Talk

Advanced search

If you got your baby belly down then how?

(10 Posts)
neepsntatties Fri 01-Jul-11 19:48:24

I am in the healthy bmi range but I look pregnant after Dd in jan. After Ds I lost the baby weight by not eating properly and I don't want to do that again. I know it will never be flat but I hate the way it is right now.

I exercise regularly - gym and running - but so far no change at all, not even a tiny one. I would be ok with slow change if something was happening. I am in a panic, feel like heavy restriction is all that works but I don't want to go back to that, I felt ill. I don't eat meat so cutting carbs out is hard for me. Am also ebf and feel hungry a lot.

If you lost the baby belly then how?

peggotty Fri 01-Jul-11 19:51:27

Could it be the muscle in your abdomen (sorry I can't remember what it's called blush) has not closed over properly. You can feel a gap down the centre of your abdomen if it's still 'open'.

Lovemy2babies Fri 01-Jul-11 20:43:50

Could it be because you are still bf?
I've heard that your body will hold on to belly fat as a bf reserve in case you are ever in a famine or Somthing like that.

Belly fat will go when you stop bf.

Hope some one else can support this theory?

neepsntatties Sun 03-Jul-11 12:55:22

I have heard that too. I just thought I might see a slight change at least but nothing at all.

foreverondiet Sun 03-Jul-11 13:11:57

Cut out any processed carbs from your diet (sugar, white flour, white pasta, white rice), eat pulses ideally twice a day but at least once a day.

Check with GP that your muscles have closed up, and do lots of different abs exercises.

Where are you in the BMI range - I certainly still had belly (and other) fat when at top end....

I'm not convinced about the breastfeeding and belly fat thing - this study suggests the opposite: http://www.rodale.com/reasons-breastfeed?page=0%2C1

Plus your baby is still small it takes more time for stomach to go down.

neepsntatties Sun 03-Jul-11 16:54:56

I am at the top, a stone more than I used to be but I had to really undereat to maintain that weight. I am good with brown pasta etc not so good with chocolate! I need to cut back there. I sort of didn't want to get into thinking about food too much but I guess it's the only way.

foreverondiet Mon 04-Jul-11 10:21:05

Unless you are very big boned you may well need to get your BMI to the middle or even lower end of the range to get rid of problem areas - to get rid of my chaffing thighs I've had to get my BMI under 21 - I'm medium build, and I'm 24lbs lighter than I would be at the top end of the healthy scale. No amount of toning is going to help if you are carrying excess fat.

BUT your baby still very young so no rush. Recommend the south beach diet, as its great for belly fat and its very healthy.

neepsntatties Mon 04-Jul-11 11:15:25

I've started using my fitness. Hopefully I can do it without getting unhealthy with it. I would rather be bigger and not obsessed about calories etc as it was so miserable. I also felt very sick all the time. I don't want to pass my eating nonsense on to Dd.

I found it much easier to lose weight after Ds. It's depressing how hard it is.

I allowed 200 cals for bf, Internet says 200-500 so though I should play it safe. Am finding it hard to keep cals down without being hungry though. Have to give up the glass of wine at tea time.

foreverondiet Mon 04-Jul-11 15:37:56

I use myfitnesspal and eat around 1200 on weekdays, more at weekend. I eat lots of food though - huge quantities of vegetables. I don't think its unhealthy.

My DC know I don't eat food that not healthy (like crisps, cakes, biscuits, chocolate, sweets, ice cream)as I am on a diet but they see me eating decent amounts of healthy foods.

I didn't start with the diet though until DS2 was 6 months old.

neepsntatties Mon 04-Jul-11 21:45:59

No that isn't unhealthy but I starved myself after I had Ds and was underweight, ended up working with a dietician to sort it out. I have had issues with my food for years but have been pretty good the last couple. My mum has an ed so really aware of how children pick up these things. It's made me miserable for years so would hate to pass that on. It's all very difficult for me to think about really, hopefully I can get the balance right this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now