Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for dealing with diet wreckers?

(7 Posts)
pasqueflower Sat 25-Jun-11 09:49:59

Especially the ones you live with?

E.g. DD2 loves Chinese takeaways, DH will suggest opening a bottle of wine at the weekend. I can cope with one or the other, but not both, and have zilch willpower when it's in front of me, it's the weekend, and I feel I deserve a treat.

Plus it feels like being a real party-pooper when the rest of the family are tucking in or dh is downing the wine and I'm there with the mineral water.

Last night was ok because dd2 wanted a takeaway. I had one main meal - stir-fry chicken and prawns in a spicy sauce, didn't have any rice and counted the number of prawn crackers I ate - stayed within my calorie limit.

Dh was out, but I know if he'd been here we would've opened some wine and that would be another dieting day wrecked.

I don't have much weight that I want to lose btw (am already within a healthy bmi), but would like to get rid of the spare tyre before holidays in a few weeks time.

I'm better in work when the cake comes out on people's birthdays - I can resist that.

What are your coping tips?

countydurhamlass Sat 25-Jun-11 16:40:43

i am finding it easier by doing the following:

1. buy only biscuits everyone else likes and i dont
2. dont have alcohol on in the house usually, buy one bottle of wine a week for treat night
3. one treat night a week - takeaway or homemade pizza etc
4. plan your meals for the week and then have a small portion of what everyone else is having with lots of salad/veg to fill up
5. always buy the healthy version where possible and make everyone have it

pasqueflower Sat 25-Jun-11 20:44:01

Thanks - I think the big problem is too many "treat nights" a week and no willpower.

We eat very healthily as a family - I don't routinely buy biscuits anyway, but dd2 loves baking so I frequently come home to find irresistible chocolate brownies cooling on a wire rack! (She has the time to play loads of sport, so is an extremely healthy weight).

In fact, everyone else in the family has a job/lifestyle which involves a lot more activity whereas my job is very busy but sedentary. Today I have played loads of sport and "earned" my wine!

cruelladepoppins Sun 26-Jun-11 19:16:27

On the wine, when I was seriously dieting I was "allowed" one treat a day - the treat coul dbe a small glass of wine. I would usually make it into s pritzer with sparkly mineral water, it didn't seem them like everyone was drinking huge amounts except me.

For takeaways, I just tried to work out the healthiest choice (so I would have stuff I knew wasn't too fatty, have a little boiled rice rather than fried, but would steer clear of the prawn crackers because they are deep fried in oil. Very difficult as I love them!)

Your baking DD2 sounds like my DS1 - my strategy is to have a tiny portion, maybe a quarter or a fifth of normal - a taste really is enough.

Can you control the frequency of "treat" nights?

cruelladepoppins Sun 26-Jun-11 19:17:56

sorry, proofreading skills truly awful -

it didn't seem then like everyone was drinking huge amounts

pasqueflower Sun 26-Jun-11 20:12:32

Hi Cruella - very good advice, thanks. I'm trying to limit alcohol to weekends only. It's the randomness of dd's cake baking that catches me out - very hard to resist when I arrive home to find something freshly baked!

I think I need to focus on my goals and develop more willpower.

TartyMcFarty Mon 27-Jun-11 07:50:23

I'm basically my own diet wrecker. I can be disciplined do a couple of days, but then get overtired or cross about a work issue and feel like I deserve a treat, then just don't stop. I can even have the thought in my head that I could just choose not to put the biscuit I'm my mouth, but do it anyway.

And yet sometimes something clicks and I'm suddenly more controlled. Why can't I be like this most of the time?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now