Talk

Advanced search

anybody on a low GI diet, can you tell me about it?

(12 Posts)
supersalstrawberry Wed 02-Mar-11 15:10:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
supersalstrawberry Wed 02-Mar-11 17:27:35

foreverondiet Wed 02-Mar-11 18:01:42

Lots of stuff on the web...

You can have (small!) portions of "brown" carbs alongside protein and veggies:

Think:
- granary bread (or better burgen soya/linseed)
- brown or basmati rice
- wholemeal pasta
- fruit
- pulses
- root veggies (although potatoes high GI, boiled potatoes are best if you are going to eat them)

supersalstrawberry Wed 02-Mar-11 20:47:13

foreverondiet Wed 02-Mar-11 21:55:21

Basically for a low GI diet to work in conjunction with weight loss needs to be calorie controlled. Low GI is a long term way of eating but unlikely to loose weight.

Salad dressings, yes fine provided no added sugar and calories taken account of.

Low fat yoghurt, yes fine provided no added sugar and added into calorie allowance, same with all other cheese and dairy.

Eggs, yes fine they are low GI, same about calories.

Otherwise look out for Holford diet - which is GL, similar (but better) than GI.

Best diet low GI book for weight loss is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hip-Thigh-Diet-Rosemary-Conley/dp/0099517779/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1299102797&sr=8-8

Lots of meal plans, very useful.

supersalstrawberry Wed 02-Mar-11 23:23:38

foreverondiet Thu 03-Mar-11 09:19:38

You can loose weight on GI, but need to control portion sizes and calories, just like a calorie controlled diet.

Have a look at the Holford diet website and see what you think?

mogs0 Sun 06-Mar-11 18:31:12

I have been following (not rigidly) the Low GI for a week and it's the longest I've ever stuck to any kind of new eating plan.

A friend explained quite a bit about it and I have borrowed a couple of books from the library and can see it may be the thing for me.

The portion control is a real eye opener and I have been happy snacking on fruit through the day and evening instead of my normal biscuits/crisps/chocolate/toast etc etc etc.

I have a really poor attitude when it comes to food and tend to eat when I'm bored/watching tv/or just about any time really blush.

Knowing which types of food to choose and why is the key thing for me. All other diets that I've briefly glanced at haven't been very appealing because they generally just give you a meal plan to follow and if there are things I don't fancy then I dismiss the whole thing whereas with this one, because I am learning about what certain foods do/don't do, it gives me the ability to choose the ingredients I like (within reason).

I have lost 6lb this week - though have had cake and coffee today so may be less than that now blush and I have 5st to lose.

create Sun 06-Mar-11 18:39:27

I like Rosemary Connoley's GI Jeans diet, which basically combines Low GI with low fat and I find I lose weight easily without being hungry - you get plenty to eat, but no refined sugar or butter/cheese etc

It also helps to start the good habits mogs is talking about - which I generally do now (after lots of years of eating badly) and only need to "diet when a few pounds have snuck on after Christmas or holidays etc

carlywurly Sun 06-Mar-11 20:13:45

I absolutely love the low GI diet and can't believe I've not done it before. It feels healthy, I'm full on it, and I'm losing weight steadily. It makes sense to me in a way that low carbing just doesn't. I don't feel my body is missing or craving anything, and that makes it easy to stick to.

It also allows for the odd treat, I tend to have a treat meal and an afternoon tea and cake per week, and that gives me something to look forward to.

I usually have fat free greek yoghurt with wheat free muesli for breakfast, or a boiled egg with toasted slice of Burgen bread. I have soup or salad for lunch, and try to keep dinner low carb - a very small portion of brown rice, or baked sweet potato with stir fried veg, for example.

Crucially, I have the energy to exercise lots too, which I didn't while I was low carbing. Nothing but positive feedback from me! Go for it. smile

VinoEsmeralda Sun 06-Mar-11 20:16:12

Patrick Holford, honestly the best way of eating and you loose weight to boot!

amble1953 Fri 24-May-19 19:06:08

Boiled potatoes on the G.I. rating is very high, only new potatoes are within limits.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in