Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me with a Slimming World query please?

(10 Posts)
OpusProSerenus Mon 20-Jun-11 09:52:14

I have done SW a couple of times before and it has worked but I have put the weight back on when I stopped and am now fatter than ever before.

I have been trying Pig2Twig but, as I have over 5 stone to lose, would have to do the initial phase for a long time and don't think I could live this long without fruit so thought I'd try doing the SW diet on my own.

A friend had "borrowed" my more recent books so the only ones I have are about 15 years old and all fruits have a sin value where I thought most were free food. Am I fooling myself? Are fruits sins?

I have the ancient diet books from meetings and one recipe book of free meals. Does anyone have any info or advice they think might help that they would be willing to share please?

foreverondiet Mon 20-Jun-11 10:00:38

I don't know about slimming world but if you think you think that fruit is really "free" any diet you are fooling yourself.

Of course fruit is healthy and around 2-4 pieces a day a healthy snack, but it still contains calories and sugars and too much will slow down weight loss.

cosysocks Mon 20-Jun-11 10:05:11

extra easy is what I do, you can eat as much veg, fruit, poultry, meat, fish, pulses, fat free dairy products, rice, pasta and potatoes.

Main rule is to make sure your plate has 1/3 of veg on it and tbh you will not lose if you don't do this.
You then get 15 syns a day to eat.

Why don't you go to a meeting and then you get the books to use.

OpusProSerenus Mon 20-Jun-11 10:36:10

Thank you for the replies. I do realise fruit, like everything else, has to be eaten in moderation. I just could have sworn that when I last did SW a lot of fruits were not counted as sins but I might be fooling myself.

I did wonder about joining a group cosysocks but I just find the whole idea soul destroying. I've dieted and failed so many times I don't know if I can face it again plus it is expensive at first when you add in the joining fee, etc when I'm not totally committed

thebeansmum Mon 20-Jun-11 14:25:56

Opus - Advice was given by SW Consultant on this very subject at a group last week, as someone was complaining nothing/very little was coming off, the lady was upset as she told the group she has at least 4st to lose.

Consultant suggested trying to eat less fruit and more veg and this week (today) she had a much more promising loss. I do think you need to find what's best for you, so try less fruit more veg and see how you get on.

I know the idea of groups are hell for some people. I would say once you are sure you're in the right place mentally to really do it, then the group will help you. They are everywhere - try one, if it's hideous, go somewhere else. Some consultants are inspirational, some are garbage.

OpusProSerenus Mon 20-Jun-11 19:46:01

Thanks beansmum. I have been doing Pig2Twig which has no fruit on at all and I am beginning to crave it. The P2T diet has been amazingly good in conquering my sweet tooth, I now don't fancy sweets, cakes, etc at all so I think a little fruit would be enough to satisfy the craving but you just can't do it in low-carb

I do know that going to a group would be best but the groups here are just not convenient. The one near home is on a day I work so impossible due to timing and the one in the next town is on a day when I work in that town but is 3 hours after I finish so I would need to motivate myself to work around things

thebeansmum Tue 21-Jun-11 10:40:25

I'm not an expert Opus, and haven't even heard of Pig2Twig (don't really like the sound of it tbh!) but a diet that means you crave a little fruit and can't have it, really?? That will never be a sustainable, or healthy,
way to live the rest of your life. I think if you just wanted to lose a few pounds it would be OK but anyone that's had more than a couple of stone to shift - I know I've had to - knows its about lifestyle changes long term blabla I know you don't want me to preach at you, so I won't! That's why SW worked for me. Nothing's off-limits. The group thing sounds really difficult for you to do logistically as wel. If it was me doing that Pigtwig thing from what I have read, the weight would all be back within months of losing it.

You will find hundreds of SW books on ebay/amazon for pennies, the 'saucy secrets' one is amazing, yet to find one that's not been divine! I'm rambling now but I know how you feel and just want you to feel better. It's hard to think of what to say without sounding really cheesy and Marjorie Doors - ish, but good luck. (very un-MN style but here goes -xxx- runs forcover on shame of sending xx's!)

foreverondiet Tue 21-Jun-11 12:22:44

OpusProSerenus I think you can do low(ish) carb and have some fruit. Thats basically what I am doing - low(ish) carb, low(ish) fat.

Ok its not a ketosis diet - eg I eat low fat dairy, pulses & 2 pieces of fruit a day (I stick to either berries or apples/pears). Also ok also to have some oats / brown rice / barley - although do get better weight loss without.

See phase 2 in south beach diet book for more details. The fat I eat is healthy fat, eg egg yolks, avocado, oily fish, olive oil in salad dressings.

mg2012 Tue 21-Jun-11 20:50:12

Hey Opus, I'm a personal wellness coach and I help people to lose weight on a one to one basis. Great for people who cannot get to weight loss clubs. If you would like some more info or just a chat please contact me and I can tell you more. Best of luck Maria

BelleEnd Tue 21-Jun-11 20:54:48

Hey OP, I felt like you about joining a group. So I joined a thread on here instead. It's done the world of good, especially the food listing at the end f the each day. Far more support and care than I ever expected from a bunch of strangers of t'internet. smile

Don't beat yourself up too much about fruit. One or two pieces a day is fine. Try to steer clear of bananas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now