Talk

Advanced search

Where can I weigh myself?

(11 Posts)
Anonymousbird Mon 10-Jan-11 10:12:18

Silly perhaps, but we have no scales, so how/where do I weigh myself (preferably in a not very public place!). I need somewhere I can go back to every couple of weeks...

And no, not going to ask a friend - sorry, no can do. Needs to be "anonymous" and unnoticed.

I am not a member of a gym or leisure centre and not intending to become one.

Where else is there?!

Thanks

TartyMcFarty Mon 10-Jan-11 11:40:42

Can't think of anywhere that's not public. Gyms / leisure centres do tend to be a bit more private than the ones in public loos or whatever, but as you say, you don't plan to go to one.

Do you have any Boots points that you could treat yourself to a set of scales with? I have some great Tanita ones that monitor all sorts of things.

flamingpants Mon 10-Jan-11 11:44:39

Our local GP has one, perhaps yours does?

LovePinkBitsOfMyHorse Mon 10-Jan-11 11:46:26

Have you thought of buying some scales?

Furball Mon 10-Jan-11 11:48:39

Boots usually have scales, not very private though - usually wedged in the corner of some busy aisle

mothersmilk Mon 10-Jan-11 12:00:09

boots also make ALOT of noise im not overweight but cant get scales as dh thinks it means iv an eating dissorder(not true i will add) but i do like to know if i have gained a few pounds so i can do something about it. My swimming pool has one which is tucked tin the corner and is only 20p also its one of the old fashioned ones so no noise but failing that i think boots (makes me selfconcious though lots of beeps and 'STAND STILL' comands)

Anonymousbird Mon 10-Jan-11 12:36:22

I have thought of buying.. but having got through 42 years of my life without them, and without having any weight obsessions (I simply need to lose a stone or so that has "slipped" on in the last 6 months) I don't want to become obsessed with my weight!!

Silly, I am sure. Not sure I could handle the whole Boots experience... and what if someone you know walks in?! On reflection, perhaps buying is preferable!

Murtette Mon 10-Jan-11 13:55:21

OP - I used the ones in Boots on a more or less weekly basis and never saw anyone I knew. I did feel v self conscious though. I always weighed myself at the same time every week, wore more or less the same outfit and definitely the same shoes (which were ones I could slip off easily). One thing I liked was you got a little printed ticket which told you how much you weighed so it was easy to track losses and you couldn't kid yourself if you gained.

Anonymousbird Mon 10-Jan-11 17:17:45

Presumably one pays to use a Boots one? How much is it? I do hope you don't have to go to the desk and ASK to use it?!?!? Must be coin operated!!!

BlackBag Thu 13-Jan-11 17:08:02

I'm in same boat, no scales growing up, slowly put on weight over last year, etc, etc.

Went to Boots earlier in week, the 'speak at you' weighing machine was right by the pharmacy bit, they laughed when I said 'at least it does n't shout your weight out'. It says things like, stand up straight, hold handles, etc. I'm guessing that the Boots staff hear about boils and itches in unexpected areas all the time so one slightly podgy, stressed looking mother weighing herself in January is just like another.

50p for your weight and height printed out on a ticket with your BMI and what to aim for. 70p if you want your % fat as well.

Will probably go again in a month, don't want to get adddicted to measuring each pound but will probably be keeping a keen eye out for scales where ever I go somewhere else now.

RiceBurner Fri 14-Jan-11 12:37:05

Get some (cheap) scales and hide them under the bed or somewhere ... then use them (secretly) in the bedroom/bathroom? Not on carpet tho if u can help it. (Scales work better on solid floors.)

I don't agree that using scales automatically leads to eating disorders. Anyway, isn't being overweight also a (sort of) eating disorder, which u are trying to fix by eating better/less & checking on your weight regularly?

The advantage to having ur own scales = u can weight urself without clothes, to makes things fair/even/std.

First thing in morning is good time to weigh in ... naked & after weeing of course! Then if weight not looking "good", u should strengthen ur resolve to make it a 'good' day .. by eating a bit less &/or moving a bit more/faster?

Makes mornings a bit more exciting as well ... the anticipation of maybe seeing a number which is a tiny bit lower?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: