Talk

Advanced search

Off to ask for orlistat tomorrow.....any words of advice?

(7 Posts)

I don't know what my BMI is but I'm a size 20 and weigh over 17st. Been overweight my whole life (was a size 16 until DC1) and have never managed to lose a significant amount by myself. I've decided I don't want to go throguh my 30s like this but that I need some help to change it.......I've tried and failed so many times (probably literally hundreds).

Is it something GPs are generally reluctant to prescribe (i.e am I wasting my time?) or do you think it's worth a go? Feeling nervous about it for some reason. I've been fed the "eat less and exercise more" line so often that I'm worried they'll just completely dismiss me. Any words of wisdom gratefully received. Before 9am tomorrow to hop to it! grin TIA.

so hop to it. Flamin nora.....

uninspired Wed 06-Jul-11 22:06:46

I think a sympathetic GP will be happy to prescribe it to help you loose weight.

You do know about the orange slime don't you? shock

Yes I have heard about the unflushable orange slime grin

GP said no. Apparently they (the practice presumably) haven't found it to be particularly effective so don't generally prescribe it anymore. Basically sounds like they have given it to a lot of people who haven't bothered to adopt a healthy eating regime with it, and therefore haven't lost any weight.

Joby1970 Thu 07-Jul-11 13:23:39

i believe you can buy similar from Boots - have to ask at the Pharmacy section & do it with them

Shaxx Thu 07-Jul-11 13:40:40

Did the gp offer anything else? I mean any other form of support to help you lose weight?

She said eat less and exercise more. Also gave the contact number for the health trainer (saw him about a year ago........he said eat less, exercise more)

She also gave me a number to phone to book some counselling. Unfortunately though, the counselling consists of a half hour telephone appointment..........apparently that's all I can have on the NHS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now