Talk

Advanced search

I cannot stop eating, how do i stop?

(18 Posts)
Rillyrillygoodlooking Wed 03-Aug-11 10:31:31

The obvious answer is to stop putting so much food in my gob, but I am miserable about my weight and I do it anyway.
How do I flip the switch in my brain from just eat it all, to be sensible?
I know how to eat sensibly and that exercise would be good but I am finding excuses and stuffing my face instead. The more I think about it the more I eat. I am fast approaching the next stone up, and I don't like it. And I don't like that I ate a whole pack biscuits and two muffins before writing this.
How do I stop?

ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 03-Aug-11 10:33:39

I am much better when the food just isn't in the house. I have no chocolate, cake, biscuits or other assorted crap in my house, so if I eat, its got to be something healthy as its the only thing in.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 03-Aug-11 10:34:30

I do sympathise though. DH did the shopping the other day and came back with a few packs of biscuits, and I ate one yesterday. So, back to my "if it isnt in the house, it cant be eaten" plan!

ninah Wed 03-Aug-11 10:39:35

if you have stuff around you just know you will eat your way through do something else the moment the urge strikes you, you can tell yourself you are postponing the eating if it makes you feel better
eg get straight in the bath/shower
afterwards the urge tends to go away i find
and take it one day at a time

Rillyrillygoodlooking Wed 03-Aug-11 10:43:58

We had some friends round today so one of the mums brought the biccies and I made the muffins, but I waited till everyone had gone home to stuff my face.
See, I always have an excuse! I should throw away all cake ingredients as well.
Dh is fed up with me eating everything, but he also buys me choc nearly every evening.

wellwisher Wed 03-Aug-11 10:49:52

Why is your DH buying you chocolate? Tell him to stop.

If you have people over, make them take away all biscuits, muffins etc when they leave. Or cover it all in vinegar/ketchup/bleach/fairy liquid and throw it in the bin the second they go.

When you want to eat, brush your teeth! the minty clean mouth feeling makes you feel less like eating...

foreverondiet Wed 03-Aug-11 10:50:22

Have you tried Paul McKenna? Its basically about only eating when actually hungry.

Have you tried logging everything you eat? Again that can be useful for some.

Or something like slimming world, where you can eat as much as you want but only of certain sorts of food.

Read Gillian Riley's "Eating Less"

Not having unhealthy food in the house is fine to start with but long term you need to be able to look at half a pack of biscuits and resist (or just have one) as you aren't hungry or you'll just put the weight back on.

Rillyrillygoodlooking Wed 03-Aug-11 10:55:30

I did sw 10 years ago and lost 2.5 stone. I tried Paul McKenna but I couldn't concentrate because of his voice!
I have read about Gillian riley's book so will get that one. Have you used it?

foreverondiet Wed 03-Aug-11 11:28:39

Another hypnotheraphy option if you don't like Paul McKenna is Lisa Jackson:

Lisa Jackson

In some ways I like her book more than Paul Mckenna as its not just hypnotheraphy - she gives lots of different support, ie diet, exercise, motivation. Comes with a CD with 5 tracks.

Gillian Riley's book is NOT a diet book, more a self help book for people who overeat and strategies on how to deal with it. But it deals with what you describe - ie binging alone (ie you waited until everyone left until you ate the cakes). I am at target weight but have used Gillian's techniques to help me avoid eating whole packs of biscuits!

Rillyrillygoodlooking Wed 03-Aug-11 11:48:07

Thanks for the link. I do think I need more than a diet book. I went to a few Overeaters Anonymous meetings but it didn't feel right at the time.
I am so fed up with myself.

uninspired Wed 03-Aug-11 11:53:06

I was going to suggest Paul McKenna - I found it really helpful, so long as I keep reading or listening regularly

When I overeat, I just keep going and going stuffing more food in, often I can't taste it and often I don't even like it that much, I'm stuffed and I still keep going. So I know how you feel.

Rillyrillygoodlooking Wed 03-Aug-11 12:06:58

Exactly uninspired, I got quite manic eating those biscuits, like I was on a mission to get rid of them.
I had a couple of sessions with a counsellor for something else and she was going to tell me some CBT techniques to cover not eating like this as well but I cancelled the last appointment.

PassTheTwiglets Wed 03-Aug-11 13:27:58

Absolutely agree with everyone who says just don't have it in the house. It's just impossible otherwise. And yes, your DH absolutely has to be told not to buy you chocolate.

I do exactly the same as you - if it's there I will eat it, even to the point of feeling sick. Not sure how you learn to not be like that, you just have to get rid of it all and ismply not buy it until you figure it out. And when you do figure it out, please let me know the secret smile

Candid Wed 03-Aug-11 14:41:25

Have plenty of fruit in the house and tell yourself that you're only going to eat that cake or biscuit AFTER you've had a big glass of water and 2 bits of fruit. You'll feel so healthy and full after you've eaten those things that you won't want to eat the rubbish.

I'm an overeater and this really works. Apples are the best. I think the sugar satisfies too. Use low fat yoghurts too but not diet ones as they contain rubbish chemicals.

foreverondiet Wed 03-Aug-11 14:42:29

I think the answer is contained in Gillian Riley’s book – that you can have the biscuits, but you choose not to. That eating a whole pack will make you bloated / depressed / sluggish / tired / whatever. So you choose not to eat them. And that actually its not about being thin, its about learning to take control of your overeating and being happy.

http://www.eatingless.com/

Although I agree its easier to not have any of the offending foods in the house, its not really an answer, especially long term.

Last summer I was buying ice cream BOGOF from tesco and practically eating them all the day the order came. Baking muffins and eating half the batch hot out of the oven. This summer I am still buying, but the kids finish them before I get there – I have had a few, just 2-3 a week rather than 2-3 (or more) a day. And I choose the soleros or similar – around 100 calories each not the magnums (over 300 cals). I am baking biscuits, and again the kids eat them (although I have had a couple here and there), and some muffins went mouldy this week as no one ate them. And it didn’t matter.

But there was a phase at the start of my diet (October) when I didn’t have anything like that in the house. The DH got a box of lindor balls for Christmas and I though, I bet I can eat one a day (he doesn’t really like them). Just one! And I did it – I ate the whole box over around a month. It helps that even now I still log everything on MFP.

Rillyrillygoodlooking Thu 04-Aug-11 07:16:42

Thanks for your messages. I need to get through the hurdle of forcing myself to eat the apple and drink the water before eating the cake, or just not having it there.
I just want to throw a complete tantrum about not eating sugary fatty foods though, it's ridiculous blush
I need to stop sticking my head in the sand about the effects of eating like this and what the repercussions are for my children. I certainly don't want them to develop my eating habits but don't seem to care enough to change at the moment sad

Candid Thu 04-Aug-11 08:47:48

I know how you feel.
I've ordered the Gillian Riley book and Potatoes Not Prozac. I really hope this helps me.
Even though I know the fruit trick works, I think I'm still a sugar/carb addict and am using sugary foods to help me not eat more sugary foods.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Thu 04-Aug-11 14:40:02

I find what works is thinking about what all the crap food is doing to my body ( I mean healthwise, not size wise). Really try and visualise your body struggling to cope with all the food you are eating when you are not hungry. Sometimes I eat anyway, but often I don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now