Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything in this at all?

(4 Posts)
NorhamGardens Tue 07-Dec-10 10:05:13

I have heard that your 'attitude' to food influences whether you gain weight or not irrespective of calorie intake.

For example a depressed couch potato who 'expects' to gain weight will indeed get fat. On the other hand a busy, upbeat, person who eats the same amount as the couch potato but does not 'fear' weight gain won't get fat? (Without taking activity into it).

We gain weight because we expect to. We panic if we don't eat and it's this that broadly causes us to starve and so on. It sounds so far fetched but apparently it ties into quantum physics on some level etc?

Perhaps someone learned can explain? I was shocked when a respected, intelligent colleague came out with this the other day!

BusyMisstletoeIzzy Tue 07-Dec-10 15:50:18

Sounds like bullshit to me. As far as I'm aware, if you consume more calories than you burn, you put on weight. The only "emotional" aspect is that how you feel can affect what and how much you eat (i.e. some people eat when they are bored/tired/lonely/sad rather than when they are hungry.)

NorhamGardens Tue 07-Dec-10 16:06:11

I would tend to agree. I did go to a positive psychology seminar a few years back where the guy giving the talk touched on this however. I'd be really interested if anyone can explain the apparent 'science' behind the theory.

BusyMisstletoeIzzy Tue 07-Dec-10 16:17:00

I think the key word there is "apparent" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now