Talk

Advanced search

Look away now if squeamish - ready? right I am having a poo problem

(12 Posts)
activate Fri 27-May-11 21:58:01

been on diet for 3 weeks

am eating lots of salad, veg, fruit, wholemeal and drinking lots

I have hard poo and about once a week

not right is it? help me what am I doing rong?

GreenTeapot Fri 27-May-11 21:59:29

Not eating enough?

Maybe a few dried apricots every day?

activate Fri 27-May-11 22:07:51

dried fruit better than fresh?

am eating loads - and trying to have healthy oils too

activate Fri 27-May-11 22:08:28

the last "good poo" (sorry, sorry) was aftewr a night on red wine - what's that about?

onepieceofcremeegg Fri 27-May-11 22:10:12

exercising?

Try warm drinks. Hot water and lemon first thing in morning and at intervals during the day.

I used to find dried apricots useful.

foreverondiet Sat 28-May-11 22:51:50

Add 20g oatbran to your food twice a day (buy in in tesco near cereals or healthfood shop). Drink stacks of water. Eat a few prunes, ie 2-3 each day.

Ephiny Sun 29-May-11 09:37:07

Agree about exercising. If you're quite sedentary, you might find a good brisk walk every day helps to keep things moving smile

Maybe it's just your body adapting to less food coming through? It's not a long-term solution but you could try taking a Senekot or similar when you haven't been for a couple of days, and hopefully things will sort themselves out when you get used to the diet.

whitechocolatebuttons Sun 29-May-11 09:39:27

lentil dal. magic.

anon4now Sun 29-May-11 09:41:56

Try a double espresso or up to 1200mg magnesium - this is a muscle relaxant so has a laxative effect. Unlike herbal laxatives, your body won't get dependent on it.

anon4now Sun 29-May-11 09:43:06

Oh yes, and make sure you are drinking lots and lots of water. Food contains fluid so when you diet you automatically eat less and therefore take in less fluid - you need to drink more than normal to compensate. Lack of fluid can make you constipated.

WhatsWrongWithYou Sun 29-May-11 09:47:17

Pulses always get me moving - a good chickpea curry or veggie chilli with loads of kidney beans. Seems to speed up weight loss as well.

wildstrawberryplace Tue 31-May-11 09:22:52

psyllium husks (capsules or powder)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now