Talk

Advanced search

I can't be fat anymore. Encouragement please!

(8 Posts)
Sookeh Thu 14-Jul-11 12:17:07

Ever since starting a battle with severe depression and getting pregnant with my first child I have struggled hugely with my weight.

I have gained 4 stone in the last 3 years and I now weigh 14 stone. I am far too short to be 14 stone.

My self-esteem has taken a total nose dive and it's gotten so bad I never want to leave the house. I really can't do this anymore.

I inquired about Weight Watchers this morning and have my first meeting on Monday. Does anyone have any success stories or encouragement they could share? My self esteem couldn't get any lower and it's making me suicidal.

foreverondiet Thu 14-Jul-11 15:33:30

Hi, big unmumsnetty hugs. smile

In September I felt a bit like you. Baby was 6 months old I weighed 12 stone 5lbs. Maybe not suidical but felt very down.

But now I weight around 8 stone 9 lbs and am very toned and I am a size 8.

I lost most of the weight in the first 3-4 months. I stuck to the diet very strictly during this time and did exercise most days - why not start with 30 day shred from the comfort of your living room.

Also I really really recommend the Adore Yourself Slim book by Lisa Jackson, totaly fab for self esteem and practical suggestions. Would work well with Weightwatchers. You don't need to be fat anymore, and honestly just loosing the first stone will make you feel so much better (and proud of yourself).

Jimmy99 Thu 14-Jul-11 16:18:46

Hi Sookeh.

If you dont mind a man sticking his nose in i would advise the following:

You have 4 stone to lose so I would recommend a low carb diet (LCD) as this seems to work well for a large and rapid weight loss, to see the weight coming off at a fair rate will give you encouragement.

What you can eat is limited in scope but you can eat plenty of what is allowed so you wont be hungry (bored maybe)

An LCD is good way to reach your goal (or close to it) and at that point you can reintroduce the things you like in moderation.

In my case after many years of trying WW and SW and other calorie controlled diets and falling off the wagon just as quickly my first LCD has resulted in a loss of 26 pounds since June 4th this year. I now need to lose around 12-16 pounds to reach my target weight.

One good point is to "measure" yourself by trying on clothes that had gotten tight this is because on an LCD you lose fat not fat and muscle as on a calorie controlled diet and fat weighs less than muscle. I have seen most of my gut disappear so far.

I follow the Dr Clark low carb diet book which can be purchased from Amazon or Waterstones fo £5.99. Another book I would recommend is "why we get fat" which is a bit of a slog but a real eye opener and it dispels a lot of myths about weight reduction.

Also one of the other posters Custardo has a very informative blog which is worth a visit.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

http://carbfree.wordpress.com/#comment-97

Sookeh Thu 14-Jul-11 16:45:21

Thank you both so much, will definitely check out out both books suggested and see what is a better fit. Hell of a weight loss there Jimmy, congratulations.

My self-esteem is a huge problem for me and I know losing the weight would go so far in helping that.

Thank you both!

Sookeh Thu 14-Jul-11 16:46:18

Will also definitely check out the 30 day shred.

foreverondiet Thu 14-Jul-11 16:54:09

BTW the Adore Yourself Slim book (which deals well with self esteem) is a moderate carb diet. Lower carb than WW or SW but not actually low carb.

Jimmy99 Thu 14-Jul-11 20:24:22

Sookeh

It's worth looking at the book reviews on Amazon, that was how I chose my books because of the great reviews.

I dont post much because as a man I feel like an intruder but please let us know how you get on.

Good luck

Sookeh Thu 14-Jul-11 20:37:47

Thank you both again I'll be sure to check out those reviews smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now