Talk

Advanced search

Healthy BMI but high body fat %?

(8 Posts)
NorhamGardens Fri 03-Dec-10 12:09:51

My BMI is 22 but my body fat % is 32%. I would like to get it down dramatically.

My diet is good. I exercise twice a week (strength) and run a couple of times. Thanks.

I think I need to up my strength training?

What changes do I need to make in my diet? Thanks for the tips previously, I hadn't realised what my body fat % was at this point. In denial!

I haven't eaten white pasta or chips for more than 2 years now and I don't eat fried food at all.

I try to eat a very healthy, balanced diet. Reason I've outlawed the above is that I can't control myself if I allow myself even a small portion!

TheFoosa Fri 03-Dec-10 12:12:36

how do you work out % body fat?

not that I want to know really

[scared]

NorhamGardens Fri 03-Dec-10 12:15:31

Part of a medical but some electronic scales will tell you - think they pass a current through body and it can calculate it reasonably accurately. Or something like that.

My medical stats say that you are expected to have more body fat the older you are & take this into account when calculating the 'healthy range'.

nocake Fri 03-Dec-10 12:55:46

Electronic scales are very poor at measuring body fat percentage. I assume the person who did yours used calipers?

I would suggest increasing your cardio exercise rather than doing more weights. If your diet is good then you just need to eat less. Also be scrupulously honest with yourself about what you're eating. It's very easy to persuade yourself that your diet is good even when you're eating quite a lot of high fat or high calorie food.

LostGirl Fri 03-Dec-10 13:02:24

Weight training will definitely help you lose fat. When most people diet a lot of the weight they lose comes from lean muscle mass rather than fat... it is perfectly possible to have a high body fat . Weight training will not only help increase your lean muscle mass which in turn will ensure you will burn more calories throughout the day but will also ensure that any weight you do lose through healthy eating will be fat loss rather than lean muscle loss.

Jumpty Fri 03-Dec-10 22:07:16

Are you sure you need to lose fat? You don't seem to be overweight so if you're happy with your shape and what you eat in general, don't worry about it. These numbers are just guidelines.

ivykaty44 Sun 05-Dec-10 20:34:46

electronic scales are v porr as nocake says - calipers

though height to waist measurement is fairly good here

dinkystinky Sun 05-Dec-10 20:37:02

You need to up cardio - challenge your body in different ways, if you're running try a different form of cardio (rowing, swimming, classes) - and contineu with weights at least 3 times a week. Again, dont get stuck in a rut - change your routines from sessions to session.

In terms of food, natural unprocessed food is the way forwards. Lots of water, Increase protein intake to help muscle repair after training etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: