Talk

Advanced search

Is slim fast a cheaper alternative to lighter life?

(8 Posts)
mumofoneage7 Mon 18-Jul-11 22:01:41

ok so i need to lose weight and have been considering lighter life but at 70 pounds a week plus medical checks and counselling is seems expensive and a hassle. Any thoughts on doing a similar diet with slim fast products ie. Just having shakes and soups and no other food. Would this work in the same way as lighter life only cheaper? Anyone tried this?

foreverondiet Mon 18-Jul-11 23:19:17

It would NOT work. Lighterlife is a ketosis diet whereby you have no carbs and your body goes into ketosis and burns fat.

Slimfast is full of simple carbs (sugar) (first ingredient after skimmed milk) so you'd be depriving yourself for nothing.

TattyDevine Tue 19-Jul-11 13:35:29

Slim fast is not designed for use with Sole Source therefore you would not be getting all the nutrition you need. You do need to be very careful if you are using food replacement as sole source (i.e the only food you are having) because there is a reasonably scientific combination of protein, carbs, fats, and micronutrients. You have to be a bit careful with salt levels etc etc so you need a trusted product.

If you don't want to do Lighterlife and fancy spending a bit less, you could try Cambridge diet (you have to see a person to buy your things) and if you don't like the idea of having to see someone once a week but want to buy online, you could try All About Weight. I think All About Weight are brilliant, they have something called "meal packs" which are better than soups (in my opinion) but the same calories and suitable for use with sole source.

All About W8

TattyDevine Tue 19-Jul-11 13:36:07

Its true about the sugars too by the way. Lighterlife is by no means carb free by the way, however there is a careful balance. Slimfast is not a ketogenic diet.

mumofoneage7 Tue 19-Jul-11 17:42:29

Many thanks for the advice- have not heard of All About Weight but will look them up now.

mumofoneage7 Tue 19-Jul-11 17:47:43

Many thanks for the advice- have not heard of All About Weight but will look them up now.

cyb Tue 19-Jul-11 17:48:33

DONT DO THESE FADDY DIETS

They do not work

spudinvasion Tue 19-Jul-11 18:03:27

May I highly recommend my fitness pal? It isn't a diet, simply a way of tracking everything you eat and counting calories. You sign up for a free account then you can access it online or get a free app for iphone or blackberry if you have one.

My DH and I are both seriously overweight and simply by counting calories we have both lost a stone in 4 weeks. It is great. I have tried most diets going and have never succedded, just put it all back on plus more.

By tracking everything you eat, you are conscious of every mouthful and it makes you think twice before you eat anything. I have not eaten a single bag of crisps since I started (a huge thing for me as I have been known to eat 3 packets a day).

Since last week I have made a huge effort to start exercising and am now walking, stepping on the wii fit or riding my bike at least 3 times a week.

I feel sooo much better even though I still have about 5 stone to go.

I highly recommend it - linky

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now