Talk

Advanced search

Quorn - SW

(12 Posts)
LakeFlyPie Thu 07-Jul-11 12:52:37

Am following Slimming World plan and can't get on with Quorn 'mince' in any guise, even though it takes on the flavour of sauces it's cooked in I don't like the texture.

I wondered about trying the sausages, have had a vile mouthful of the frankfurter style ones, don't like real ones so no surprise that I didn't like them but the 'surprisingly succulent' and cheesy herby ones look like they might be worth a try.

Should I bother and if so are they all free food or do they have 'syns' ?

TIA

neolara Thu 07-Jul-11 12:59:06

I don't like quorn mince but quorn sausages are fine. In fact positively nice IMO.

I can also recommend frozen soya from Tesco. Much nicer than quorn mince. Even my meat obsessed DH says he like it when it's cooked up in a bolognese sauce.

I don't know anything about SW unfortunately.

upahill Thu 07-Jul-11 13:19:26

Have you tried the quorn fillets. I love tghen baked or bbq wiht red pesto!

I know I answered a question you didn't ask!!

LakeFlyPie Thu 07-Jul-11 14:13:11

Thanks for replies, haven't tried any other Quorn products after the mince and frankfurter experiences but if it means I can mix up my red / green days a bit will make family meals a bit easier.

Sainsbury have Quorny offers on ATM, so might give some new stuff a try.

teahouse Sat 09-Jul-11 22:07:09

Quorn mince is best if fried first - honest

OpusProSerenus Sun 10-Jul-11 13:40:41

Apparently Quorn sausages now have a sin value. I never liked them, tasted a bit like stuffing to me and agree with you the texture of Quorn is a bit <boak>

TubbyDuffs Sun 10-Jul-11 13:50:35

I always fry my mince in Fry Light, if put straight into liquid it goes a bit "bloated" for want of a better word!

Quorn chicken style pieces are lovely in a Thai Green Curry or Vegetable Fajitas.

LakeFlyPie Mon 25-Jul-11 17:21:20

In answer to my own question the Quorn sausages are pretty revolting.
Had the 'now even tastier' Red Leicester and Onion ones (I think they were called) and dread to think what they were like before they became even tastier, not a hint of flavour and texture of baked cardboard.

Will definitely stick to our local butchers syn free meat ones in future.

May give the frying in Fry Shite before cooking and the pieces in a curry a chance before I write Quorn off completely, thanks for the tips smile

octopusinabox Mon 25-Jul-11 22:48:54

Are you vegetarian? If not I put a recipe on mumsnet for pork and apple sausages/meat balls which are practically syn free (only the apple counts). Much nicer than quorn ones.

LakeFlyPie Tue 26-Jul-11 09:51:19

Thanks octopus they sound delicious, will give them a try smile

May I link them to the SW recipe thread?

octopusinabox Tue 26-Jul-11 11:50:54

Of course. I had no idea there was a SW recipe thread. Could you let me know the link please .. I'm always looking for new recipes.

LakeFlyPie Tue 26-Jul-11 18:33:10

Thanks Octopus.
Here's link to thread, it's still in it's relative infancy, but slowly growing.

The SW thread which spawned it is here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now