Talk

Advanced search

30 Day shred (apologies for repeated use of !!!!!!)

(22 Posts)
PGTip Tue 28-Jun-11 20:03:45

Decided to try to Shred tonight. OMFG i hadn't realised how sloth like i'd become! Had to stop after 7 minutes!!!!!! Things i need to do before trying again - get a damn bloody good sports bra, star jumps are not designed for a 36HH bust!!!!!

i WILL try again but i need some motivation and to know that i'm not the only person who found Level 1 bloody difficult.

Snowinsummer Wed 29-Jun-11 12:29:57

Hi there,
I started 30ds on 13th May. Only 3 days ago did I dare progress onto level 2! I haven't done it every single day without fail, but have been pretty good. On level 1 I still do the 'Anita' type pressups and I too have to stop after about 7 mins to catch my breath (for more than 5 secs!!) between star jumps and jump rope - killer. Otherwise I am working more at Jillian's level, sometimes Natalie, but am only using 0.5 kilo weights as I was worried about what the extra weight would do to my knees. I have now ordered bigger weights so we shall see.
However, I have lost 22 lbs (had 80lb to lose) and lost lots of cms off my waist etc. Plus, I can walk uphill fast without passing out, have loads more energy & my bones which used to ache when I walked etc, don't seem to anymore. I am also using my fitness pal & find it ok most of the time, except when I think that I'll be at this until early Feb at least! Keep at it, it's worth it. When I started, I literally couldn't walk up the stairs without feeling that my legs weren't going to collapse.

Joby1970 Wed 29-Jun-11 12:43:08

it's really hard but it is amazing - go for it - your body will love you for it

PGTip Thu 30-Jun-11 08:29:21

Thanks guys, that's what I needed to near. It was very demoralising to realise how bad I'd become, but I will carry on, 22lbs weight loss would be fab (well done & in such a short space of time!).

poppyandsneeze Thu 30-Jun-11 13:42:31

I am on my 5th day of it, and have found it so much easier !!! Less out of breath and able to keep going through the exercises. It does get easier. I still can't stand the bicycle crunch at the end of level 1. Hate the things. Will weigh myself next week and see if I can fit into my jeans next week ?? hmm

MerylStrop Thu 30-Jun-11 16:09:26

I have ordered the DVD on Amazon, think it will get here on Monday.

So, tell me the truth: will this kill me? will I be able to do any of it? I've been going to the gym for the last 6 weeks, trying to do C25K, plus rowing and weights so I am hopeful. But I think my abdominal muscles last got used in around 2003.

MerylStrop Thu 30-Jun-11 16:11:10

And I need weights of some sort, do I? and a skipping rope (I think there is a tinselly glittery one belonging to DD somewhere).....

Should I ditch c25K whilst I am doing this and focus on one goal?

foreverondiet Thu 30-Jun-11 16:27:11

Weights yes, I use 2kg. If you are complete novice use 0.5kg or 1kg. TBH I was disappointed as everyone said it was brutal. Its not brutal if you are gym fit.

I'm on level 3 now.... will go back to level 1 once am happy with level 3 and use 4kg (don't own 3kg weights!) next time round!

Don't need rope.

thisisyesterday Thu 30-Jun-11 18:06:23

i just got the DVD in whsmith for £1!!!!!

so am joining the shred club grin

am slightly scared after reading htis tho lol

CarrieOakey Thu 30-Jun-11 18:09:29

22lb weight loss - shock OMG that's brilliant!

£1 from WH Smith - that's brilliant too!

I am going to start this too. Will check in and see how you're getting on PGTip I have tried to start it but never progressed beyond day 1 blush. Feel a bit motivated after snowinsummer's post

desertgirl Thu 30-Jun-11 19:12:36

Meryl you don't need a skipping rope it is just an imaginary one.

PGTip Thu 30-Jun-11 22:06:22

Let the shred begin gringrin

poppyandsneeze Fri 01-Jul-11 13:32:25

L1 da6 6 - it does get easier, I am using 1kg weights. No skipping rope required. If you are going to a gym already, you will find it okay. If you are like me then the first few days were bad - as I hadn't done any exercise for a while.

I look forward to the 20 minutes exercise now shock, but not sure if I will do the exercise tomorrow and Sunday as I don't want to do this with my son and dh around. Might start d7 on Monday. Depends if they both go out sometime and leave me at home.

MerylStrop Sat 02-Jul-11 19:53:27

Did it.
Loved it.
Sweated a lot.
LOVED how short it is.
Perhaps didn't do it as seriously as could have as had a 6, 4, and 1 year old all trying to do it to, but it was a lot of fun.
I can see how it will tone you up. Has anyone really lost much actual weight doing it though?

Sidge Sat 02-Jul-11 20:03:04

I ordered this and it arrived yesterday. Will try and do it tomorrow but not sure if I will get time as I don't want an audience!

I think I'm fairly fit, can run 5K in half an hour and do weights but I get the impression that the Shred is a killer... looking forward to getting started and toning up.

AlsoAvailableSober Sat 02-Jul-11 20:07:12

For those who think it is too easy after you have done it a while or are 'gym fit', try using weights on the Cardio bits of level 1. It is still a good workout then IMO (and i am 'gym fit')

AlsoAvailableSober Sat 02-Jul-11 20:08:18

Oh and i think running and shredding are a great combo.... Helped me lose 4 stone in a year and be relatively toned

I lost my DVD sad Anywhere I can download it? I got a bit of it on youtube (about 10min) but then it stopped and no part 2!

conquita Sun 03-Jul-11 06:50:07

AlsoAvailable - how often did you run and how long for when you were also shredding? At the moment I am doing the couch to 5k Monday, Weds and Friday and shredding on the Tuesday and Thursday. I have just completed week one of the couch to 5k and am interested to know how much weight etc was lost by anyone who has done anything similar to this.

TheSmallPrint Sun 03-Jul-11 06:59:18

Hi I started doing it a few weeks ago (although have had to stop for a few days due to work reasons. I found it very hard at first as someone who hasn't been to a gym in over ten years but you do get used to it. I moved on to level 2 which I found much harder as there is a lot of plank stuff and I have weak arms and an injured shoulder so I am not liking the second level as much. Seeing this thread will motivate me back into it though. I hope. I haven't seen any weight loss but DH reckons my stomach feels smaller!

AlsoAvailableSober Sun 03-Jul-11 18:06:39

I was (and still am) trying to do at least 30 mins of exercise (which raises the heartrate) at least 4 times per week. This includes running/circuits/shredding and swimming. I do like to mix it up though otherwise boredom can set in! I have also been doing mini triathlons (2.5k run, 10k bike, 400m swim) at the gym for a bit of a change too. When running I usually do 5-8k at a time, but was doing 10k when i was really committed!

For weightloss I used Food Focus a free website where you can log all your food/drink/exercise. I was on c.1200 (net) calories a day and lost a steady 2lb per week, tailing off to 1lb a week when i wasn't so strict at weekends

Sidge Wed 06-Jul-11 14:57:17

Did my Shred DVD for the first time just now!

Really enjoyed it, short enough so I didn't get bored and I liked her motivational comments.

No hand weights so I used 2 tins of beans, will try and get some weights asap and maybe some ankle weights for when I get fitter.

Didn't have to stop but did get hot and quite short of breath!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now