Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you're losing a lot of weight, what do you do about clothes?

(8 Posts)
Saracen Tue 14-Jun-11 08:37:35

I never kept any of my outgrown clothes. For one thing we don't have the space, and for another thing it felt like it would be beating myself up to have them around, knowing it was probably going to be years before I felt ready to lose the weight. Which it was. But I am doing it now!

So now what? I'm nine months into my weight loss, doing well, slow and steady. I reckon I have more than a year to go before reaching a healthy weight. In January I was in America where there are lots of nice cheap plus-size clothes, so I treated myself to a few new things. Now they are getting baggy too.

I'm sure I can't survive with these clothes for another year. There's only so much you can do with a belt! But should I buy new things every few months, or hold out as long as possible?

It does seem a waste of time and energy to buy clothes which will be too big in a few months. I hate clothes shopping. There is so little choice in plus sizes and you pay over the odds. It'll be so wonderful to be able to shop in normal shops next year!!!

On the other hand it did make me feel quite good about myself when I bought new clothes in January. Maybe it's worth the extra time and money. I do deserve nice things. And I do wonder whether wearing baggy clothes gives me an unconscious message that I am plenty thin enough already. I've heard that people are more likely to put on weight when they wear loose clothes, and I don't want to slow down my weightloss.

Anybody else in the same position? What do you do about clothes?

ggirl Tue 14-Jun-11 08:59:48

I have lost a lots of weight before , slung all my large sizes out then promptly put weight on again ...not all of it but have had to buy new stuff.
I do think you should at least treat yourself to new stuff as you lose the weight.
Maybe compromise and get jeans that fit your new shape as it emerges and tolerate the tops that are too big by wearing belts etc.
Well done on your weight loss..how much have you lost?

erebus Tue 14-Jun-11 11:11:01

Do you have a sewing machine?

It isn't hard to de-size existing clothes to a certain extent! And you could also tailor clothes to fit exactly which would help in your shape-perception.

I'd be tending to adapt what I can and to buy maybe Primark for the rest if you can get the correct sizes there.

Well done for you success to date!

benbon Tue 14-Jun-11 17:03:01

i buy and sell clothes on ebay... so im not tempted to let myself put all the weight on again i sell them as soon as their too big!! when i get to goal i will buy new nice clothes, but till then i will make do with second hand bits off ebay!

Saracen Thu 16-Jun-11 01:27:56

Thanks ggirl, that sounds like a good idea! I've lost 21kg so far.

Saracen Thu 16-Jun-11 01:31:18

erebus: Sewing machine, er, yes, I'm a bit nervous of the things. I keep meaning to learn to sew but I think I would have to start with taking up the length of toddler trousers rather than taking in my own jeans. I don't think I'm Primark-sized just yet (I'm about a 22 now) but I should be able to buy some stuff in normal shops soon.

Saracen Thu 16-Jun-11 01:35:49

benbon: Yes, I'm not an ebayer but I do like to push things out the door to charity shops or freecycle as soon as I can!

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

Knax Mon 20-Jun-11 21:49:08

I threw out all my big sizes, then put it on again and can't afford to buy more at the moment! Got to lose weight so I have clothes to wear grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now