Talk

Advanced search

When do you manage to fit in exercise?

(20 Posts)
Minicooper Tue 14-Jun-11 14:20:36

I really have to lose weight - about two stone to lose ideally - one would make a difference! We eat healthily, but late - often not til 8.30 by the time dh home from work and kids in bed. I'm a SAHM to 2 preschoolers (1 and 3) and don't get any time to myself. I tried the 30 day shred but my knees were completely shot after 3 wks (though didn't wear trainers - just bare feet - would this make a difference?). I'd love to run or swim (used to swim every day in my pre-children life!) but by the time dh is home I'm too knackered - and don't know when we'd eat - cant eat even later than we do! I thought I could try early mornings before dh goes to work, but both dds are up in the night and its just soooo hard to drag myself outof bed in the morning - they're up at 6am, so don't think I could face exercising before this!!! What do you do?

mamasunshine Tue 14-Jun-11 14:28:18

I have just started to do an exercise dvd for 30mins in the morning. I would try wearing good footwear, and lots of stretches. I sit the 4 month old in bouncy chair, my 3 yr old copies and my 2 yr old quite fankly gets in the way, but I'm persisting!

When eventually they're all sleeping until 7am, I'll try to fit a run in at 6am, as my dh doesn't leave for work until 7. What time does your dh leave/get home from work? Can he watch dc's for 30-60mins whilst you do something? Also can you eat with dc's, then just have a healthy snack in the evening?

AlsoAvailableSober Tue 14-Jun-11 14:32:12

Can you afford a gym with a creche. It is the only way I manage it. Oh and by walking to and from preschool rather than driving. When they were your ages I used to chuck them both in the double buggy and go stomping for miles.

BunnyLebowski Tue 14-Jun-11 14:37:43

I leave the house (and a sleeping DP and toddler DD) at 7am every weekday and go to the gym. By the time I get back just after 8am she's up and fed and then DP goes to work. It's quite easy for us as the gym is only 5 mins away.

I couldn't face going on an evening. I like to wind down after dinner rather than having to think about exercising.

Wheelybug Tue 14-Jun-11 14:40:24

I understand where you're coming from - we eat about 930 because of DH getting home from work and he goes out 7-730 in the morning and dd2 up early (and 1-2 times a night on a good night).

The only way I have been able to exercise since the arrival of dd2 (now 2) is to put her in the creche at our local gym 2 x week and then run at weekends. Although I am fortunate to have a very reasonably priced Local Authority gym with a superb creche. With dd1 I had a spell at a David Lloyd with a creche but it was ridiculously expensive.

Minicooper Tue 14-Jun-11 14:41:38

Thanks mamasunshine, I was managing to do exercise dvd when 3yo was at preschool and 1yo napping! I gave up because of the knee problems, but maybe should try again with trainers. Dh is out 7-7. I#d be loathe to eat with the dc just because that's our time to catch up. We always eat at the table and its when we actually talk and have some time to ourselves! But appreciate that I can't have it all!

Alsoavailablesober, I stomp around with 1yo in pram and 3yo on buggyboard or on scooter (didn't double buggy) but 3yo gets tired and I end up walking back pushing pram, carrying scooter and with 3yo on my shoulders. Great exercise tho! I tried joining a gym with creche, but apart from the financial side, my 1yo is v clingy at the moment - I cancelled cos they kept coming to get me after about 10mins! Not the best use of money - and very frustrating! Will probably try again when she's a bit older and out of such a clingy phase.

Minicooper Tue 14-Jun-11 14:45:51

Bunny - that sounds like a good arrangement - I'm def an exercise first thing in the morning kind of a gal - used to swim on my way to work. Just have to persuade dh that he can cope with both girls and get some breakfast into them!

Wheelybug, I was at David Lloyd, but sooooo expensive once you've added childcare to the membership cost. Love the outdoor pool tho!

foreverondiet Tue 14-Jun-11 15:24:36

I go to gym and pay for creche (expensive I know) also 30 day shred in evening, am shock that you attempted barefoot, yes would def make a difference, only attempt in good trainers and sports bra.

In terms of swimming, have one evening a week where when your DH comes home you literally run out the door straight to the pool. He puts the DH tro bed and then you eat together afterwards.

Or take kids swimming at weekends and get your DH to take them home whilst you have your swim (works best with 2 cars). Running go at weekends. I have agreement with DH that I exercise first thing sunday, I jump out of bed and am home for 9am.

allhailtheaubergine Tue 14-Jun-11 15:28:29

I go at 6pm as soon as dh gets home. I'm on the starting blocks as he drives up the road and I sprint out of the house pecking him on the cheek and throwing the children at him before he's fully out of his car.

pasqueflower Tue 14-Jun-11 20:33:27

What time does your dh leave the house in the morning? Could you get up early enough to go for a run or do an exercise DVD before he leaves? Or on weekend mornings while he looks after the dc?

thestringcheeseincident Tue 14-Jun-11 20:35:19

6am alarm and I run three/four days a week. Back before any one is really stirring. It's a total PITA going this early but it does set you up for the day.

LolaLadybird Tue 14-Jun-11 20:52:56

Running is a good option because you can do it straight out the door - no time lost travelling to the pool/gym etc. I run first thing in the morning (6.30 am today) on a day when I am not working and DH isn't leaving until say 8ish as his start times can be variable. Getting out of the house early is an effort but is when you have most energy and is a nice time to go out. My DC's are early risers but I figure if they're going to wake me early anyway, I may as well get out and do something. Same at the weekend - I go out about 8 am ish.

You definitely need to invest in some good trainers tho' ....

ShimmeryPixie Tue 14-Jun-11 21:12:44

I'm doing the 30 day shred, as I have convinced myself that I can always fit 20 minutes into a day hmm. Today that will mean going home and doing it at almost midnight (stupid work)...but I am determined.

Minicooper Wed 15-Jun-11 08:26:32

Thanks ladies! Lola - I even have decent trainers, just didn't bother putting them on. Oh, the laziness! Dds both up by 6am so I'm always up by then anyway, so early is not a problem - just have to convince dh to look after them while I do something useful! Think I'm going to trial early morning running/ swimming next week and see if it works!

Shaxx Wed 15-Jun-11 10:27:26

Good luck Minicooper! I'm sure your dh will be fine smile

When my dc's were your childrens ages, I could just about manage a dvd for 1/2 an hr! I used Davina which I found really good.
Apart from that, it was lots of walking with the buggy.

create Wed 15-Jun-11 10:49:05

I lost all my baby weight by walking miles, up hill as much as possible, with both DC in at very heavy tandem pram - didn't use the car at all until DS1 got too big for the pushchair (was a bit much to ask him to walk 4 miles to pre-school!)

Then I started doing a couple of eves a week where I'd go for a swim/exercise class as soon as DH got home, having eaten myself earlier with DC and left something for DH to heat up. Realise that wouldn't suit everyone, but Dh said he enjoyed his time to do bath/bedtime on his own and it was only twice a week.

Minicooper Wed 15-Jun-11 13:31:08

I need to work on this, create - dh has never put the girls to bed, so I'm always here at bedtime. Maybe its time he had a go grin!

Fiddledee Wed 15-Jun-11 15:04:07

Get your DH to put your DDs to bed, he puts both of mine regularly to bed on his own, although as he travels alot I have to do it often as well (similar aged children).

like *create" I do my exercise once DH is in at 6.30pm, I eat with kids at 5pm and leave some for DH to reheat or he can grab something from the freezer. This is to go to classes.

Sometimes I exercise at home, I put one DC to bed then exercise quickly - DH much slower, usually have the meal ready to heat up DH will do that and we will eat around 8pm, I've had 1 hour to exercise in.

I keep meaning to do the 6am exercise routine but sometimes DC wake by then.

LolaLadybird Wed 15-Jun-11 19:02:23

You may need to take a tough stance with your DH Mini. My DH is very good and very hands-on and likes me getting fitter I think so is supportive of me disappearing for runs/bike rides etc. However, if I let him get away with less, he would happily take a back-seat - a male default setting I think!! wink

create Wed 15-Jun-11 19:13:36

He's been a father for 3 years and he's never done bedtime? shock

Honestly, exercise or not, you need to just tell him it's his turn. Bedtime can be a chore when you do it all the time, but if it's shared, it's the best time of the day, when they're little. Getting to wrap their little bodies in a fluffy towel and cuddle them dry, milk in pjs (why are they so cute in pjs?) and an extra long story if everyone's good doing their teeth smile He needs to know what he's missing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now