Talk

Advanced search

Plan for losing weight – feedback please!

(5 Posts)
MediumOrchid Fri 07-Jan-11 13:58:48

I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on my plan for losing weight, or give me some reassurance that it will work.

Bit of background - I'm over 2 stone overweight, not that much but I'm only 5 foot 2 so it shows quite a lot. I've put this weight on over the last three years, and over the last year and a half I've been trying to lose it, and failing miserably! It's the classic story: find new diet, get excited about the prospect of losing weight, diet successfully for 1-2 weeks, lose up to 8lb or so, fall off the wagon and pile it all back on (and more). I've found low carbing very effective, but I can't keep it up for long enough and I find it very hard to fit into my life. It's like I have two modes: 'on a diet' or 'eating as much as I can before I have to go on the next diet'. Crazy stuff - but very common from what I've read on here.

Anyway - I've decided that a new approach is needed, focussing much more on exercise and getting back to eating normally. So this is what I've started doing and plan to keep doing long term:

30 day shred every morning (at least on weekdays but I'll try to do weekends too - I've been lurking on the Shredhead threads!)

Couch to 5k, running at least 3 times a week, in the evening before dinner.

Cooking a meal almost every night - simple, healthy food. Too often I can't be bothered to cook so it ends up being something thrown in the oven - pizza, chips etc. So my focus will start on eating proper food. I'll try to cut down on carbs where possible, but won't obsess about it. If I can, I'll have my evening meal without potatoes, pasta, rice or bread, but won't worry much beyond that.

My concerns with this approach are:

-Because I'm exercising more I'll build up muscle and won't see any weight loss, which will dishearten me.
-That I'm mixing up diets in what I'm eating - I've just starting using my collection of Good Food magazines for recipes, which focus on low fat eating, whereas from everything I've read low carb is the better way to lose weight.

Do you think I'm likely to lose weight well like this? I've never done exercise DVDs before or run regularly, so will the addition of these make the difference? And can anyone see any problems with my plan? I'd feel more confident about sticking to this if I had some confidence it's going to work.

Sorry - that was really long!

paarrp Fri 07-Jan-11 14:04:58

It looks good on paper but in reality I think you have set yourself far too many goals - which if you 'break' any of them will lead to a downward spiral.

For now I would just do one lot of exercise - the shred will give you the quickest visible results and then introduce teh running once you've finished the first 30 days. This will mean that your body will be fitter and more responsive to an increase in exercise.

Try meal planning to help you with the home cooked meal this means that you will only have to think about what food you're going to eat once a week and will mean that you only need to do a weekly shop - and no need to buy convenience food either - remember though that homecooked doesn't necessarily mean that it will always be a healthier option - remember to keep a check on portion sizes as well.

Good luck

MediumOrchid Fri 07-Jan-11 14:13:12

Yes, paarrp, meal planning is good - I plan several meals a week but not necessarily every day - I think I need to be more structured. And you're right about the portion sizes.

I don't know about the running - I went for a run last night and felt so energised I don't want to stop! But I'll bear it in mind if I feel that I'm trying to do too much.

Cyb Fri 07-Jan-11 14:16:25

If you are upping your exercise in whatever form, and cutting your portion size ADn not nibbling between meals, you can't go wrong ca you?

You will be living like someone who has control over their eating habits and can choose what they eat

Good luck!

(I'm doiong it too FWIW-can you tell I'm trying to convince myself at the same time)

sweetheart Fri 07-Jan-11 14:18:52

it sounds like you have picked up alot of unhealthy eating habits from various diets. Can I recommend the Paul McKenna book "I can make you thin" not with a view to using it as a diet but more to teach yourself how to eat properly again and use food as fuel for your body rather than an emotional crutch.

I'd also say that whilst having a focus of what you'd like to loose is ok perhaps you should be less concered with your weight. If you exercise you will build muscle which might slow down your weight loss BUT you will lose inches off your body. Perhaps it would be a better idea to aim for a certain size clothing instead.

On the whole if you are being more active - in any aspect, and eating a health and balanced diet you WILL see the benefit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: