Talk

Advanced search

Help! Which weighing scales to buy?

(8 Posts)
Asinine Mon 06-Jun-11 14:48:55

i've decided that we need scales as I have no idea what I weigh, as I have never bought scales since leaving home 22 years ago... The other reason is that I need to weigh our puppy to work out how much to feed him! I have avoided buying scales as I have a dd13 and don't want her to be concerned about weight whilst she is growing and changing.

So any recommendations? Are there features worth having? Batteries or no batteries?

Thanks.

foreverondiet Mon 06-Jun-11 15:11:27

Def go for ones with body fat, weight is only part of the picture.

Not sure how you are going to find one without batteries!?

Asinine Mon 06-Jun-11 16:03:43

Mechanical scales, you know, the old fashioned ones...with a spring smile

foreverondiet Mon 06-Jun-11 16:34:11

Ah! Never thought of that (mechanical!) of course...

IME mechanical scales aren't very accurate - but probably good enough for your dog!

Asinine Mon 06-Jun-11 19:11:34

Thanks for answering, though. I actually resent spending money on scales, but I was hoping for someone to tell me they had some that were great, and I would feel more enthusiastic about it. But I'm thinking, when you're trying to lose weight your scales may feel like the enemy...

melliebobs Mon 06-Jun-11 19:36:25

Tanita scales are really good as i have to use them for work.

Scales that do body fat don't give you an accurate reading. As it involves an electrical current to get the reading it takes the shortest route through the contct points. IE up one leg and down the other, so they are far from accurate and not worth the money you pay for them. Same with the handheld ones. If you want an accurate realistic body fat reading your best seeing some health/fitness professional. Forgotten the technical name for the machine but it invlves putting a tab on each foot and each hand. It will do body fat %, water % and muscle %

foreverondiet Mon 06-Jun-11 19:50:15

Melliebobs - All methods of measuring body fat are just estimates: link

I have tanita body scales and FWIW the reading on them is the same (very close) as the gym instructor's with callipers. I don't agree that they are a waste of money - I have seen my body fat consistently shrink as I loose weight and they have kept me on track as have sometimes seen weight stick but body fat move down.

OP - if you aren't going to weigh yourself that often it might not be worth it, although as I said I love my tanita scales.

Asinine Mon 06-Jun-11 20:09:47

Thanks for replies, I think I was put off scales by my parents who had a graph of all the families weights on the bathroom mirror shock
Of course mine was going up fast as I was about 12 at the time...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: