Talk

Advanced search

Okay - need advice

(7 Posts)
birthdaychick Wed 12-Jan-11 22:41:17

Am 5ft 2in, 15 and half stone and have a job where I sit on my arse all day. Have no money to join the gym. Could realistically exercise from about 6 - 6.45am or between 8-9pm. What shall I do? Where should I start? I can't go on like this, have to lose some weight. Enjoy swimming and dancing, but am far too fat to do either at this weight.
All advice welcome.

Ohforfoxsake Wed 12-Jan-11 23:00:33

I didn't want this to go unanswered, but on my way to bed so will come back.
I'm a big fan of low-carb and running. I go at about 6.45 in the morning. Start off walking/jogging alternating - one minute running, 1.5 mins walking. I've had good success with The Harcome Diet which is low carb and gives fast results.
I've also done ok with weightwatchers, and there's a good offer on Moneysavingexpert until Sunday I think.
Have a look at the weightloss threads on here too - there's lots of different threads to get involved in. I think it's important to find one that suits you.
Best of luck!

Ohforfoxsake Wed 12-Jan-11 23:25:14

A really good thing to do before you start is to write down what you eat. You have to be absolutely honest and write down everything. then you become more aware. For me a lot is rewarding myself (goes back a long way that one) or stress when I need something to crunch on (should keep carrot sticks on the fridge inevitably ends up with a biscuit).
I know I can do it - have done in the past - and just started my new regime with 2 stone to lose - so still in the enthusiastic phase!
Hope some of this helps.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Thu 13-Jan-11 07:41:38

Others might disagree but to start with I wouldn't worry too much about exercise, that can kick in a bit later. Or start walking, free and easy. Decide what you are going to do foodwise, lots of different plans to choose from, then join a thread on here for support.

Once the first stone or two comes off, exercise gets easier. I wasn't up to much exercise wise when I joined SW in July last year, but now 2.5stone lighter it is much easier and I do exercise regularly. You can do this, it's getting started and accepting it's going to take time to sort and setting lots of mini goals as the overall picture can be overwhelming. Good luck.

birthdaychick Thu 13-Jan-11 11:30:19

Thank you for responding, you're really kind.
I've decided I'm going to start by going for a walk in the mornings (will build up to running) and look at my eating.
I'm also asking for an exercise dvd for my birthday (mid Feb) so I could think about alternating the morning walk with a workout. Thank you for your good wishes.

dinkystinky Thu 13-Jan-11 11:35:57

Start off with walking/running for exercise - if the weather is awful do an exercise dvd (try the Davina 30 minute work outs - I actually think they are much better than the dreaded Shred for an all round work out and you get a good stretch at the end). Make it a daily appointment to do some exercise in which ever slot you pick and make sure you do it - once you find some exercise you enjoy it makes it so much easier too! Try and up your water intake, join a weight loss thread on here and take it slow and steady - you will do it.

Ohforfoxsake Thu 13-Jan-11 11:40:09

I think that sounds like a very good plan smile.

Do away with the concept of dieting and look at your diet. I don't know about you, but I find I shove things in my mouth without really realising!

If you want to PM me your email I'll send you the magazine article for the low carb. It doesn't combine protein and carbs -'but the real beauty of it is it starts with a 5 day detox which does away with cravings for refined carbs caused by candida (thrush) and wheat intolerence which can cause bloating. It's also very healthy and largely protein/vegetable/low fat dairy based. You go through a hideous time due to caffine withdrawl on days3 and 4 but it comes good by day 5. It's not a hardcore detox, but it gives your body q chance to sort itself and get a balance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now