Talk

Advanced search

How can I help my friend?

(3 Posts)
cabbageroses Mon 03-Jan-11 16:21:31

Not sure if this is the right forum- but here goes.

My good friend is easily 2-3 st overweight and I am worried about her health. She does no exercise, is aged 51, there is early heart disease/stroke in her family but she does not seem to regard herself at risk.

She started to try to lose weight last year but wasn't really eating healthily and gave up very easily.

Sometimes she mentions her weight in passing along the lines that nothing looks good on her ( clothes) but otherwise she seems to bury her head in the sand.

I suppose I should live and let live, but I just wish I could support her to lose weight- but don't know how to bring it up or take her up on it tactfully when she next mentions it.

DooinMeCleanin Mon 03-Jan-11 16:24:06

I wouldn't mention it all tbh. It won't do her self esteem any good. My mum constantly comments on my weight and it makes me feel like shit.

Why not tell her you are looking for a new swimming/walking/cycling buddy to help you with your New Years resolution.

cabbageroses Mon 03-Jan-11 16:29:36

I just wonder if when she mentions it, I can somehow take her further along those lines and get her to commit?

we tried going walking together but she has had to give up due to an injury.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: