Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm about to start the GI diet, could you please share your experience ?

(5 Posts)
childinjoy Mon 20-Jun-11 10:55:57

I'm quite exited about it as this diet seems right for me !

happy2bhomely Mon 20-Jun-11 21:45:40

Been there, done it, it was ok but I can't stick to any 'diet' for longer than 3 days!

foreverondiet Tue 21-Jun-11 09:57:01

Yes have done, BUT you need to restrict calories as well though as low GI eating on its own will not necessary result in weight loss - lots of low GI foods very calorific.

Also I think its a bit outdated now as it has been shown that some "high GI" food actually contains very little carbohydrate example is watermelon (ie it has a low Glycemic load), so eating it wouldn't affect blood sugar that much.

The GL diet is more up to date on this I think.

judyo Tue 21-Jun-11 10:52:34

I have lost quite a bit of weight recently and I have include an element of GL in my method. Basically I aimed to create a calorie deficit by eating a bit less and exercising a bit more. I started off quite strictly but when I saw my son eating the lemon off his fish I realised I had to do something more sustainable for all of us.
My main problem I think was snacking actually caused by my efforts to eat less. Another problem was simply putting too much on my plate at dinner.
So basically I start the day with two pieces of toast made from bread with as much rye, seeds etc as I can find, and spread thinly with any kind of nut butter. No actual butter. I try to eat more protein in all my meals. I have a light lunch. By dinner time I aim to have eaten no more than 600 cals. And I bought a 10" dinner plate. This is 'mum's plate' at dinner. Thought the small plate thing was daft but it does make a difference. I did a bit of swimming for a bit but mostly I try and walk more.
Motivation: two suitcases. One with clothes I was too big for. The other was empty. As I lost weight I took clothes out of the 'smaller sizes' suitcase and put them back in the wardrobe, and started filling the empty suitcase with clothes that are too big for me. I don't have scales in the house so this is my way of understanding the weight loss is real. I estimate I have lost more than 2 stone since January and am nearly back down to what I was before I had the kids, which is 20 years ago.

judyo Tue 21-Jun-11 10:56:49

Missed a crucial bit. It is important not to let yourself get hungry. That's when you'd eat a dead dog fried in batter. Hence the toast and nut butter. White bread with jam would make my blood sugar whizz up and crash and I would be starving by 11 am. (Usual caveat, I have absolutely no medical quals).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now