Talk

Advanced search

Kick-start ideas needed

(5 Posts)
SteelTownGirl Fri 27-May-11 09:16:44

Hi ladies, I need a bit of inspiration and motivation...I've had a few weeks at home with my DH who was temporarily out of work...we've had some nice days out AND quite a few pub lunches, glasses of wine etc.
I feel I've got very sloppy - nibbling and snacking on and off all day, not really exercising.
I'm now paying the price - about 10lbs heavier than I want to be - and somehow can't gt motivated to start a healthy eating plan and exercise.
I feel quite bloated and unfit - I'm going through menopause and taking some AD medication but that's no excuse.
AND I'm upset with myself because I have everything going for me - I belong to a gym where there's a pool and good facilities, I have a fitball and weights at home, I live in a semi-rural area where there are lovely safe places to walk - I even have an (unused) copy of the Shred DVD in my house!
I've got a real downer on myself - have any of you felt like this and do you have any tips for getting started?
Today I feel like I need a proper detox to get rid of all the rubbish I feel like I'm carrying round - but I do feel a bit cynical about the whole detocx thing.
Sorry to sound such a misery, I can't work out why I can't make a start - it's only 10lbs or so that's bugging me but it's the difference between my size12/14 clothes feeling comfortable, not tight.
Would really appreciate any support or MN wisdom...thank you xx

keynesian Fri 27-May-11 09:23:25

I wonder if the kick-start could be made by doing some planning for the next 7 days (including today)? Plan your meals, make the shopping list and timetable in the times you will be exercising.

SteelTownGirl Fri 27-May-11 09:50:01

Thanks, keynesian, that's a good idea.
Any more ideas ladies, I am feeling very low and need a boost - either that or a kick up the backside??

dotty2 Fri 27-May-11 10:05:41

I am doing WW online at the moment and it's been going quite well, but I haven't lost this week, and am also starting to realise that I have a lot more to lose than I thought when I started (like maybe 3 stone, not one and a bit...). So am similarly feeling quite miserable about my weight today.

For a quick boost, why don't you give up alcohol for a week and try low carbing. If you have carbs at breakfast time but not at lunch or dinner for a week, you should lose a few pounds. I reckon you only need to give up starchy carbs, not fruit and veg to see an impact in the short term. And the shops are full of gorgeous berries at the moment, so if you can afford to go and spend some money on lovely strawberries, blueberries and raspberries to snack on, that should stop you feeling too deprived.

foreverondiet Fri 27-May-11 12:27:50

I agree planning is a great idea. Plan what food to eat and what exercise to do. A 6 week plan is a good idea - incorporate weight loss and inch loss targets, exercise targets and plan a treat at the end. 10lbs isn't actually that much as you should be able to see a significant difference in 6 weeks.

Also in terms of detox, whilst its a great idea to give up all the junk and refined carbs, don't make the mistake of giving up lean protein as your body needs this.

Can you ask your DH to help you - eg go for walks with you, embrace some healthy eating, and encourage you to go to the gym (can he come with, can he do the weights with you at home)? Also good idea to do shopping and order healthy treat things like strawberries and low fat greek yoghurt, or nice muesli.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now