Talk

Advanced search

first slimming world meeting - how depressing

(18 Posts)
ricepuddingish Thu 21-Jul-11 19:23:24

Not the food but the whole atomosphere. Took place in a basement of a hotel, only about 10 people in total (seems that's a good turnout), and the leader wasn't exactly inspirational: overweight slugging from a diet coke. The whole atmosphere was so depressing. Meeting goes from 5.30 till 7pm. Could have all been done in 20 minutes. Plus leader was really disinterested. She gave us the new person talk but we were told no questions till the end plus she kept raving about diet drinks. She just seemed to want to get the money and go home. Will have to study the books tonight as I'm still confused by the whole thing. Oh and I didn't realise at sw they read out if you've put on weight. My old ww leader was way friendlier. I just kept feeling like it was 'fatfighters'. Do sw leaders have to have undergone the programme. She didn't have any of the classic blurred before pics up.

foreverondiet Thu 21-Jul-11 20:15:26

So don't go back. Do something different. Find a different group.

I may get slated for this but I wouldn't go back to a group with an overweight leader. Even more so if no inspirational.

ricepuddingish Thu 21-Jul-11 20:20:26

Are all sw meetings the same?

FoundWanting Thu 21-Jul-11 20:32:40

IME, yes.

I've tried two different meetings with a friend and both sound very similar to yours. Leaders were both over-weight and spent most of the time pushing the books and other SW stuff which made me think it was a commission thing.

IloveDMs Thu 21-Jul-11 22:16:45

I disagree. I couldn't succeed without going to group. We have an amazing, slim, inspirational leader who is so supportive to us all even throughout the week. Have a look at other groups. If you have the right leader it really can work for you.

JamieJay Thu 21-Jul-11 22:33:07

Try another group - it's like everything in life you can get good one but you can also get bad ones.

I have done slimming world in the past and had a good leader who really helped me lose weight for my wedding.

Am now doing weightwatchers to lose the last bit of pregnancy weight as I need the flexibility of not having to plan and cook everything in advance when dealing with work and a 11mo grin

TeaOneSugar Fri 22-Jul-11 07:13:50

My consultant is slim, glamorous and very inspirational, the group is huge engaged and very entertaining.

Try another group, I find it's important to "like" the consultant and feel comfortable with the rest of the group.

normalshmormal Fri 22-Jul-11 10:02:30

I also have a fab SW leader & group. The low numbers at the group you attended speak for themselves! Good luck whatever you decide to do.

ricepuddingish Fri 22-Jul-11 11:40:10

so can you just go another group without having to pay registration?

vnmum Fri 22-Jul-11 11:49:08

I found SW meetings "fatfighterish" which is why i went to WW and got to goal!

Joby1970 Mon 25-Jul-11 12:41:10

you can complain about the consultant to SW head office. Also they do have to be SW members - tho not at target.

normalshmormal Mon 25-Jul-11 17:33:52

Yep, once you're a member, you can go to any group at all. I sometimes go when I'm at my mum's 3hrs away, and I live on the coast and we often have people attend who are on holiday!

I've no agenda about slimming world vs weightwatchers etc as I know people who've done great on both, but I just think it's awful when someone has plucked up the courage to attend any new group and it's disappointing.

octopusinabox Mon 25-Jul-11 22:47:30

Another one saying change groups. Once you're signed up you can attend any group. Your group leader sounds crap. I'd also complain as well as they are franchises but SW still have a lot of say in how they are run and seem to do regular checks (at least they do in ours). If you don't want your weight loss read out then just ask the leader not to.

DontCallMeBaby Mon 25-Jul-11 23:01:50

I did SW for five months, and found the plan itself really good - sensible, healthy eating (as long as you don't go completely bonkers on the pasta, or invent ridiculous no-syn snacks). But the group wasn't really for me - but I worked with that. Turned up late, in time to get weighed and listen to a bit of talk, no time to chat beforehand (I didn't see it as a social thing at all). Bought the magazine for the recipes, bought a couple of books, steered clear of the food products.

We had two consultants, one who stood in when the other was off for several weeks. The substitute was far better, in part because she didn't have such a cosy relationship with the many long-standing members. Neither were slim, but then I don't know what weight they'd start off at ... interestingly both had seriously large husbands who helped them out.

ALL SW consultants have to be at least 50% towards their target.

My consultant is slim, bubbly, friendly, open and honest! She's 100% suited to the job, motivational, upbeat, and really lives and breathes slimming world.

She's very sensitive, if someone has had quite a large gain she won't read it out, she'll just ask them what the plans are for the following week!

Interestingly the group I attended before had a rather overweight consultant and I remember thinking, wow, do you actually follow that plan at all, but then realised she had already lost 10 stone!!! Now that is inspirational! Personality wise I didn't gel with her, but thought it amazing that she lost that amount!!

Once you join you can attend any group anywhere - whereabouts are you and maybe we can recommend some groups near us?

malovitt Thu 28-Jul-11 08:05:33

I have been to three different SW groups, the first two were awful (I complained to SW head office about the first one and the consultant was sent for retraining)
The third one is wonderful, really felt at home there and have lost 2 stone in 16 weeks.
Just try others, you'll find one where everything 'clicks'.

wizzler Sat 30-Jul-11 20:43:19

I am a WW disciple <waves to VNmum> but either way it is really important to find a meeting that suits you... on days when you really dread going to the scales you are going to need something to make you go... the meeting you describe would make me want to go to Pizza Hut!

LittlePushka Mon 08-Aug-11 23:27:26

How you getting on ricepuddingish?

I have just started SW online as I cannot get to a class which fits in with me. I agree with dontcallme baby - the plan is really healthy Have been to a couple of different classes previously and I must say yours sounds dire compared to my own experience.

if you are going to stick the SW plan would be happy to run it with you. I have a couple of stone to shift! this is day one - so far so good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now