Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for healthy but filling breakfasts?

(12 Posts)
MyNameIsInigoMontoya Sat 30-Jul-11 23:59:24

I really need to lose some weight, am not into strict diets as I don't believe in them so just trying to cut out some crap from my eating and to do more exercise.

But I am a bit stuck on breakfast ideas. I need to eat in the morning or I feel rubbish, but it needs to be something fairly quick and easily available (as I often have to have breakfast at work). But it also needs to be filling enough to keep me going till lunch (things like Special K leave me starving shortly after, and also often seem to have a lot of sugar for something meant to be "healthy"!).

I think because there are so many different ideas on what is "healthy" it has just left me totally confused - most of the options available are either very sugar-heavy or carb-heavy or both! Any suggestions?

foreverondiet Sun 31-Jul-11 00:19:53

I have 2 egg omelette (not good for work though) plus some natural yoghurt with oatbran.

If I was taking breakfast into work I'd take a 200g pot of greek fat free yoghurt and a measured portion in a little tub of sugar free museli and maybe some fruit (blueberries? in another pot).

Otherwise hard boiled eggs could work?

bushymcbush Sun 31-Jul-11 00:30:11

I take to work a tuppaware pot of prepared fruit (my favourite is those big plastic jars of sliced peaches - I think the brand is Nature's Harvest) topped with blueberries and a dollop of full fat Greek yoghurt. It is truly scrumptious and it does fill me up, far better than cereal ever did.

I have tried weaning myself off the full fat yoghurt and onto the low fat / fat free versions, but it just doesn't taste nearly as good IMO. For the small dollop I eat though, it still comes in at much fewer calories than cereal.

At weekends I have a boiled egg, with one slice of toast and low fat spread. Also very delicious and filling, and around 200 cals.

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 31-Jul-11 13:17:55

Message withdrawn

ATimeTraveller Sun 31-Jul-11 15:28:26

Strawberries, a banana, blueberries and whatever other berry fruit you like. Chop up and chuck a muller light yoghurt over it. Then have 2 Alpen light cereal bars. Nom. (I do slimming world and this is what I have. It's totally "free")

melliebobs Sun 31-Jul-11 18:38:32

Providing you have facilities in a work staff room to do basic cooking then i bought a plastic device thing that allows you to make poach egg in the microwave. Works a treat, so poached egg on wholemeal toast. Porridge and fruit? Cereal like shredded wheat or wheatabix that don't have sugar on and supplement with berries.

Sleepwhenidie Mon 01-Aug-11 07:04:15

A slice of brown toast spread with a tsp of almond or cashew nut butter and topped with a sliced banana is a good one. Also with yoghurt and fruit a sprinkling of granola is delicious and adds some carbs for energy.

GreenTeapot Mon 01-Aug-11 07:11:04

If you have a microwave at work, why not make porridge? Add water or semi-skimmed milk to oats, microwave until thick, stirring regularly, add a splash of milk and voila, very filling and extremely nutritious. Eggs are hard to beat for fill-you-up factor though - I think the best breakfasts are proteiny.

bruffin Mon 01-Aug-11 07:18:07

agree with eggs and some wholemeal bread/toast.

bruffin Mon 01-Aug-11 07:18:58

boil the eggs the night before.

exoticfruits Mon 01-Aug-11 07:33:17

I find that porridge is the best thing-made with water.

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Mon 01-Aug-11 15:32:33

Thanks, some good ideas here! Think I will try the fruit-with-yogurt-and-muesli type thing first, I was always a bit put off fruit thinking I would get hungry again too soon, but with the yogurt etc that might work. Also wholemeal toast - do you think marmite is good? They have that in our work canteen but no peanut butter.

Not keen on eggs though so I will pass on those!

Porridge is another good idea, I can get that at work too or make it at home, & do quite like it and it does fill me up (sometimes used to have it with cinnamon and raisins). I make it with milk but use skimmed as I like that best anyway, so it doesn't add much fat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now