Talk

Advanced search

big thighs

(12 Posts)
Choufleur Mon 01-Aug-11 19:13:11

I've been dieting (well really just eating far more sensibly) and exercising, at least twice a week, for about a month now.

I don't own scales so rarely weigh myself. I have measured my waist, hips, thighs and arms. In the past month I've lost 4 cm from my waist, my arms have got 0.5cm bigger (but are far more toned) but my hips and thighs have stayed basically the same. What's best for shifting the fat from legs and hips. I've been swimming once a week, doing body combat and body balance one or twice.

hellymelly Mon 01-Aug-11 19:24:59

am watching with interest....(also chub of thigh)

foreverondiet Mon 01-Aug-11 19:35:06

I have been dieting since October, started of being a size 16/18 and always had excess weight on hips & thighs. Finally, finally, my thighs are not big and I can wear size 8 clothes! But I have had to get my BMI down to 20.5 and my body fat to under 20%. I have down both calories counting and my own version of dukan, now am maintaining so going more for healthy eating. Exercise wise, gym, triathlon (running/bike/swimming), 30 day shred on non gym days.

You can't spot reduce, so I don't think anything is going to shift the fat from the thighs and hips other than weight loss in general, and like me it might be that the thighs are the last place you lose from. If anything my thighs are still too big from all the thigh toning exercises I did.... sometimes I think it would have been better if I hadn't bothered!

hellymelly Mon 01-Aug-11 21:47:05

Gosh,from a 16 to a very fit 8,that is amazing, and you sound like you've really worked for that so well done you!

foreverondiet Wed 03-Aug-11 12:15:58

Yes, but it has come at a price - bony collarbone, much reduced breasts, thin arms (with definition though), and flat defined stomach.

And as I said, my thighs still aren't (and will never be thin), they are muscular (so not wobbly) and I still can't wear skinny jeans. Size 8 tight on thighs, size 10 huge on waist.

CarolineSW19 Wed 03-Aug-11 14:07:43

I agree with 'foreverondiet', the only way I have ever really lost weight from my thighs is by overall weight loss. I find the gym tones them (which is no bad thing!) but didn't actually make them any smaller. Also frustrating in that when I loose weight it goes from my waist/stomach first, so I end up looking even more uneven with little waist and big thighs ;-)

Ephiny Wed 03-Aug-11 15:39:25

I am the same - even when I was very slim my thighs were never really thin, I've resigned myself to always being somewhat chunky of leg. Can't wear skinny jeans either.

It's just the way some of us are made -my mum is the same. Overall fat loss will help (and is the only thing that will make them smaller really) but you may never have really thin thighs...

Choufleur Wed 03-Aug-11 19:36:45

I've never had really small thighs. Even when skinny when lots younger I had bigish thighs. It's just disappointing that I've not lost anything on them. I'm having to buy size 16 trousers which are then big round my waist. Size 14 are really tight on my legs.

Joby1970 Thu 04-Aug-11 12:47:24

I found that running helped make mine smaller

Choufleur Thu 04-Aug-11 17:41:40

Well I'm off to the gym in a bit to pound the treadmill. See if that helps doing it regularly.

foreverondiet Thu 04-Aug-11 18:01:19

Choufleur - I did eventually lose from thighs (am doing running as well as shred and gym) - now at 19.5 inches at widest part... can't find spreadsheet were I logged starting though....

Choufleur Thu 04-Aug-11 19:49:01

well the conclusion is I'm rubbish at running. I did 1.5km in 20minutes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now