Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Christmas markets - where to go?

(10 Posts)
wangle99 Sat 22-Aug-09 16:51:54

DD and I would love to go to a Christmas market, never been before in fact I've never been out of the country yet lol (really must sort my passport!)

Just looking for recommendations really, anyone been before?

BubbaAndBump Sat 22-Aug-09 20:58:44

Lübeck is lovely, quite authentic, as is Heide. Aachen, Hamburg and Lüneburg all have decent markets. Sure there are good ones in the south, but these are all I've been to before. Just thinking about them makes me feel all Christmassy (weird in August!).

BubbaAndBump Sat 22-Aug-09 21:01:03

German Christmas markets map useful too

PitysSake Sat 22-Aug-09 21:01:47

nurenburg surely?

Joolsiam Sat 22-Aug-09 21:16:15

Nuremberg, Cologne, Munich etc are all great but absolutely mobbed and really not fun as far as I'm concerned - just a massive crush.

I've been to Leipzig several times - a beautiful town, cheap accommodation (in the old East Germany), not so busy, cheap flights available - definitely my recommendation We went on a day trip to Dresden from there - fantastic but absolutely mobbed to the point that I was getting really really scared of the crowds.

Dusseldorf is good, but not that interesting in terms of the city (modern). Stuttgart is lovely, and there are lots of little markets in neighbouring towns, all with different themes.

I studied in Regensburg in the South - absolutely beautiful old town and lovely little market - you could do it on a day trip from Nuremberg.

Going to Berlin this year

Claire2301 Sat 22-Aug-09 21:27:10

We drive over to Bruges each year, if you feel like it you can stop at Lille market on the way through. Always have a lovely time. There is a Novotel and Ibis 3 minutes walk from the centre squares.
Wouldn't know where to suggest if you were planning to fly! (Heard Lyon is good though)

dinkystinky Sat 22-Aug-09 21:33:37

Tivoli in Copenhagen - lovely and christmasy, though more christmas amusement park with market-y bits rather than market.

PitysSake Sat 22-Aug-09 21:34:56

haha
I lived in regenesburg too!

PitysSake Sat 22-Aug-09 21:36:02

god oyu go every YEAR?

doesnt the novelty wear off? and the EURO is ££

Claire2301 Sun 23-Aug-09 09:26:34

I have family over there who we visit, in France and Belgium so it isn't exclusively to visit the markets. Much cheaper to drive over, spend day with each family and deliver all xmas presents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now