find out the number of grams of net Carbs. Atkins products list the grams of Net Carbs in the centre of the Atkins Seal on the frontof the package."

roguepixie Thu 04-Aug-11 09:31:33

Hi grin, was on other low-carb threads with you guys (under different name...Timba) and fell off wagon in a spectacular fashion sadangryblush.

So, am back now and trying to keep to a low carb plan in an effort to really move the weight. Even my DMIL (yes, I do mean the 'D')grin noticed and wants to know why I stopped ... thing is, I can't answer her 'cos I don't bloody well know hmmconfused.

Have managed to avoid rice and potatoes so far ... grin

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 04-Aug-11 09:54:40

I'm shock this morning as I have put on a pair of shorts that were relatively loose, even at the beginning of this year, so also angry that I have piled even more weight on.

But I know that going hard core won't really be feasible during our fortnight off (especially when in Paris!) so I'm just trying to be generally 'good' at the moment, and avoid bread/pasta/potatoes/rice/sugar/fruit, etc. I really need to get down to the gym as well ...

FreeButtonBee Thu 04-Aug-11 10:14:43

Hi Roguepixie! Nice to have you back!

I think it's easy to get bored and stop trying. Also I do find that I need to have lots of fresh food in the house. Which if you're busy, can be a problem.

I've found it very easy to get back on the wagon though.

Dinner last night was lambs lettuce, tomato, chunky coleslaw, roast chicken and some v nice cheese all in a big bowl. Had 3 squares of chocolate and half a punnet of blueberries afterwards. Also lots of water.

slightly up this morning but downward trend generally this week.

Just had a yog for breakfast, not sure what to do for lunch. Dinner is my old favourite aubergine parmigiana

jellybelly101 Sat 06-Aug-11 10:09:17

I'm another one crawling my sorry arse back onto the wagon. Have managed to put on half of what I lost originally. grrrrr.

In the words of India and Neris I really need to sort my headstuff out. So, back to the nightly hypnosis cd and less of the bread and butter.

Scrambled eggs for breakfast and shopping for lovely low carb treats after.

Spamspamspam Sat 06-Aug-11 10:39:34

I will join you. I haven't really fallen off the wagon as such but have been cruising for months. Lost 21 lbs between January and March and since March have stayed the same, sometimes up a couple of lbs but then back down. June and July have been more up a few pounds so am going to start fully back on it.

Have been doing Neris and India and need to go back to phase one, I am cruising at phase three ish and having the odd carb full day. I want to lose 35 lbs in total so in reality I think from today I have 16 lbs to lose - really want to do this by end November as my sister is getting married and I am Maid of Honour and have a stunning dress to wear, would love it to be a 14 and not a 16.

So back to Sainbury's armed with my book and stock up on Idiot Proof Diet favourites!

FreeButtonBee Sat 06-Aug-11 10:40:07

Not a great day yesterday - but had a bit of a stressful day with work. Ben and jennys was involved!

I had a fab dinner last night though. I marinated fresh squid in shallots, lemon juice, olive oil and lots of pepper. Fried it quickly just untilt he edges started to char and the shallot softened. Served it with some fried batons of chorizo, diced tomato and some fresh samphire. It was amazing - frankly, it was restaurant-worthy. <puffs up chest>

Breakfast this morning of scrambled eggs, a couple slices parma ham, and some very nice strong italian cheese.

Weight this morning was 10 7 so we are back in the lower half of the 10 st range. Getting from here to 10 3 is tough. Getting lower was really hard!

Hi to jellybelly too.

Anyone got any other inspiational recipes? I need Good Food to stick to this.

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 06-Aug-11 10:44:19

Barbecues are always good at this time of year, FBB (as long as you're not a burger-in-a-bun type of barbecuer!).

Great excuse to base your meal around just meat or fish, with a token bit of salad on the side!

Can also barbecue Halloumi, which is lovely - I do it served with a lemon, garlic and coriander dressing which is great.

jellybelly101 Sat 06-Aug-11 11:19:39

Your squid sounds amazing freebuttonbbee - that's a recipe that combines all of my fave foods into one dish.

That's the great thing about low carb, the food is delicious!

febes Sat 06-Aug-11 11:23:20

I'm still here, still plugging away. I have lost 4st 3lbs altogether and have 2st and a bit to go till goal. My weight loss is stalling though but every now and then I go another few down. I have joing My Fitness Pal which is awesome and helps me stay focused and not stuffing my face with dark choc because it 'allowed'.
Anyway good to have you back ladies.

jellybelly101 Sat 06-Aug-11 11:23:32

I have a really favorite recipe which Bee posted and is in the P2T cookbook. It's gorgeous:
500g pork mince
1 'thumb' of fresh ginger, grated, or 1 heaped tsp of easy ginger
2 garlic cloves, microplaned, or 1 tsp of easy garlic
1 red chilli, finely diced (seeds and membrane removed if you prefer a milder result)
1 pack of fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 pack fresh mint, finely chopped
1 pack fresh basil, finely chopped
1 egg
1 tbs tamari
1 tsp fish sauce
zest of 2 limes
approx 2 heaped tbs ground almonds
1 tin of coconut milk
2 tbs red Thai curry paste
juice of 2 limes

Cauli rice to serve

non-stick baking tray

In a large bowl squish together the first 12 ingredients then form into walnut-sized balls. Add an extra sprinkle of ground almonds if the mixture seems too wet. Lay the meatballs out on the baking tray and grill on all sides until lightly browned.

While the meatballs are cooking, heat the coconut milk in a wok or large saute pan and bring to the boil.

Add the curry paste and lime juice and stir in.

Simmer until the sauce has reduced by about a third then carefully add the meatballs.

Simmer for 3 minutes then serve on cauli rice.

Sprinkle with extra chopped herbs if liked.

jellybelly101 Sat 06-Aug-11 11:24:40

And this:

Thai salad cups

A handful of cooked prawns
Two little gem lettuces leaves separated
A few roasted peanuts, ground or finely chopped
Two spring onions, sliced up very finely
A clove of crushed garlic
2tsp. grated galangal OR ginger
A fresh red chilli, finely chopped
A pinch of Splenda (optional)
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
3 Tbsp coconut milk
1 fresh lime, sliced into wedges
A large handful of chopped coriander
Place prawns in a mixing bowl. Add most of the ground or finely chopped peanuts, reserving 1 Tbsp. for garnish. Add the spring onions, garlic, galangal or ginger, chilli, chilli powder, sugar, and fish sauce. Stir everything together well. Add the coconut milk
Scoop 1 heaping Tbsp. of the shrimp mixture onto each leaf. Now top each one with a sprinkling of the reserved ground peanuts and coriander, and serve with the lime wedges

A handful of cooked prawns
Two little gem lettuces leaves separated
A few roasted peanuts, ground or finely chopped
Two spring onions, sliced up very finely
A clove of crushed garlic
2tsp. grated galangal OR ginger
A fresh red chilli, finely chopped
A pinch of Splenda (optional)
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
3 Tbsp coconut milk
1 fresh lime, sliced into wedges
A large handful of chopped coriander
Place prawns in a mixing bowl. Add most of the ground or finely chopped peanuts, reserving 1 Tbsp. for garnish. Add the spring onions, garlic, galangal or ginger, chilli, chilli powder, sugar, and fish sauce. Stir everything together well. Add the coconut milk
Scoop 1 heaping Tbsp. of the shrimp mixture onto each leaf. Now top each one with a sprinkling of the reserved ground peanuts and coriander, and serve with the lime wedges

febes Sat 06-Aug-11 11:24:51

I've made that before jelly its lush.
The squid sounds amazing!!!!!!

jellybelly101 Sat 06-Aug-11 11:25:50

yum yum yum

Jamie Oliver’s Sticky Chicken
• 8 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin on, preferably free range or organic
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• olive oil
• 1 bulb of garlic, whole
• 2 lemons
• 5 sprigs of fresh rosemary, tied together
a good handful of rocket or pea shoots, washed and spun-dry

Get your barbecue on about an hour before you want to cook and preheat your oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.

Season the chicken well with salt and pepper and drizzle with a little olive oil. Get a big double layer of tin foil and pop the thighs in the middle with the bulb of garlic. Chop one of your lemons in half and pop this in too. Wrap the chicken up then put your foil parcel on a baking tray and into the hot oven for 35 minutes until the chicken pulls away easily from the bone – if you have to tug at it it’s not ready, so pop it back in the oven for another 5 minutes or so.

When done, carefully take the chicken out off the oven and unwrap it. By this time your barbecue should be at the perfect temperature – a good medium heat – so get your chicken on to start charring.

While this is happening, get on with your sticky glaze. Carefully, clove by clove, squeeze the sweet roasted garlic out of its papery skin into a pestle and mortar. Carefully squeeze in the juice of your roasted lemon halves too. Give this a good bash up and season with salt and pepper then add a good lug of olive oil and mix until you have a thick paste. Now squeeze in the juice of the other lemon so you get 2 levels of lemon flavour – one sweet and roasted, the other fresh and zingy.

Use your rosemary sprigs to brush the paste onto the chicken, basting and turning for about 10 minutes so you are building up a lovely layer of sticky garlicky sweetness and a wonderful golden brown colour.

jellybelly101 Sat 06-Aug-11 11:27:53

Good heavens, I love food!
No wonder I'm pudgy!

Iloveshoes001 Sat 06-Aug-11 16:42:13

Guys, if you like low carb, you might want to check out this
www.facebook.com/FatSickandNearlyDead. It's the page for an Australian documentary about I guy who was 100lbs overweight and lost the lot (as well as curing all srts of illnesses) by doing a 60 day juice fast (basically mixed fruit and veg juices only!). Sounds grim but it works and it's surprisingly easy. After 10 years of trying I have lost just under 2 stone since June 10th and I am back to the weight i was when I went to Uni and started on all thre beer and curry grin

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 06-Aug-11 17:12:05

How is that low carb, Iloveshoes?

jellybelly101 Sat 06-Aug-11 20:38:21

Fruit juice? Tsssskkkk. Not low carb. Of course you'd lose weight replacing food with fruit and veg juice. I'd like something a bit more sustainable thanks.

Good first day on this side. Meatloaf in the oven and vod and soda by my side.

Hope you're all doing well.

Wabbit Mon 08-Aug-11 06:35:59

Hello, may I join? I've been doing the Primal Blueprint for 5 weeks and have lost 10lb - has anyone else heard of it?

My downfall is that DP loves a glass or two of wine in an evening and I can't resist - perhaps if I've got MN support I'll be better at keeping off the wine blush

Some amazing recipes here.

Spamspamspam Mon 08-Aug-11 15:14:42

Jelly thanks for all those great recipes will definately try some of those! Also Free your chicken dinner looked lovely!

I am sort of back on course as of Saturday. Am fully into ketosis, having my water, supplements being taken daily.

Food not too great and have had wine over the weekend.

Saturday
Break - Bacon and eggs
Lunch - Some bolognese
Dinner - salad/chicken satay and chinese pork belly

Snacks peanuts

Sunday
Break - Too many sausages
Lunch - Half a Scotch egg and some cheese
Dinner - Curried cauliflower soup

Snacks peanuts and some crispy bacon strips

Monday
Break - bacon and eggs
Lunch - Scotch Egg and coleslaw plus some waldorf
Dinner - Fake Shepherds pie

Snacks crispy bacon strips

I need to cut out the scotch eggs and coleslaw type also need to cut the peanuts and not have any dark chocolate however I was using up things in the fridge. I need to go back to salads and eat more greens as hubby and I have been "maintaining" but having high calorie things like those pots of sandwich fillers - they are about 500 calories versus a tuna salad or soup which would be a couple of hundred, also having dark chocolate, peanuts as snacks etc.

Husband has just been shopping, lots of stir fry things, lots of green veg, lots of fish and light meat so will improve the actual eating over the next couple of days.

Am also not going to have any wine for three weeks - hard!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now