Talk

Advanced search

Do periods effect weight loss?

(5 Posts)
MrsGravy Sun 29-May-11 19:01:37

Please say they do...I started calorie counting almost 2 weeks ago and it was going so well. The first week I lost 5lbs by sticking to around 1400 calories a day (my allotted 1200 plus extras earnt through exercise). This week I've stuck to 1200 and saved the exercise calories so I could have a treat on Friday night. Didn't go that crazy though - I went over my daily allowance but didn't go over what I'd saved iyswim. I don't appear to have lost anything sad (although I don't officially weigh myself until tomorrow morning). I have got my period this week though so could it be water retention or something?? I honestly haven't been cheating, I've been logging everything on myfitnesspal. I didn't necessarily expect to keep up 5lb a week but I thought I'd lose a couple of pounds at least?! Where could I have gone wrong?

cyb Sun 29-May-11 19:02:37

Yes of course tis normal to bloat up pre period

MrsGravy Sun 29-May-11 19:11:46

Phew. Hopefully I'll get back to losing next week then...thanks!

foreverondiet Sun 29-May-11 19:43:49

Two things, firstly yes TOTM does affect weight loss, and also, if you eat a bit more (ie Friday night) then it takes 2-3 days for that to work through - extra carbs extra water retention).

Don't weight yourself until around day 7 of your cycle and also never weight yourself within 2-3 days of a treat/cheat meal.

5lbs is unsustainable, 1 or maybe 2 lbs more realistic.

MrsGravy Sun 29-May-11 19:46:06

Thanks forever, I will disregard this Monday's weigh-in and leave it til next Friday or something before weighing again.

I didn't really think 5lb would be sustainable - would have been nice though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now