Talk

Advanced search

Chocolate withdrawal

(12 Posts)
whatsallthehullaballoo Sun 17-Jul-11 16:06:28

I have been healthy eating for 2 weeks and lost 9lbs! Feeling very pleased as nearly half way to target. However, it has been a long long time since I went this long without choc ( i had a flyte bar a week ago) and I am restless, twitchy cannot settle and GAGGING for chocolate. I want it sooooo bad. I just had apple and grapes and a yoghurt but if I keep snacking I might as well have had some chocolate anyway.

Anyone else craving anything right now and how do we stop it!

RuthChan Sun 17-Jul-11 19:08:08

Jokes apart, chocolate is genuinely addictive.
I too was (am) addicted to it.

It can be a really hard craving to kick, but it sounds like you're doing really well so far.
One thing I have found is that it's partly a circumstantial craving, in that I crave it at certain times and in certain situations, but not in others.
If that's true for you, try to avoid those situations where possible. When you feel the craving, snack on something else sweet, but healthy. Personally, I find dry fruit such as dates a reasonable (but not perfect) substitute.

Then, there is making sure there is none in the house so you can't cave in to it even if you want to.

Don't worry, the craving won't last long.
After another week or so, you'll get over the worst and find that you need it less and less.

Good luck!!!

iklboo Sun 17-Jul-11 19:21:35

Mikado biscuits are 11 cals and half a gram of fat each. They're a nice quick fix if you REALLY want some chocolate.

ricepuddingish Thu 21-Jul-11 22:38:29

Have the chocolate. Otherwise it grow into an obsession and you'll binge. Just get it out of your system.

Joby1970 Mon 25-Jul-11 12:39:12

try a chromium supplement - its meant to help with choc craving

Saracen Wed 27-Jul-11 06:15:01

Try having some chili. Apparently it stimulates the same part of the brain as chocolate. Always cheers me up, anyway.

IloveDMs Wed 27-Jul-11 20:48:43

It is fine to have a treat from time to time. I am on SW and have something with chocolate about 4 times a week. If you deny yourself then you find yourself where you are now and crave it. At that point it is easy to give in to the craving and binge. Go ahead and have something small. It won't hurt!

ppeatfruit Thu 28-Jul-11 08:43:25

The very dark choclate is actually GOOD for you it's full of magnesium!! I'm on the Paul Mckenna eating plan and if you only eat it when you're hungry and really eat it slowly and enjoy it; then it doesn't make you put on weight.

I can't eat the dairy or high sugar stuff any more because it tastes soo disgustingly sweet (which it is of course) IMO it's the sugar and caffeine craving that are really difficult to ignore.

bran Thu 28-Jul-11 08:49:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlueArmyGirl Sun 07-Aug-11 20:59:46

I gave up choc because I can't just eat a one bar I need loads of it (two/three bars at once was fairly typical!)

Anyway, I decided at Chrsitmas that I would have some and tbh after not having any for several months it did very little for me. I was strict with myself and agreed in my head that it was just for xmas day, and it was. I knew very well that it would be so easy to munch and munch, for no reason other than because it was available, easy to access and quicker than making a meal, and it doesn't take that long for the taste to become moreish.

Unfortunately when it comes to chocloate I am an all or nothing person and just having a little bit doesn't work for me!

Spamspamspam Mon 08-Aug-11 15:39:07

I now eat lindt or green and blacks I couldn't bear dark chocolate 6 months ago but went onto a low carb diet and could only have dark chocolate so perservered and now I love it. Only need one or two squares and that is more than enough and much less calories than any bar of milk chocolate.

IlanaK Mon 08-Aug-11 15:45:26

I agree about the dark chocolate. I have been on a diet for the last 10 months and have lost 80 pounds. I still eat chocolate. I just eat very dark good quality in small quantity. Green and blacks dark is good and I also like dark chocolate coved coffee beans. Carluccios brand are especially good. I cut out all artificial sweeteners from my diet over a month ago and that has made the cravings disappear more than anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now