Talk

Advanced search

How do you calculate your ideal weight?

(4 Posts)
Bennifer Tue 14-Jun-11 11:14:14

This is a quick question. I'm 5' 8" (173cm) and weigh 11 stone 5lb (72kg). According to the BMI calculations, my healthy range should be between 54 and 74 kg, so I'm healthy, but I feel I could do with losing a little bit of weight. So what weight should I aim for?

The BMI range is so big (20kg), that I don't have a clue. Should I just look for something in the middle (64kg)? How do you calculate your ideal weight?

thaigreencurry Tue 14-Jun-11 11:19:32

I think it depends on your bone structure. I look better when I am at the lower end of the scale. For my height I should be between 7.11 and 9.11. At 7.11 I look just right and will be a size 8 at 9.11 I look plump and will be in a size 14. I have a friend who is the same height as me but has a bigger build and she looks very slim at 9.11. I'm quite petite even though I am overweight I'm still only in a size 32 bra because my frame is narrow and I have very small shoulders.

Bennifer Tue 14-Jun-11 11:44:20

Thanks, it's difficult isn't it?

foreverondiet Tue 14-Jun-11 11:55:32

Its hard, but to start calculate your frame size based on wrist measurement.... Mine is medium so thought aiming for 21.75 (ie halfway between 18.5 and 25) would be right - that was my initial target.

I have since lost another half stone BMI 20.7 and look better.... and am toned, but still carrying extra fat on thighs and bum.

There isn't an exact number so if you'd be more comfortable looking a bit of weight and are at top of healthy weight then go for it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: