Talk

Advanced search

What was your eureka moment that got you commited to weight loss?

(16 Posts)
bumbums Tue 19-Jul-11 21:28:14

Hi, I have 2 stone of baby weight to loose. I have 2 DCs the youngest of which is 2.4yrs. I have given myself a number of stern chats re. dieting and am revolted by my body. However I don't seem to manage more than a day of dieting. When I say dieting I mean following a combo of ww and sw principles.
I feel really frustrated with myself. Why can't I just say enoughs enough and do it properly?!!
I'm taking Citalopram to manage my PMT and have a DH that works long hours so I look after the kids single handed most days. I find it exhuasting and stressfull. At the end of the day I can't wait to sit down with a drink. Its usually just one large glass of wine or a double vodka and coke (being brutally honest!)
I joined SW earlier in the year but moving house got in the way and I didn't do it. There always seems to be something to get in the way.
I wondered if herbalife would suit me as it'd take away my choices and it seems easier than having to plan a weekly menu which I hate doing.
I've been fat for 5yrs and I'm sick of it but everyday I put the wrong things in my mouth.
I'm not stupid. I know what I need to do. Am I afraid of failure or just lazy. I don't know.

How did you get into your stride with sticking to a diet?

bumbums Tue 19-Jul-11 21:40:42

Too whiney?

amothersplaceisinthewrong Tue 19-Jul-11 21:42:59

Don't think of it as a diet, but as a lifestyle change. You have to change what you eat for ever. Dieting is all in the mind.

Rooble Tue 19-Jul-11 21:54:49

I went on holiday in Europe and realised that although a size 16-18 looks about averageish round here, I looked very large over there. Then measured my bmi which was 30, ie obese, which made me feel a bit sick.
I have exactly the same issue of being alone in the evening and snacking/drinking once ds is in bed. But I kind of made a manta to myself before opening the cupboard: "I can choose to have these crisps, or I can choose to lose some weight.... This time I choose to lose weight" and I'd make a cup of tea instead, then go and do something active (don't mean sport - I just mean not passive, so not tv or Internet).
The diet I'm on is v slow progress (about 1 or 2 lbs per week), but I reckon slow weight loss may be healthier and more sustainable. I hope!
How about instead of relaxing with a drink you have a bath?
Good luck, it's really hard - I have regularly tried and failed, but for some reason am v determined this time
X

foreverondiet Tue 19-Jul-11 23:13:16

My mum telling me that I was so fat that I was putting my health at risk. She was BU as DS2 was only 16 weeks and EBF at the time. And she's not exactly slim herself (overweight but not into obese).

My clothes looking dreadful and not wanting to go out and spend money on more than would also look awful.

And we went on holiday and I sat by the pool for a week in a swimming costume feeling fat.

My BMI was 30. My fat % was 40. I was a size 16 and even then only in generous shops like M&S so more like 18 probably. And I'm only 5 4 so looked awful.

I agree with another - its not a diet, its a new way of eating forever . I still use MFP as important for me to weigh and log everything that goes into my mouth! My WOE is very boring, I don't mind eating same food, I never meal plan but I eat same breakfast every day and I have a few lunches and dinners.

Try Paul McKenna or Adore yourself slim for extra motivation.

rubyrubyruby Tue 19-Jul-11 23:17:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bumbums Wed 20-Jul-11 08:27:29

Thanks ladies I will continue to endevour and get serious!

Jimmy99 Sun 24-Jul-11 18:05:49

Seeing a photo of me on the golf course, it was a wonder I could see the ball under my fat gut eeeuuuch.

30 pounds gone now 21 to go

Vajazzler Mon 25-Jul-11 18:50:15

For me it was bursting into tears in my GP's office as he weighed me and the needle went all the way around the dial then settled on the 2 stone mark. I weighed 25 stonesad
My GP didn't quite believe that's how much I weighed.
I was so cross with myself that I kept bursting in to tearsblush

Snowinsummer Mon 25-Jul-11 20:20:53

Hi, I had 80lbs to lose. I started 14th May & have so far lost 32 lbs. I am using Herbalife for brekkie & lunch together with protein powder to fill me up a bit more. I am doing Shred most days & use myfitnesspal all the time. It's actually fine, and this is coming from someone who should have taken the plunge years ago but was too daunted about the challenge. I am seeing a nutritional therapist & am taking quite a few vits etc becuase my body was quite out of balance, hence the chocolate cravings etc, but now I feel fine, much better than before, just a bit empty until I eat my evening meal! I feel really stupid that I let it get so bad before I did anything about it.

Collision Mon 25-Jul-11 20:25:55

I just decided enough was enough and WW had had £100000000s out of me!

I have lost 25lbs so far and am about a stone off target. Had loads of compliments and feel so much better.

Just do it. Get a pedometer and go walking. Zumba is brilliant for keeping fit.

Saracen Wed 27-Jul-11 06:02:58

I just had to wait until the time was right. With any big difficult lifestyle change, I think you have to want to do it enough.

In contrast to some of the other posters, before I could tackle weight loss properly I had to feel a bit good about myself. Self-loathing doesn't motivate me. I needed to feel that I am a good capable person who could manage the diet and deserves to be slimmer.

So I tackled some of the other things in my life first, the easier things which I knew would cheer me up a bit, and I waited for summer which is when my mood is better - no way could I start a diet in January! I also talked to my dh about what I was doing and how I needed his support - that was everything from keeping tempting food out of the house to complimenting me occasionally on my weightloss success... and NOT saying "there, wasn't that easy, you could've done this years ago"! I also explained that I'd be indulging myself with some expensive treats which are allowed on my diet, because to me at the moment this makes all the difference in whether I can stick to it. Like many men he is rather clueless about all this sort of thing, but since I told him what I needed from him he has been brilliant.

Another thing which helped me was giving myself permission to take a break from the diet at times when it would have been particularly awkward to stick to it, such as when visiting relatives or going on holiday. That way I wasn't setting myself up for failure, but making a positive decision, so it felt easy enough to pick up where I'd left off and resume the diet afterward. I've only had a break from the diet twice in eleven months and that has worked OK for me.

Saracen Wed 27-Jul-11 06:09:07

Maybe you are on the right track with thinking about whether WW/SW is actually the right approach for you. I think it makes all the difference if you choose a diet which you feel is realistic for you.

For example, I dislike counting and calculating and portion control, so I chose Atkins which (more or less) just tells me which foods I can and can't eat. I eat as much as I like whenever I want, so long as I stick to the allowed foods. It feels simple and I don't have to think about it much.

On the other hand my sister gets on great with WW because she likes the meetings and the focus on changing attitudes and habits, and she likes the fact that no food is absolutely forbidden, so she can save up her points for a meal out etc.

hermioneweasley Wed 27-Jul-11 06:23:29

GP told me I would be coming off the pill if I gained any more weight because it would put my BMI at over 30. When I thought about it as a health issue rather than aesthetics I had the motivation to do something.

CheerfulYank Wed 27-Jul-11 06:37:15

I'm still waiting for mine. sad Though I did just sign up on a calorie counting website and I am determined to do it every day. It's hard to overeat when you know you have to type it in and see that you've had almost 200% of your daily cholesterol. sad blush

Fuzzled Thu 28-Jul-11 11:06:00

My moment was about 5 seconds ago when I answered a question in _Chat thread re height and weight.

I'm 5ft 1" and I am 13 stone (82 kg).

I am apparently "obese" and at the top end of this category.

I have to do something and change myself or my DS will be embarassed.

I will start NOW not on Monday. Monday never comes, and there is always an excuse.

I will not quit because I've eaten something "bad".

I will accept that I sometimes need "bad" things to get me through.

I will get off my arse and stop MNetting when I could be losing weight by doing housework.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now