Talk

Advanced search

Waaah! Shred is killing my knees - what can I do instead?

(6 Posts)
DilysPrice Sun 10-Jul-11 15:04:40

I love the 30 day shred, but am coming to the conclusion that it is wrecking my knees. I need something similar, very intensive, but low knee impact.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cleverything Mon 11-Jul-11 13:39:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

foreverondiet Mon 11-Jul-11 13:41:51

I think it would be hard to find something to do at home that was intensive (ie cardio) that didn't involve jumping (ie some pressure on knees). Are you very overweight? Are you wearing good trainers? Are you carefully following the technique?

Cardio workouts that don't put pressure on knees are cross-trainers and exercise bikes....

IroningBoardForSurfBoard Mon 11-Jul-11 13:44:36

are you new to shredding?

i'm fairly new, but from reading other shred-threads (here and other places) good trainers are a must, maybe you are over doing it if you ARE new to it?

Hopefully Mon 11-Jul-11 15:16:38

I have totally dodgy knees, and suffered a bit in the early days with shred. My tips would be:

1) don't do knee circles - they are so bad if you have knee weakness (lateral strain not great for dodgy knees)
2) Make triply sure that your knees aren't going over your toes, even if it means squatting a bit less
3) star jumps also add a bit of lateral strain - I tend to do one round of star jumps and one of butt kicks or high knees
4) Spend as much as you can bear to on trainers

McPie Mon 11-Jul-11 16:05:52

I have major issues with the star jumps and have found I still get good results by substituting them for one of other less intensive cardio excercises, butt kicks, high knees or even just jogging for the 30 seconds. I would suggest adapting it slightly before you decide to give up on it as I have never achieved such great results from any other workout.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now