Talk

Advanced search

Good breakfast to replace toast?

(8 Posts)
titferbrains Wed 06-Jul-11 09:25:03

I am getting a bit preoccupied with weightloss after baby is finally born.

Just want to stay in a positive frame of mind and change eating habits when little one comes.

I love love LOVE toast for breakfast. Generally wholewheat, with butter, and jam, peanut butter, scrambled eggs or marmite.

Just wondering what healthy swaps you made. I really like proper butter - so better if I eat something different.

I'm ok having porridge in winter, but can't eat it every day, I just get bored.

aubergine70 Wed 06-Jul-11 09:53:39

You're toast breakfast sounds very healthy to me. Peanut butter and eggs may have a few calories in them but they're also high in protein which should fill you up and stop the mid morning biscuit cravings. I think it makes a good start to the day and if you want to cut calories I'd be looking elsewhere.

titferbrains Wed 06-Jul-11 10:03:38

Well, I don't think my breakfast is that bad but I do worry about how much butter I eat. Maybe just carry on with toast but cut butter intake elsewhere. Actually come to think of it, I don't eat much butter otherwise - most of my food is cooked in olive oil.

I never really need a snack in the morning after brekkie. I have it with DD so always try to eat well to set a good example and make sure I have enough energy to start the day.

uninspired Wed 06-Jul-11 22:08:25

Fruit, yogurt and granola gives you the crunchiness of toast, but like aubergine has said, protein is a good filler

Lambskin Thu 07-Jul-11 08:03:09

I can't eat bread (won't kill me or anything just makes me blow up and feel like crap) or butter, so my substitute is ryvita and soft boiled eggs for breakfast. It has the protein, the crunch and when you dip the nutty ryvita into the egg yolk it's all creamy! But if you're fine with bread and really like your toast it surely can't hurt to have it every now and again. Can you make your changes elsewhere?

bandgeek Thu 07-Jul-11 09:10:25

I second the ryvita! I have mine with poached eggs and love it. Reading this thread has given me' a craving for buttery toast though grin

Sewmuchtodo Thu 07-Jul-11 09:16:04

When I was dieting (now pg) I used to vary my breakfasts to save getting bored. Why not save your buttery toast for a weekend treat and be 'good' during the week?

Here are a few I enjoy (that don't feel like 'diet' food):

Activia yogurt (strawberry is yum) with 20g of special K and fresh strawberries......it is so good I have been known to have it for pudding!

Fresh melon with berries and natural yogurt

Weetabix with banana and milk

Grill a rasher of bacon, some mushrooms and one slice of brown toast (the mushrooms are juicy so no need for a lot of butter)

Sliced apple with a small pot (2tbs) of peanut butter is great on the run.

Oh......im rather hungry now!

berkshirefem Thu 07-Jul-11 09:52:50

I've been having just fruit for breakfast then a fruit snack mid morning, it's done wonders for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now