Talk

Advanced search

Reccomendations needed for a country house hotel about an hour/ hour and a half away from St Albans please?

(15 Posts)
KnickersandVests Thu 08-Oct-09 15:05:15

DD is off to her grandparents for halfterm so DP and I want to go away, just for one night and I'd like a lovely country house hotel.

I don't mind if it's north, east, south or west of here as long as it's in a beautiful building, got four poster beds and has a good restaurant.

TIA smile

MollieO Thu 08-Oct-09 15:09:20

Danesfield House, near Marlow.

KnickersandVests Thu 08-Oct-09 16:56:42

Wow, thanks Molly, that looks stunning, have you stayed there yourself?

I'll see if they have availability.

3littlefrogs Thu 08-Oct-09 16:59:46

Ashdown park in sussex. It is beautiful, has four poster beds, a lovely restaurant and health club, plus lovely old fashioned sitting rooms where you can have your meal brought to you on a tray if you want. (Men have to wear jacket and tie in restaurant, and dh forgot his).

Service is excellent.
will find a link.

3littlefrogs Thu 08-Oct-09 17:01:29

http://www.ashdownpark.com/

Ashdown Park (which I do like; we spent the first night after our wedding there) may be pushing it on the hour and a half from St Albans front, though.

Le Manoir Aux Quat'Saisons is just under an hour away from St Albans and is fantastic, although rooms are somewhat eyewateringly expensive (one plus: they do have an automatic upgrade policy, or did a few years back).

3littlefrogs Thu 08-Oct-09 17:56:14

Yes - I suppose it depends what the M25 is like and what time of day you are travelling.

whooosh Thu 08-Oct-09 18:03:45

Chewton Glen in New Milton here it's fab....

hobbgoblin Thu 08-Oct-09 18:06:14

Get the loft suite at du vin Brighton or stay at Christopher Wren's in Windsor with hot tub outside. grin

MollieO Thu 08-Oct-09 19:35:18

I've not stayed there (it is about 10 mins drive from my house!) but I have friends who have. It is lovely. I've eaten there lots too and the food is fab. It has wonderful grounds going down to the Thames and a lovely spa.

Another place is Cliveden House. Similar to Danesfield House but a bit more expensive. Lovely rooms, food, spa, grounds etc.

KnickersandVests Thu 08-Oct-09 21:31:19

Ooh, more lovely places to drool over, thank you MNers.

More expensive Mollie? Crumbs, I think DP will will tell me fark orf and book a holiday inn if I suggest something more expensive than a £240 per night hotel!

Joolsiam Thu 08-Oct-09 21:39:35

How about a nice spa break at Champneys Tring

KnickersandVests Thu 08-Oct-09 22:09:04

That looks lovely Joolsiam, close to home too but the last time we went away it was to a spa.

I think I just want a slightly boozy, dirty romantic night away. grin

MollieO Thu 08-Oct-09 22:23:18

What about Amberley Castle near Arundel? Probably about 1.5 - 1.75hrs from you.

Merrylegs Thu 08-Oct-09 22:27:13

I know this is the unlovely Watford but once you're in, you'd never know.

Tis lush and food is fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now