Talk

Advanced search

which supermarket the best for dieting?

(10 Posts)
smartshopper Mon 25-Jul-11 19:33:04

Have all the big 4 near me so really do have a choice. Tend to do most of my shopping in Morrisons recently but do struggle in the alternative desserts dept and have found Eat Smart a bit boring.

Any suggestions?

Stormfromeast Mon 25-Jul-11 19:56:20

All supermarkets are the same when it comes to dieting. The thing to do is smart clever. How about skipping the desserts asile altogether.

Sarsaparilllla Mon 25-Jul-11 19:59:13

I agree with Stornfromeast, stick to the fresh food aisles and away from any ready meals or deserts - making meals from scratch will almost always be healthier and the fresh food will be the same in all supermarkets diet-wise (cost-wise some will be cheaper tho smile )

foreverondiet Mon 25-Jul-11 20:42:44

I think tesco just because the only diet product I buy is fat free dairy and their cottage cheese / yoghurt / fromage frais seems better than the others.

I agree stick to fresh food and making from scratch! Best dessert is some fat free greek yoghurt and some raspberries! If you must sweeten use (half) an ella's kitchen pouch or a tiny bit of algave nectar.

Collision Mon 25-Jul-11 20:44:05

I meringue nest
masses of fruit
ww fromage frais

Job done!

foreverondiet Mon 25-Jul-11 20:50:28

Meringue nest? shock Surely full of refined sugar? Are you joking? Why would anyone eat that on a diet?

Collision Mon 25-Jul-11 22:10:38

Well on WW one meringue nest is only 1 pro point and only 53 calories each.

Tis a great pudding with fruit and ww from frais.

foreverondiet Mon 25-Jul-11 23:15:19

Am totally shocked by the idea of a diet where it might be encouraged to eat a meringue nest as its only 53 calories when its basically 53 calories of pure sugar with no nutrition, and where you might be put off eating oily fish as its too many points (on another thread about WW this evening).

I have calorie counted (am at target, am now maintaining) but even on WW or other calorie counting diet its naive to think that the quality of calories doesn't matter.

53 calories of sugar will stimulate an insulin response and encourage you to store fat. Of course the fromage frais and fruit has even more sugar. I don't really understand why you would eat that as a dessert rather than just have a smaller portion of something non diet like ben and jerrys frozen yoghurt.

Collision Tue 26-Jul-11 20:40:27

Do you think you might be overthinking this ? grin

The fact that your name 'foreveronadiet' suggests to me you might be a bit obsessed with dieting!!

Sometimes a little treat of meringue is fine but then I like diet coke too which you might not like either!

foreverondiet Tue 26-Jul-11 21:05:31

Yes, should change my username.

Honestly what I think is that if you like ice cream or desserts then have some as a treat. When I was in the weight loss phase of my diet I saved calories for occasional treats. But I just had smaller portions of the things I really liked!

So if you really love meringue nests then fine, have them as your treat but don't eat them if you don't especially love them and justify it that its a good diet option, as it isn't. If you are going to eat something that's not good for your diet choose something you really love instead.

re: diet coke. Its not great for you, but if you need it to avoid eating something else then fine. But for some people it can stall weight loss.

re: obsessed, probably yes but I have come to realisation that my new way of eating has to be permanent, both to maintain my weight loss, but also the way I am eating now is best for my longer term health.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now