Advanced search

To Shred or Not To Shred?

(41 Posts)
DandyLioness Fri 12-Nov-10 16:27:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Joby1970 Fri 12-Nov-10 17:01:20

SHred def

Joby1970 Fri 12-Nov-10 17:03:02

LOl - yes you can do it every day - I did it for 6 days out of 7 the first time round. YOu will ache ( a lot) tho. I found it really helped me to lose inches - combined with a healthy eating plan.
You can do running too - but I would see how you feel on a daily basis.

come & join us on our thread for any hints tips & support.

octopusinabox Fri 12-Nov-10 17:17:56

I don't get the big deal about this video. I watched a bit of it on youtube and it looked quite dull - lots of star jumps and pushups but not much else. Am I missing something?

DandyLioness Fri 12-Nov-10 19:57:23

notyummy Fri 12-Nov-10 22:57:44

Octopus- I think the difference is the intensity compared to mist other exercise DVDs. Also because it is so intense - you should literally feel like you cannot do another rep - then it us short. The dual exercises do challenge the body more than singles as well.

ledodgy Fri 12-Nov-10 23:02:10

the shrdnis good but if you are used to exercising perhaps instead you could get her burn fat boost metabolism and her no trouble zones dvds and alternate them. one is more cardio the other is more weights/strength. i have done the shred and now im doing these. They are about 50 mins long but more intense and if you are fit already you should be able to do them and the results will be quicker than the shred if you diet as well.

DandyLioness Fri 12-Nov-10 23:05:42

ledodgy Fri 12-Nov-10 23:06:56

yes definitely. Its Jillian Michaels. She is really good not all perky like some are and shes really encouraging.

LostGirl Sat 13-Nov-10 05:36:17

I think the key is that at the moment anything new will work. They say that the best workout is the one you haven't done yet, meaning that you need to keep changing your workouts to keep challenging your body, so you could either switch between the two dvd's ledodgy suggests for a month or you could do the shred and your running for a month, you will see results with both. The key is to keep challenging yourself and, as notyummy said, you should feel like at the end of each set you should not be able to do another rep, so once you reach the point where you don't feel like this you need to up the weights.

This is where I would favour the shred as you can keep switching between the different workouts, so as your body gets used to one then you move on the next, by the time you get back around to doing level 1 again then you can do re-do it with heavier weights so it will be a new challenge.
If you alternate the shred with running, try and switch up your running sessions as well and introduce speed intervals or hill intervals once a week.

Remember to take a recovery day during the week as well as it is during the time off that your muscles actually rebuild and get stronger.

Mummalish Sat 13-Nov-10 08:52:37

Did the shred for the first time last night. It was hard as I am unfit. I did all of it, as she said.

However, I am not sore this morning, did I do something wrong?

LostGirl Sat 13-Nov-10 13:05:15

It often takes 24 hours for the muscles to start aching so you may well feel it this evening. Even if you don't it does not mean that it is not working. I change my workouts every three weeks and I only ever feel stiff after doing the first one of a new session.

DandyLioness Sat 13-Nov-10 14:13:08

LostGirl Sat 13-Nov-10 14:20:52

Strength workouts will burn fat, possibly more so than straight cardio workouts as when you work with weights you are trying to increase your lean muscle mass so your body burns fat both during and for a long time after you have finished working out. When you just do straight cardio then your body can actually feel a need to hold onto the fat in a 'survival mode' and will start to burn muscle for fuel after a while. So if you are already running then three weights sessions a week would be a great idea. Loads of great stuff you can do with a stability ball. What sort of free weights do you have, any chance they are adjustable dumbbells?

DandyLioness Sat 13-Nov-10 14:31:05

LostGirl Sat 13-Nov-10 14:46:31

Ah, well sadly fat loss is 80% down to eating properly and 20% to exercise. I have exercised for years but always stayed away from anything other than the 'barbie weights' for fear of bulking up and looking like Arnie. Thankfully at the beginning of the year I read a book which changed my mind and I have dropped three dress sizes just through weight training and one interval session a week, and switching to eating every three hours throughout the day, which means I never feel hungry so don't end up picking/snacking/craving crap.

It doesn't sound like you need to buy anything, just dust off the dumbbells and give your dvds a try. Make sure you are using heavy enough weights so that you feel like you can't do anymore reps by the time you get to the end of the set. I find the problem with dvd's is that you often need to change the weight for different exercises which can take a while with the adjustable dumbbells, but it is worth pausing the dvd and doing it. Try doing the dvd for a couple of weeks and then you can always put together your own programme, you have the same equipment as what I used for the first four months.

Do make sure you leave 48 hours between weight training sessions though, and try to eat a high protein snack within an hour of finishing your workout as this will help your muscles recover.

Don't worry too much if your weight doesn't go down that much. When you lift, your muscles breakdown and then they need water to help them recover and rebuild so they retain it when you first start lifting. Drinking lots of water throughout the day will help. If you want to track your progress measure yourself now and then again before your holiday, this will give you a far better indication of your success than the scales will.

Good luck!

DandyLioness Sat 13-Nov-10 14:52:57

LostGirl Sat 13-Nov-10 15:08:54

I personally wouldn't aim to drop a specific number of sizes in a a specific number of weeks. Everybody is different and no two people will respond to an exercise and healthy eating plan in the same way. I think all you can do is to aim to stick to your workouts and try to make healthy choices with regards to food. The key is to make changes in your life and diet that you can stick to for the forseeable future and the best way to do that is often to break it down into baby steps, which you have already started doing. You started running, you cut out chocolate and fizzy drinks, brilliant. So the next step can be to start the weight training. Is three sessions a week something you can feel you can fit in easily and stick to? If not, just aim for 2 a week, you can always increase it in the future.

With regards to food, do you feel you eat healthily, just too much, or do you live on gregg's sausage rolls and fruit shoots wink
Do you eat breakfast?

For me I have always been an emotional eater and would turn to chocolate, cake etc when tired and feeling down. I finally recognised that eating this food actually made me feel even more tired and depressed after the initial lift, and I found I was eating them more out of habit than because they tasted good. I started off by swapping the cheap chocolate for expensive stuff and eating it more slowly. I would have some every evening and eventually I stopped wanting it even then, with the exception of when suffering from pmt. I also ate far too many carbs, especially bread and pasta. I still eat them but have smaller portions and larger portions of protein, eg chicken, lean steak, tuna etc.
I massively increased the amount of veg that I had with each meal.

DandyLioness Sat 13-Nov-10 15:18:57

LostGirl Sat 13-Nov-10 15:45:47

What time do you normally run, because if you are going to have lunch/dinner when you get back then you don't need to worry. Eggs are a great source of protein, I tend to eat extra egg whites and discard some yolks (but not all as they also contain protein and are a good source of 'good' fats). Cold sliced meat, such as chicken breast, lean ham etc, try and stay away from processed stuff if possible. Nuts are great for protein and good fats, just obviously not too many! I sometimes have a protein shake if I am in a rush but they taste gross and are full of aspartame so I tend to avoid if possible. I am a really fussy eater so tend to eat the same things week in, week out and am quite happy to snack on hard boiled eggs or a tin of tuna blush. Do you like things like hummous? That with some pepper strips to dip is a good snack, as is apple dipped in peanut butter apparently.

Lunch is always a huge salad, small piece of cheese, lots of chicken, eggs or tuna and a seeded wholegrain roll heated up in the oven with a bit of butter melted on it, yum!

Sorry, not the best person to ask for inspiring menu suggestions am I!!! Have you heard of eating 'clean', it basically means that you only eat natural stuff that has been grown, or killed, ie nothing processed. You could try googling that and see if any recipes appeal.

Try adding some protein to your breakfast if you don't already have any as this really does keep you feeling fuller for longer. Try and think of a snack that you can have about 3hours later, something that has carbs and protein in it and you will enjoy. At the moment I love chicken slices wrapped around loads of baby spinach, but I do realise I could be alone in that!! By eating every three hours your energy levels stay consistent and you don't actually feel hungry ever. I found chewing gum was a god send for the times when I wanted to eat but wasn't actually hungry.

What do you like to snack on at the moment?

LostGirl Sat 13-Nov-10 15:52:44

Congratulations by the way on what you have achieved so far. Don't spoil it now by setting yourself impossible goals for your holiday. Think about it more long term and the fact that in five weeks you will be feeling and looking better than you were at the beginning of the year and congratulate yourself on that, don't go on holiday thinking ,'well I didn't manage to drop 2 dress sizes'.

hmc Sat 13-Nov-10 16:11:43

LostGirl - you should make a career out of this! You sound very well informed.

Just tried out shredding having been too scared for a while grin. Only did level 1 and felt completely knackered in a very satisfying way. Have been doing Davina Fit, Rosemary Conley and Nell McAndrew for the last couple of weeks, but heck this shredding is the big daddy of exercise dvds!

DandyLioness Sat 13-Nov-10 16:18:48

LostGirl Sun 14-Nov-10 05:30:21

hmc when I used exercise dvd's I never even dared to pick up the nell mcandrew one, it's reputation preceded itself as being very long and very hard.

Dandylioness, stop beating yourself up, you have made long term changes to your eating and fitness habits and as you yourself said, have lost 10lbs 'effortlessly', there is nothing for you to feel lazy and stupid about here at all. You will always have days where you have a 'blow out' and eat more than you need to because you are having a bad day or you are going to a dinner party or something. This is just life and you just go back to your normal habits the next day. What you will notice though is the longer you stick to the healthy, regular eating is that when you do have an over eating day you will feel like crap, in a physical sense, not an emotional guilty one. You will find it's harder to exercise, will feel more lethargic etc. This in itself becomes an incentive not to have seconds and thirds of that chocolate cake, and to buy the small bar of chocolate rather than then huge tin of ridiculously cheap quality street, especially if you are training for something specific. Have you and your friend entered the 10k yet?

Why don't you try this week to eat at set times throughout the day (if your lifestyle allows this?), don't worry so much about what you are eating. At the moment your snacks seem to be mainly carbs, try and make sure you always have some protein as well as this will help keep you fuller for longer. So if you want some oat cakes, then put some peanut butter or sliced chicken or something on them as well. Same with if you have a banana, then have a few nuts with it. Your body needs a combination of carbs, protein and fats, so whenever you eat try to have a balance of that and unless you start marathon training then probably aim to increase your protein portions and reduce your carbs.

While you are eating, concentrate on what the food tastes like and what you really enjoy and stop eating when you are full. Keep a bottle of water with you throughout the day to keep sipping at so that you don't get thirsty as well. Can I also suggest that you stay away from the scales until after your holiday at least, that way you hopefully won't go on holiday feeling that you could have lost more and you won't come back from holiday and jump on the scales and beat yourself up for putting on a couple of pounds.

Hope you are recovering from the d&v bug and can dust off your dumbbells soon smile

WookieetheChew Sun 14-Nov-10 10:00:02

"fat loss is 80% down to eating properly and 20% to exercise"

Is this really true? I thought that your body burns fat for energy whenever there is a calorie deficit. Does it matter whether you create the deficit by eating less, or exercising more?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now