Talk

Advanced search

I am going to spend June obsessively following the Tracey Anderson 30-day method - anyone fancy joining me?

(45 Posts)
Gerrof Sun 29-May-11 20:42:03

I am buying a bikini tomorrow in size 8 to motivate and take pics and do measurements before and after.

I have put on a bit of weight and look flobby.

I have got the book and DVD, and as tempted as I am to frisbee it into the canal and bulk buy some doritos, I think I can cope with 30 days of it.

So - 40 mins a day matwork, 40 mins a day cardio dancing hmm and a diet to follow.

Anyone going to join me?

Gerrof Sun 29-May-11 20:57:24

<tumbleweed>

grin

Beachcomber Mon 30-May-11 08:31:52

Hi Gerrof. I am doing a bit of TA but I'm not doing the 30 day thing. A friend recommended her mat workout to me as I wanted something low impact without heavy weights.

I have recently found a bit more out about TA and the whole Hollywood body thing is a bit of a turn off for me <feminist!> but I do really like her workout technique. I have ordered her mat video and the dance cardio but don't have them yet. I won't be able to do the dance cardio properly as it will be too high impact (knee issues) but I will adapt my moves (no jumping jacks, etc).

At the moment I am doing webisodes and I really like the feel of the moves.

I want to get fit as I used to have quite a physical job whereas now I spent quite a lot of time in front of a computer and I just don't feel right in my skin IYSWIM. This is more about fitness for me really than weight (although I do have a few kilos to lose to be my healthy weight) so I'm not doing the diet.

Don't want to discourage you but the diet does sound very hardcore! I'm a bit wary of diets although I do find that when I exercise I naturally eat better and less.

I probably won't be able to fit cardio and mat in the 6 days she recommends but will try to do 4 times.

I take it the 30 day is everyday? Hardcore!!

coffeeinbed Mon 30-May-11 16:25:33

I've been doing 40 mins of cardio - elyptical- and the Mat workout for the last week or so.
The cardio is relatively new - I've had great results with the mat workout even without cardio though.
I might try and keep up the cardio, use the leg exercises from the 30 Day - but keep the standing abs and arms from the Mat DVD and suplement with a Dukan-ish diet.
Not sure I can go all the way though. Will follow your updates!

Beachcomber Tue 31-May-11 11:15:16

Ok, I got the DVDs yesterday and did the mat one this morning for the first time. I really like the calm sensual fluid feel to the whole thing and enjoyed the exercises and the way they work your body. I couldn't do all the reps or all the moves properly in terms of height of leg, etc but found the dvd 'accessible' for someone who is not in shape (although has been in the past). Once in shape, if you do the whole thing properly with the control and power that Tracy does, it should work up a sweat.

I like how Tracy doesn't talk at you - she says enough to keep you right and lets you concentrate.

I'm going to ignore the teeny tiny feminine thing that kinda gets my goat because the workout is very good and I liked Tracy.

The workout makes you feel great afterwards, really stretched and energized.

I have watched the cardio - gosh. This is going to be a challenge. I will have to adapt it to make it less high impact for me in the beginning and see if my knees hold out.

Beachcomber Tue 31-May-11 11:17:14

Forgot to say, I really liked the standing abs and the arm workout. Couldn't do all the arms with weights.

Actually, I liked it all and could see this being a workout that I will actually enjoy doing.

coffeeinbed Tue 31-May-11 13:06:09

I've been doing it for months and can just now manage the weights. Esp the bit where you do stuff with one arm and are supposed to keep the other one straight holding the weight.

Beachcomber Tue 31-May-11 14:20:27

Good for you for keeping it up, I really hope I do too.

The arms are a killer. I had to rest a few times during the no weights bit and couldn't do the holding out one arm whilst working the other, weights exercise at all.

I was just pleased to 'get' most of the movements and at least be able to do them at my level (not nearly as much straight leg, high leg, etc as Tracy).

The mat leg work is quite tricky too - I found the swiftness of the changes and the positions difficult to get right. Will come with practice.

I hope in a few months time to be able to be fluid and funky like Tracy!

Coffeeinbed, now that you have been doing it for a while, are you seeing the results? I so want to get back some tone and strength and feel lithe and lean again.

coffeeinbed Tue 31-May-11 15:29:33

Absolutely.
Love handles gone, much slimmer arms, slimmer legs.
it's the arms though - I've always found those hardest to shape.

Gerrof Tue 31-May-11 22:55:10

I am glad that you have seen results. I am looking forward to starting this, I have got myself in the zone now. i am always quite good at starting strict diet plans and keeping to them, I like the challenge.

I have just measured myself and am depressed. I am usually a lot thinner than this, however I was very ill with MRSA earlier this year, and lost a lot of weight, however medication I have taken since has PILED it on. Now I am well again I want to get rid.

31 May measurements: 11 stone 2.6 lb This is HORRIBLE as my fighting weight is about 10 stone, I am 6 foot tall however small framed so look chubby at the moment

Waist 30, Chest 34, Bust 38, Hips 38.5, Thigh 22.5, Arm 11.5

Right. BRING IT ON TRACEY <whoop whoop>

<wanker emoticon>

Beachcomber Wed 01-Jun-11 07:21:48

Well done coffeinbed - glad you are seeing results.

Gerrof - Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

I am sore in places I have never felt sore with exercise before today. The movements are obviously hitting the right spots. The muscles either side of my spine feel sore all up and down my back. This is good as I have lower back pain since my pregnancies and am looking to strengthen my back.

Am not too sore though - feels like a bit of gentle cardio and stretching would loosen it all up and sort it out. Glad about this - I'm always wary of exercise that puts you in agony for the first few days. Feels too violent.

Having said that, I probably would be in agony if I had done both dvds properly!

I'm not in a hurry though, I really want to build up strength and do this as a long term thing I am going to keep up. I'm metric (live in France) - at the moment I weigh 58kg and my healthy weight is 52kg (am small framed shortarse). No idea of other measurements, I just know I have a flabby tummy and struggle to do a days skiing in the winter and therefore need to look after myself a bit more.

Beachcomber Wed 01-Jun-11 07:23:22

Forgot to say Gerrof - I hope you are over your health issues. MRSA must have really taken it out of you.

foreverondiet Wed 01-Jun-11 16:08:49

gerrof - slightly shock by your measurements - at 6 foot, 10 stone would be a BMI of only 18.6 which by some charts is underweight (acknowledge that other charts say normal weight 18.5-25) - either way doesn't sound healthy.

I have been dieting since September and my BMI is now 20.5 (not much less than yours is now - although admitedly I am very toned) - it was 30....and everyone now saying I'm getting too thin.

Are you really "chubby" and should you be depressed by this?

GetOrf Thu 02-Jun-11 14:57:45

Oh it will either have to be the 29 day diet or I stop on the 2nd July - yesterday went shit shaped and ended upgoing out for dinner grin

I am starting this today. Honest guv.

forever I know what you mean, however I am very slightly built albeit tall and when I put on weight I do look rather chubby, am sat here with love handles and fat arms. The BMI calculator I used (just checked) is 19, I am quite surprised by that. However I completely disregard BMI as it is just a mathematical tool used for social studies, and was based on a cohort of people in the mid-1800s.

I am not wanting to be unhealthily thin - I can see your point though so thanks for being kind in piointing it out.

foreverondiet Thu 02-Jun-11 15:12:29

gerrof I didn't want to be rude (hope I wasn't, and I worried afterwards that I was), more worried for you, because its possible to be too thin... I know BMI is not good tool, just more at your weight & with your measurements you really shouldn't be depressed about being chubby (your words!).

I'm now quite muscular (much shorter than you) so my BMI is higher than it would be otherwise, and although my waist is now around 27 inches, my thighs are never going to be "thin" because they are solid! For me the most important measure is body fat, mine now at around 21.5% (I have tanita scales), which means definately safe for me to loose more.

That all being said, although unlikely to be health benefits of you loosing weight, getting down to your target unlikely to put health at risk either so as you acknowledge yourself its just cosmetic. In the same way that I have continued to diet despite reaching target.

I do think though that we all (me included) have a rather distorted image of what the female body should look like due to celebrities and models.

jbg Fri 03-Jun-11 15:02:16

Hi, I try and do something 'Tracy' stuff most days but also do spin classes and toning classes at the gym too.

I highly recommend the Mat workout, and i also like doing the legs section from the post pregnancy dvd too.

I'm currently doing the Hipcentric from her metamorphises range. Its 30 mins of toning, you're supposd to do 30mins cardio too but as i do spin classes, i don't really need to.

No matter what routines I'm doing I always go back to the mat to do the weightless arms and standing abs sections.

I haven't followed any of her diets or any diet ever - I just like to eat what i fancy.

coffeeinbed Fri 03-Jun-11 19:59:44

I've been thinking about the Metamorphosis. What stops me from ordering is the format - can you use the DVD here? I thought they were American system only?

jbg Tue 07-Jun-11 14:22:40

Yes, meta. works in the UK and europe.

I'm on level 3 of hipcentric and I swear my saddlebags are going. Although only 30 mins of toning, the section where you're on the mat on all fours, only for 15 mins max, is bloody hard, I'm dripping in sweat.

I can't say enough good things about the Tracy Anderson method.

Gerrof: How are you doing??

GetOrf Tue 07-Jun-11 14:30:47

grin and blush

I haven't done anything.

So much for a good month of June grin

I am eating less and weighed myself lastnight and am 10.13, so have lost 3.6 lbs.

I should actually open that CD shouldn't I? grin

Beachcomber Tue 07-Jun-11 19:44:07

Oh glad this thread is still going. I've been doing the Mat dvd 6 days a week with 30 mins of dance cardio.

I have been taking 1 rest day as I think my body needs it. Yesterday was my rest day and I really felt I did the workout better today after giving my body a day to build muscle or whatever it is bodies do on rest days confused.

I am really liking the workouts so far. I tend to freestyle the cardio - my knees would never hold up and the dance combinations are tricky.

I'm thinking about getting the post pregnancy dvd too as although DD2 is 4, I feel my belly has never been the same again and I like the sound of the workout. It sounds like it could compliment the Mat workout well.
I'm not dieting but trying to eat clean and not over eat.

I think I will look into Meta in a few months time, once I have got my strength up.

So far, I'm really pleased with the workout and feel like this is something I could keep up.

Well done jbg for doing Meta - it sounds pretty hardcore.

Getorf - eating clean is probably a good start, then you can see how you go. I'm a great believer in setting oneself achievable goals, which is why I'm just happy to do a bit of cardio and the mat workout most days. I know I would never stick to the 30 day plan diet.

Huffythetantrumslayer Tue 07-Jun-11 22:21:25

My belly has shrunk! Had my first wedding dress fitting and my belly no longer sticks out and I can breathe in it. Thank you Tracey. My arms are stronger though not sure if they are shrinking or not. Have been eating sensibly and not snacking. Am so pleased!!!!

jbg Wed 08-Jun-11 12:27:16

Well done beachcomber. Re knees, some people do her cardo on a mini trampoline/rebounder. I quite like the meta cardio but havent done it much as i spin a few times a week but I'd love to try it on a trampoline. When i have done it i've tended to jump around on my mat rather than hard floor.

My alarm went off 40 mins earlier for me to do my meta this morning but i could not get out of bed. Last night's toning class at gym was a killer, I was too tired. I will do it tonight.

My friend has noticed a difference in her arms when she goes climbing and she puts that down to Mat arms.

Not sure why, but I'm really motivated with exercise at the moment.

jbg Wed 08-Jun-11 12:28:04

GetOrf: GET ON WITH IT!!

Beachcomber Wed 08-Jun-11 13:25:19

Thank you jbg. I did the cardio on a rebounder today and my knees and ankles were thanking me for it. It's kinda fun too.

The arms workout kills!

Have you been doing the Method for long?

Well done Huffy on the belly! I'm hoping to have mine kicked into shape too.

Gerorf just do a bit - you don't have to go the whole hog. Bin the diet bit - it doesn't sound like you need it.

GetOrf Thu 09-Jun-11 08:56:40

I have hada really busy week driving round the UK - get in and it's all I can not to go to bed straight away.

But will start the exercises at the weekend.

Somehow have lost another 4lbs, am 10 stone 9 now <punches air>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: