Talk

Advanced search

Low carb vegetarian foods/meals?

(9 Posts)
TidyDancer Sun 05-Jun-11 16:30:38

Can anyone help here? Doesn't need to be vegan, just vegetarian (no meat, no fish, no by-products, etc).

Much appreciated if you can!

lordsugarslovechild Sun 05-Jun-11 17:33:26

I've been taking my inspiration from Rose Elliot's books re low carb vegetarian diet. I think her recipes are really nice; simple, quick and not loads of ingredients. I did her red thai curry recently using Quorn chicken then you can serve it with cauliflower 'rice' which is really nice. Also Asparagus Quiche with and Almond 'pastry' crust. My kids like to eat this way too so double bonus!
Another book I really recommend which isn't just low carb but very balanced nutrition is The Schwarzbein Principle Vegetarian Cookbook. Loads and loads of ideas.

TidyDancer Sun 05-Jun-11 17:40:14

Oh thank you! Will have a look into those. smile

foreverondiet Sun 05-Jun-11 19:45:47

Hard - but quorn would have to feature heavily! Quorn bolognaise, quorn stir-fry etc.

TidyDancer Sun 05-Jun-11 20:28:34

I do eat a lot of Quorn, I'm just struggling on replacing the pasta and potatoes part.

lordsugarslovechild Sun 05-Jun-11 20:30:02

I make lots of smoothies with silken tofu as well to boost protein which I think is the advantage to veggies. With low carb food vegetarians get a good amount of protein and fat which was previously absent from my diet. I eat plenty of eggs too.

TidyDancer Sun 05-Jun-11 20:49:36

I have ordered a Rose Elliot book from Amazon, so am going to start there. Thank you for your help. smile

foreverondiet Sun 05-Jun-11 20:58:09

DH has a protein shake every morning - either hemp protein or whey protein. Both could boost protein intake on veggie diet.

lordsugarslovechild Mon 06-Jun-11 12:23:15

Yeah I use soya protein powder as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: