Talk

Advanced search

A few questions before I begin 30 days of dread (shred)........

(14 Posts)

I know there's a giant shred thread but I don't have time to trawl through so hoping you will indulge me smile

I'm a size 20 and super unfit........will it kill me? I'm kind of wondering if I need to be a bit lot fitter before I even start.

I have G cup norks and the only sports bra I can find at the back of my drawer is a C cup (oh to return to those days!)......am I going to give myself 2 black eyes ready for the nursery run?

What do you wear on your feet to do it? I don't really have any proper trainers and really can't afford to buy any.

TIA.

moonferret Wed 13-Jul-11 06:26:02

So you're starting a fitness programme? Will it kill you? No, quite the opposite, just take it at your own pace. You're wondering if you need to be a lot fitter before even starting? How will you achieve that...? By starting the exercise at your own pace and building up!
What do you wear? It depends on what you're doing. But luckily many fitness activities such as walking, indoor rowing, cycling and the cross trainer can be done in a wide range of sensible footwear. Just don't do any running without trainers...

thinbridewaitingtogetout Wed 13-Jul-11 07:06:52

I bought cheap running trainers from sports direct as i did not know if it would just be a fad and they were onlly £7, i also wear them to shred in and compared to normal trainers they are way more cushioned.

I would also advise a sports bra as im only a dd but i would have boobs to my knees if i was not sports bra'ed up!

Good luck with the shred tho.

foreverondiet Wed 13-Jul-11 07:33:37

It will not kill you but it might take 30 days before you can attempt level 1 and do everything properly; ie you do it at your own pace - but that's ok.

re: bra - try in your normal most supportive bra and if that doesn't give enough support you'll need to get a sports one. I don't bother with changing into a sports bra but I am not big.

Trainers - yes you def need, otherwise you'll be posting here saying shred is killing your knees. Recommend running ones.

Thanks for your replies. Have just done it. Not too bad, although I did have to stop for a 5 second rest a few times! My arms are shaking now.

I found a sports bra which almost fits. Did it with bare feet but sounds like I will need to invest in some trainers.

Oh, and have discovered that my pelvic floor really doesn't like jumping jacks blush

TiredMonkey Wed 13-Jul-11 13:21:23

For a sports bra I'd recommend a shock absorber! I'm an E cup and found I was coming back from running (doing couch to 5k)with bruised boobs in my usual M&S sports bra, so picked up a couple of the old style ones (level 4) new off of ebay for £12 each. It has made such a difference!

Thanks for the tip tired. Have you completed couch to 5K? I'm hoping to do it eventually but want to lose a bit of weight first (too self conscious to go out running yet).

TiredMonkey Wed 13-Jul-11 13:36:52

I have, I just go for a run most days now. I was a size 18/20 (and only 5ft2) when I started doing it, and it helped with the weight loss. I did feel a bit self conscious when I started but honestly, nobody takes any notice! You'll be fine smile

supercal Wed 13-Jul-11 14:04:46

Hi OP

I'm also a size 20 and about to start The Shred today - if I can stop procrastinating that is!

Do you want to be Shred Buddies?

NarcissaMalfoy Wed 13-Jul-11 14:09:15

There's lots of jumping around so you'll need a proper sports bra.

It wont kill you but by Day 3 you'll feel like you've been run over.

Fantastic tired.......you must be so proud of yourself smile

supercal that would be fab. I'm a bit worried about how I'm going to fit it in on non-nursery days so will need a kick up the backside on those days. I'm crap at doing anything other than collapsing infront of the TV after the DC are in bed. Also don't fancy having DH as an audience! Have you done it yet?

It's been so long since I last got any proper exercise.........it was probably about 2 years ago before I got pg with DD2!!

supercal Thu 14-Jul-11 11:34:49

Hi controlpants - great, it's a deal.

No, I haven't done it yet, haven't been very well but have planned to start tomorrow

I also have issues about when I'll fit it in around my children, particularly with the school holidays coming up

I did do Shred for a bit last year before a big holiday and it did work, although I didn't do it for 30days and am determined to do that this time

I've decided that the only time to do it is to get up early - gulp - and do it first thing.

So, is starting tomorrow - Friday - OK with you?

normalshmormal Thu 14-Jul-11 12:32:23

Hello and good luck shredding, I'm on day 4, feeling optimistic!

Just to say that I measured myself for a bra using various guides I found on the internet and bought a sports bra from asda for £3.99! It fits better than any I've had professionally fitted (prob because I really spent some time working out what I needed) though I don't expect it to last as long as an expensive one.

And all because the 'computer says no' woman in M&S refused to measure me without an appointment even though the place was deserted... But that's another story!

All the best.

Friday absolutely fine supercal. I have quickly dismissed any thoughts of getting up early to do it (DDs up at 5.30/6 most days). I'm going to do it once they're in bed I think. Dh has agreed to vacate the living room for 20 minutes!

I did day 2 today and it wasn't too bad. I'm suffering badly with aching muscles after yesterday though so if anything probably took more little breaks today. I'm hoping I'll be able to do it all the way through after a few more days!

Thanks for the bra tip normal, I'll definitely pop along to asda. I'm squeezing into an E cup one at the moment........it's quite comfy but I am kind of spilling out of the sides of it a bit blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now