Talk

Advanced search

Skinny b****

(7 Posts)
berkshirefem Thu 07-Jul-11 09:44:33

Has anyone read it?

foreverondiet Thu 07-Jul-11 16:49:06

I had a flick at lunchtime in Waterstones.

Seemed to me to be a rant by two mad vegans on why their organic vegan lifestyle was the best. Their tone ranged from funny at best to rude and offensive at worst.

The diet related stuff wasn't really a revelation - that unprocessed natural food esp fruit and vegetables are healthier than processed sweet food. But whilst I agree that huge quantities of meat or dairy are not necessarily healthy, I don't think its clear cut that veganism is the healthiest option nor is it the best for weight loss.

Its not really for the UK market though as they recommend lots of US products.

The title has no relation to the content of the book!

SpringFollows Thu 07-Jul-11 17:53:33

Yes, I have read it, I read it originally when I was vegan (have been on off vegan for nigh on 15 years). I also re-read it recently. I am not a big fan tbh. I am a habitual user of profanity, myself, but I did not like the profanity, as it seemed too forced. Like little girls trying on 'cool' or their mother's dresses. I also did not like the whole thing of 'if you eat sugar or drink coffee then you deserve to be fat, you fucker'.

I hate that kind of female hatred. It seems to me to perpetuate the idea that women should be uptight, hate themselves and hate each other.

The vegan thing is peripheral- it is just a coat hanger that they hang their ideas on. I think at its core is self hatred, self righteousness.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 07-Jul-11 22:57:50

Message withdrawn

berkshirefem Mon 11-Jul-11 16:12:10

I only wondered as I read it recently following reading Allen Carr's no more diets - which was amazing by the way and have lost a stone in a month without trying - Yay!

I found that skinny b** cemented everything I understood after reading Carr's book. But it was so overwhelmingly, ahem, MEAN! Not to mention anti-women. I guess I hated myself for the fact that it actually worked for me...

Still I feel more healthy than I ever have which is more important personally to me than how much I weigh so I suppose I should be happy.

HowToLookGoodGlaikit Mon 11-Jul-11 16:20:32

Allen Carrs book was also shit, sorry grin

berkshirefem Mon 11-Jul-11 16:23:29

HowToLookGoodGlaikit grin It's mad how something can work so well for one person and not another.

It has literally changed my life. I have dieted on and off for 15 years and it is the only thing that hasn't been a struggle for me. It just makes so much sense in my mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now