Talk

Advanced search

Kinect Your Fitness

(68 Posts)
Sassyfrassy Sun 26-Dec-10 23:03:00

Having received a Kinect for Christmas I am now going to try to do some good excercise using the fitness program.

I thought it would be great if others who are using the Kinect to excercise and lose weight to get together and share thoughts and progress.

I did a cardio boxing and a zen work out class today which was good. I also played Kinect adventures for an hour which left me dripping but it was really good fun.

Tomorrow my plan is to do a personal trainer session, a cardio boxing and then finish with Zen for winding down.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Mon 27-Dec-10 07:40:17

Good idea! I haven't got the fitness one but I am going to get it. Yesterday I spent about half an hour on the dance one which I'm going to do again but in the workout mode rather than battle, we were having competitions.

I'm also going to do some boxing as was totally shattered after that on Christmas day. Before I do anything though I am going to face the scales and see what damage I've done.

Sassyfrassy Mon 27-Dec-10 11:59:10

How is the dance game? I havent bought it yet as I am not superkeen on modern dance music, but I hear rumours of a Michael Jackson coming out.

The fitness program is pretty cool, I like that it can tell if you're doing it right or not.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Mon 27-Dec-10 13:45:23

I'm not hugely keen on the music and would have loved some of the 80's stuff to relieve my youth. But I find it doesn't matter, you are focusing so much on what you ard doing. It's good for the whole family as you can set it to have a dance battle and set the level for each person. So 7 year old DS can do easy whilst someone else goes against him on medium. I still haven't done the workout on it, not sure I will manage today as have been shovelling snow and dog walking.

Sassyfrassy Mon 27-Dec-10 14:07:36

Might just have to get Dance Central then to try it out. Was pleased to see a Blur song for it on the marketplace. Just need to get 5 year old dd off it playing kinectimals. She is absolutely hooked on playing with her jaguar cub.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Mon 27-Dec-10 14:32:36

Similar problem here, DS is chucking a frisbee at some pigs DH has informed me, he's a lynx . The dog gets very excited when it is on too! I'm going to start really seriously once holidays over but will fit in what I can before. I'm fairly sure Kinect has helped me lose a pound since last Thursday despite a major blow out Christmas Day, so am vey pleased.

Sassyfrassy Mon 27-Dec-10 15:27:55

I am terribly unfit and feel sore all over today so I might just go with some gentle Tai Chi today. Ihave high hopes for using the Kinect for excercise, it's definately fun. And I do love that dd enjoy playing more than watching telly, helps her run off some energy.

happygolucky0 Mon 27-Dec-10 15:50:07

yes brought ds one for xmas great to see him moving as Sassyfrassy says, Doesnt let me have a turn much though.

Curiousmama Mon 27-Dec-10 15:51:18

Great idea Sassyfrassy wink

WynkenBlynkenandNod Tue 28-Dec-10 18:12:47

Was so knackered after trying the workout mode on Dance central that I posted on the wrong thread! 17 mins of dancing, 117 calories and I was a very thirsty wreck. Went on wii fit plus on the rhythm Kung fu job and the marching parade and no comparison, much harder work on Kinect.

I've been using it to earn activity points on WW as ate rather too many on Christmas Day and trying to compensate.

Sassyfrassy Tue 28-Dec-10 18:15:56

I picked up Dance Central today and had a go at Lady Gaga, needless to say I was atrocious so will try again tonight. i was surprised at what a good excercise it was though to do dancing and look forward to doing more. I feel like I have lots of different options now with the kinect which is nice

Well done on 117 calories Wynken, it takes more than you think I always find to burn over 100 calories.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Tue 28-Dec-10 18:28:07

Thanks Sassy, think it is because I am so flipping heavy though! Lady Gaga gets easier after the first few times, I got 5 stars on that earlier. Evacuate the dance floor is driving me nuts, I just can't get 4 stars. It's always a tiny bit out, really tiny and DH reckons we need to get 4 stars on it to unlock something. I can see this making a fair difference to my not great fitness levels and hopefully giving my weightloss a boost.

Sassyfrassy Tue 28-Dec-10 22:17:13

I've only managed 2 stars on lady gaga and 2 stars on the next song. I've had to use break it down to get even that =)

Those photos they take of you are seriously unflattering, especially when I am dancing in my jammies. A good motivator I suppose =)

I am 14.4 stones and would like to lose 2 stones for the summer and 4 stones all in all during the next year. My plan is lots of Kinect and I also use herbalife shakes. I started drinking them in september and lost a stone without any trouble (my mum converted me) but then got lazy and started just skipping meals again. I am terrible for not bothering to eat so my body always thinks it is starving.

WilfShelf Tue 28-Dec-10 22:19:52

Oooh, me too. I did the Zen/Cardio today. A whole 100 calories. Woohoo. Will now read rest of thread...

WilfShelf Tue 28-Dec-10 22:23:12

Right. Sounds like I need Dance Central too. Have been coveting it anyhow since I had a go on the Wii dance thing - and have heard the Kinect one is much better though harder?

I am planning to start with 20 mins a day and then increase gradually...

We have ADventures and Sports also - if anyone can recommend good workout stuff on there I'd be grateful. I have found the Gym Games on the fitness thing quite good fun also...

Sassyfrassy Tue 28-Dec-10 23:33:17

Wilfshelf, welcome to the thread.

I've got adventures and it's good fun. The obstacle course is my favourite on there and I think gives you a decent cardio.

Dance central is definately good. You can't get away with just waggling a control. The Kinect could even tell if I wasn't wiggling my hips properly =)

Anyone else gotten a bit achy from overdoing it a bit? I think I've just had a bit too much fun and have done much much more excercise using Kinect than I would normally do. (normally = 0)

I haven't tried out sports yet, you'll have to try some games out on there and report back =)

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 29-Dec-10 07:13:20

Hi Wilf, yes you do need Dance Central! I can't do 20 mins yet, 17 finished me off yesterday.

Sassy, I was a wreck Boxing day, ached all over by the end of the day. Ironically it was the boxing that did it I think! That's the only time I have used the sport one so far. DS wants me to go on the adventure one today so will try that and have another go at Evacuate the dance floor.

WilfShelf Wed 29-Dec-10 22:02:46

Oh yeah. Oh yeah. Oh yeah.

<that's me waving my arms at my 5 stars on Lady Gaga...>

OK, that's the easiest. But.

I ran to the shops today since I was motivated to exercise. I did 20 mins on fitness this morning then tried Dance Central this evening. Bloody brilliant. I have not worked out how to get it in workout mode though... Any tips?

Sassyfrassy Wed 29-Dec-10 22:37:40

5 stars is great! I was going to come here and brag about my 4 stars on pokerface blush. I do have the coordination of a stranded whale though. I have to do breakdown on every song and then slow things down. Have just done 20 minutes and am dripping with sweat, yuck.

In a slightly overconfident move I had a go at the Kylie Minogue song. I am very good at the move where you just hold your arms out as if you're flying =)

I estimate that I will be out of christmas chocolates in another day or two so can start in earnest then with eating less sweets and chocolate.

FoJo Thu 30-Dec-10 15:32:13

Can someone help me plse. We have had a wii for ages and ds got xbox kinnect for xmas and dance central came as part of package. DD already has just dance 2 for wii (yes the spoilt family!)and music is way better than that for dance central but never mind. DD and I did a dance battle yesterdsay and she was playuer 1 & i was no 2. Today I am in by myself and have just done workout (about 40 mins to burn 210 calories wahaay) but as I was the only on one it's calling me player 1. Can it save my stats/progress etc (it seems to say that it can), how does it know who I am? On the Wii we all have our little me's and when i do wii fit (whihc i havent for a while!) you start off by telling it who you are (iyswim) but there doesnt seem to be anywhere on xbox to do that, am I being thick (or should i just ask ds when he gets back!!). Thanks

Sassyfrassy Thu 30-Dec-10 17:42:24

Have you set it up to recognise you? If so, it should when you start up the xbox sign you in automatically. You could always try signing everyone but you out on the dashboard before starting the game.

ilythia Thu 30-Dec-10 20:47:08

Ooh, can I come in? I have got your fitness on the kinect from DH for christmas, and going to start it next week once DD's are not in the house (the kinect's one weakness, overexcited toddlers...) I haven't got the dance one but the avatar on the fitness thing scared the crap out of me, not flattering, but very realistic!

I have my own profile on the xbox already so try setting up your profile out of the kinect in the dashboard and then get it to sig you in, when I did it calibrated for me and now recognises me when I stand in front of it.

Sassyfrassy Thu 30-Dec-10 23:02:30

Welcome ilythia. I call my avatar on the your fitness game, the jellyblob and try to look on it as motivating =) It is awfully unflatterint though, but even my sil who is superthin looked a bit fat on it.

minipen Thu 30-Dec-10 23:16:23

Hi all,

marking my place on here I bought the biggest loser game before Christmas, it's still in its carboard packaging I can't say I have noticed a difference since it arrived!

I will update when I actually open it.

I would welcome opinions on the zumba dance, amazon reviews do not sound very good.

I can vouch for sports motion, great fun, hard work and lots of different activities so you can ache all over the next day.

Fernie3 Thu 30-Dec-10 23:37:19

I have dance central and the fitness one ( your shape?) i love dance central but haven't really tried the fitness one yet the children keep standing in front of me and making it go funny angry.
I did the fitness test and set up my profile so far but that's it lol .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now