Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for European/shorthaul city breaks for 2 adults & a 7.5yo, please

(7 Posts)
SausageRocket Mon 21-Sep-09 09:28:17

Hot on the heels of a fantastic city break to London we are looking to go further afield.

DH and I have done a few weekend euro city breaks alone but we've always left DD with my Mum. This time we're looking at going as a trio.

We must be able to fly from Birmingham or East Midlands airports (pref BHX) and ideally no more than a 3hr flight.

Any recommendations for...
- good food
- child friendly
- Plenty to do - museums/galleries etc
- Not too £££ to eat/do things
- Good transport links as we'd rather not hire a car

We've done Barcelona which was fabulous and is a possibility but not really sure what there is to do with kids as we've always been sans children.

Paris is an obvious choice - we could do a day in EuroDisney (enough for any sane person, I should think) and there is lots in the way of entertainment/culture. Is EuroDisney a bit 'young' for an almost 8yr old ? Just because I envisage it as being more for littlies (kind of like LegoLand is to Alton Towers).

Any fabulous recommendations for places ? Activities ? Bargains ? Hotels ?

Thanks smile

giantkatestacks Mon 21-Sep-09 09:31:05

I think Paris is the obvious choice but our 5 yo really enjoyed Romne last year - theres a good science museum and parks and the obvious stuff (St Peters and the colisseum went down really well - and its educational with all the Roman stuff) plus loads of pizza, pasta and icecream...

Mybox Mon 21-Sep-09 09:31:37

Rome - lots to see & do plus kids like pasta & pizza so restaurants will be easy

giantkatestacks Mon 21-Sep-09 09:31:40

tsk Rome obviously - I wasnt trying to spell Romney - less educational for a weekend probably...

francagoestohollywood Mon 21-Sep-09 09:36:31

Rome of course (though it is huge and public transport a bit of a pain, so I advise to find a hotel near to the locations you really want to see)
Venice (which is quite "compact" and - lets face it - magical, I want to take my dc there asap)
Amsterdam. Very child friendly. No traffic. Great parks.

ChopsTheDuck Mon 21-Sep-09 09:41:24

Amsterdam is great for with children. We're taking the kids back there again next easter because we enjoyed it so much.

Barcelona is fairly child friendly, but more enjoyable without children I think! we took our dts there, and although we had a great time, there didn't seem to be much focused jsut on children.

SausageRocket Mon 21-Sep-09 09:46:32

LOL @ Romney!!!

Rome is fabulous, I'd like to do that. In fact, I'm slightly Italian city mad and would love to do them all! Venice is one that I'd like to do with just DH, ditto Florence. I could go on and on. I think our main family holiday next year will be Italy

Amsterdam is an interesting one. I suppose I associate it with stag weekends, despite the fact that it is supposed to be fantastic and very easy to get around both on foot and on bikes.

Thank you by the way, your replies are most helpful smile

We're looking to go during Easter 2010 if that makes a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now