Talk

Advanced search

Low carbs as a veggie?

(5 Posts)
bringinghomethebacon Sat 16-Jul-11 20:39:10

Hi I know there is a general low carb thread and I've just read it for ideas, but didn't want to hijack it. I have no fricking idea how I am going to do low carbs I have just signed up with a personal trainer and he wants me to do low carbs during the day and no carbs at all after 6pm. As a veggie I know I really get my energy from carbs at the moment and have little time to cook in the week as I don't get home until after 8pm some nights. Not a big fan of quorn either! He is coming to do a more detailed nutrition plan with me but I just don't how how I'm going to find the time to cook all these bloody lentils! Can you tell I don't really want to do this?

HeyH0 Sun 17-Jul-11 00:03:27

Personal opinion? Dukan, Atkins etc aren't very veggie friendly, but GI/GL principles can work. First up, ask him for numbers, how many grams of carbs per day?

I'm a veggie who loathes tofu, is indifferent towards most Quorn products & can't eat cheese stronger than mozzarella... I've lost half the weight I need to shift since the end of February (over 4 stone) by limiting refined carbs, monitoring calorie intake and generally being sensible.

I still manage to scoff the odd pasta based ready meal, slice of pizza and a few glasses of wine each week; I exercise with a heart rate monitor, so have a reasonable idea of what I burn off during each exercise session... Don't despair!

Report back after you've spoken to the PT, someone will have suggestions. Good luck! smile

foreverondiet Sun 17-Jul-11 19:08:29

Low carb (atkins style) doesn't work as a veggie as it wouldnt allow pulses or dairy.

But you can do moderate carb if you can learn to love quorn, tofu, dairy, eggs and pulses.

Here are some ideas:
breakfasts - omelette and greek yoghurt.
lunch - cottage cheese or tofu salad
legume and veggie soup
dinners
veggies cooked with chopped tomato with pulses
quorn and veggies bolgnaise poured over cauliflower
tofu or quorn stir fry

re: the pulses - I either open tins OR soak batches on saturday, cook on sunday and then use from fridge all week.

bringinghomethebacon Sun 17-Jul-11 19:52:25

I have done GI before and found that manageable. I'm really not a diet person and actually generally have found in the past that as long as I exercise regularly I don't really need to diet. However I do need to get to my target weight quite quickly so I probably do need to diet until I am there.

Thanks for the meal suggestions forever, those are really helpful. I have just looked up some slow cooker lentil based recipes as well that I could bung in on a morning before I go to work.

chunkythighs Sun 17-Jul-11 23:30:20

Been using this as my bible for the past few months smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now