Talk

Advanced search

Venice or Florence in Late September?

(21 Posts)
GibbonInARibbon Fri 28-Aug-09 10:01:25

Am lucky to be having a rare weekend away just DH and I in late September. Am torn between Venice and Florence and am hoping MN will help sway me grin

Any suggestions/advice most appreciated!

DeathbyDora Fri 28-Aug-09 10:03:41

Venice is terribly romantic, lots to see and a really 'different' atmosphere. Food is great and won't be too smelly that time of year! Lots of great little boutique hotels as well.

Florence also very very beautiful but if I had the same choice I'd go for Venice! Have been a few times and just loved it.

foofi Fri 28-Aug-09 10:04:18

We went to Venice late Sept a couple of years ago and it was lovely.

IsItMeOr Fri 28-Aug-09 10:04:23

A weekend is precisely the perfect length of time to spend in Venice imho. It will look beautiful whatever the weather, and if you are lucky, it will still be very mild in September. Paying an arm and a leg for a drink at one of the cafes on the main square is definitely worth it for the ambience in the evening.

MmeLindt Fri 28-Aug-09 10:05:30

Florence

Much more to see than in Venice.

Hire a scooter for a day and have a trip around the Chianti area, Greve or Moltepulciano.

franklymydear Fri 28-Aug-09 10:06:34

Florence without a doubt

Blackduck Fri 28-Aug-09 10:06:39

Venice, but take out a second mortgage!!

swingsofglory Fri 28-Aug-09 10:07:26

They are both gorgeous but Venice is the one with the 'wow' factor. It could still be quite hot there in September and you can get away from the crowds if you avoid the main tourist trails. There are lots of other islands to see and a beach!

IdrisTheDragon Fri 28-Aug-09 10:07:32

I can't decide which I'd prefer. Probably Venice but either would be lovely.

OrangeFish Fri 28-Aug-09 10:12:43

If you only have a weekend go to Venice. You can hardly begin to scratch the surface of Florence in a weekend, while Venice is breath taking as soon as you lay your sight on it.

Now, if you had more time, I would be recommending Florence. It is my favourite city. But Venice has a more dramatic impact straight away.

GibbonInARibbon Fri 28-Aug-09 10:14:14

So many posts! thank you all for taking the time smile they both sound lovely...I think I am leaning towards Venice and DH's pal has been raving to him about Florence so we are torn. First weekend away just the two us in a few years so really want it to be 'wow'. Have decided we will choose today and book, so your advice is so welcome smile

OrangeFish Fri 28-Aug-09 10:15:03

Something else that I love of Venice is that it seems to have certain "significance" to it. I love visiting St Mark piazza at night when people start dancing at the tone of the music of the cafes. You can see people building the memories of a life time while at it, it just have a very happy feeling to it

OrangeFish Fri 28-Aug-09 10:15:46

It has to be Venice... then! wink

GibbonInARibbon Fri 28-Aug-09 10:29:33

Thank you OrangeFish, think you have swayed me with that last post grin

Thanks all for posting smile

Barking Fri 28-Aug-09 10:50:51

We went a few months ago and after much research via tripadvisor booked
Hotel Becher

Literally round the corner from St Marks.

Very reasonable and the people who own it were very lovely and helpful.

I'd also recommend a private water taxi when you arrive from the airport to take you there. We arrived in the evening and it is truly breathtaking seeing the city rise up before you all lit up.

GibbonInARibbon Fri 28-Aug-09 13:00:22

Thank you Barking, looks lovely smile

IsItMeOr Fri 28-Aug-09 18:24:07

It has to be Venice! We honeymooned in Venice in September and there is not a bad photo in our pictures. The light seems softer somehow there, to better offset the crumbling grandeur of the buildings. We went for two weeks, which was definitely way too long, but a weekend would be perfect, perfect, perfect. And so romantic...(sigh).

GibbonInARibbon Sat 29-Aug-09 12:22:14

Wonderful! am getting v excited now grin

dogofpoints Sat 29-Aug-09 12:37:02

I am envious. I want to go to venice too

MrsMattie Sat 29-Aug-09 12:41:09

I've never been to Florence, but I can whole heartedly recommend Florence. An amazing place, especially once high season is over. So many lovely, arty things to do, extremely walkable and you have the Tuscan hills a stone's throw away. I thought it was completely magical (we also went in mid Sept).

MrsMattie Sat 29-Aug-09 12:41:24

Doh! I've never been to Venice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now