Talk

Advanced search

Sugar Addict

(15 Posts)
AppleHEAD Sun 05-Dec-10 08:29:26

I am eating too much sugar.... And have put on a stone since Easter. Anyone want to join me in a no frills healthy attempt at losing about 2 stone..or more! I don't eat crisps, burgers or chips but I can eat sugar like you wouldn't believe. I am going to try healthy low fat foods. Lots of veg and some good carbs. Not the best time to start but I could find sugar in the desert so when is?

Italiangreyhound Sat 11-Dec-10 00:04:46

AppleHEAD* I am trying to do Rosemary Conley which is low fat but this is a terrible time to do it! Can you find anything you like that is not sugar? I mean sweet things like sweet potatoes (roasted in their skins), sweet cherry tomatoes, crunchy carrot sticks and the like!

Good luck.

WhatsWrongWithYou Sat 11-Dec-10 00:10:32

I found this useful a few years ago; I wasn't overweight, but had depression and mood-swings.

Warning: if you try and cut out sugar without increasing your protein it will be very hard. But if you give yourself time to give up sugar completely you will lose weight and never feel hungry.

AppleHEAD Tue 14-Dec-10 20:39:12

Thank you I will buy that it looks amazing. It all went a bit wrong for me when my daughter died she was stillborn. I feel like I am comforting myself ALL the time!!

Italiangreyhound Tue 14-Dec-10 23:31:00

AppleHEAD so sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope you are getting some help, counselling or whatever. I think that will be the biggest help for you right now rather than trying to follow a diet.

Try and eat healthily if you can as this may give you strength for all you are going through, but I would allow yourself some treats. You've had a terrible shock. Whether it was a few months or a few years ago, it takes time to heal from this type of thing, and comfort eating is well known. I hope you have some sympathetic friends in RL and support that is helpful to you. There are bereavement threads on Mumsnet, do you use them?

Thinking of you.

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 15-Dec-10 06:16:09

I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter.

As Greyhound says, you need to be good to yourself in any way you can but if you think your diet is making you feel worse can I advise that any changes you make are gradual - over several weeks or even months, not days.

Coming off sugar can be very challenging and, although it's tempting to rush in and cut it out completely, this usually backfires and can turn into a pretty hideous experience.

I wish you the best.

AppleHEAD Wed 15-Dec-10 11:30:33

Thanks so much. She would be 4 now and starting school in Jan. I think it is a bit like I have just made the connection. I am doing ok so far today... sugar free but eating nice things. I am making soup for lunch. Thanks for the support

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 15-Dec-10 12:56:04

It's all part of looking after yourself, isn't it? Don't forget to add cheese/nuts/ some kind of protein < stern look >.
Hope it starts to help you feel better.

Italiangreyhound Wed 15-Dec-10 20:13:00

AppleHEAD I agree with WhatsWrongWithYou do it gradually, be kind to yourself.

Do you have a supportive husband/partner or are you on your own. If you don't have support from a partner or if your partner is not great at talking etc would it help to find others to talk to about how you feel. Do you have other kids/a child? Don;t answer is you don't want to. All the best. I am sure you will feel better fo rthe healthier diet, sugar and fat (bad fat I mean NOT fish oil and nuts and stuff) are things which an affect your mood and make life harder for you. When you eat better your mind is clearer and that may help you deal with your grief and also with your life how it is.

Sorry to pry, thinking of you.

lickeyloo Mon 20-Dec-10 16:52:02

Applehead,I am so so sorry to hear about your daughter. I'm also a sugar addict but have been doing India knight ipd. The only thing that worked for me was to go cold turkey and don't believe the books when they say it only takes a week and you'll be rid of your addiction. I'm finding 8 weeks later that I still get sugar cravings but not as bad. I've moved to being able to satisfy my choc cravings with dark choc. Low carb could be the way to go. Good luck!

PercyPigPie Wed 22-Dec-10 22:45:09

Sorry to hear about your daughter AppleHead sad. Have you tried a low GI diet? it is all about evening out sugar highs and lows and only eating food that is not easily converted to simple sugar. I was also addicted to sugar and it has helped me a lot (though have lapsed the last few days).

AppleHEAD Mon 27-Dec-10 21:45:18

I haven't been too bad over Christmas but really intend to get a grip this week.

Italiangreyhound Wed 05-Jan-11 22:53:35

All the very best AppleHEAD. Glad Christmas has gone well for you.

Italiangreyhound Sat 08-Jan-11 18:35:15

Hi AppleHEAD how are you doing?

ilovemyhens Sat 08-Jan-11 20:01:29

I've cut out sugar recently and my cravings are under control and I don't feel hungry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: