Talk

Advanced search

How do you know when you've lost enough weight?

(6 Posts)
MitchiestInge Thu 26-May-11 10:11:03

Number on the scales? Biggest dress size you're likely to need throughout various shops? Other people's opinions about your shape/size?

RuthChan Thu 26-May-11 10:29:15

When you feel happy and secure in your own body.
The only person whose opinion really counts is yourself.
You'll know when you've lost enough and feel happy with your shape.

foreverondiet Thu 26-May-11 10:29:33

I asked this a couple of months ago, and I still don’t know the answer.

My original target was 9 10 (starting weight 12 5), as that was my weight before I was pregnant with DS2 (Dc3), and after DD when I got there I thought I’d go for 9 5 my weight before I had DD(DC1). At 9 5 I thought, well thighs still chaffing and they look a bit fat and weight still coming off easily, perhaps 9 0 is better. Now I’m 8 11 (BMI is 21), and 8 10 is my floor – my weight whilst at uni.

I am quite toned and muscular though as am training for a triathlon, body fat now down to around 22% per tanita scales, but still have wobbly bum, and my face doesn’t look gaunt. Arms have definition, thighs more muscle than wobble, although still some wobble, stomach flat and can see definition.

Wearing size 10, which is fine – but in some shops esp M&S size 10 now too big. DH thinks I look great, but that ultimately its up to me what I want to weigh. My dad is GP and he thinks ok as long as I don’t let BMI go under 20 which I will not. People commenting that I look great. For the first time in my adult life I like the way my body looks.

MitchiestInge Fri 27-May-11 12:58:27

I've never felt happy and secure in my body, do people ever, really? All I know, having lived at either extreme, is that actual fat is an easier foe than imaginary, so at least have never harboured illusions about 'happiness = anything under 8 stone/size 8'!

Maybe will just see where it levels out, am active and eat well (I think) but don't have any sort of historical point where I felt 'right'. Plus am older and probably couldn't get away with being at v low weight now? Really was just wondering how far you take the 'don't lose any more' comments into consideration. It's such a difficult thing to be objective out isn't it?

AngryFeet Fri 27-May-11 13:01:49

The thing is forever I bet if you put weight on and looked back at pics of yourself now you would think wow I looked amazing, there wasn't an ounce of fat on me! This happened to me when I lost weight a few years ago and at 9st 9 I was happy but still felt I needed to lose more. Now I have put the weight on and realise I looked so so good and didn't need to lose more.

From what you say you are at the perfect weight and fitness now - if I were you I would maintain it.

foreverondiet Fri 27-May-11 13:11:31

angry I agree with what you say, although actually I don't think I need to loose more. I am perfect fitness cardio wise, still scope for some improvements on the toning / strength front.

But I hate putting a number (ie 8 stone 10 onto it). Because ultimately it depends on what you look like, and muscle weighs more than fat, and to me, I'd prefer to be very toned than look skinny.

Back to the OP - I think when you are happy with the way you look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now