Talk

Advanced search

Top Tips for London with DD's 11 & 9

(8 Posts)
Chinwag Mon 20-Jul-09 11:31:04

We're going to london at the end of August for 3 nights with our DD's. Any suggestions for the best things to see while we are there?

loliandelismum Sat 25-Jul-09 14:53:06

I took my two DDs 2 yrs ago when they were also 9 and 11, and to be honest, they were happy as larks just walking around taking in the sights (it was their first trip). London Eye was excellent (and the whole of the south bank is really nice now - loads of street theatre - you can walk down to the new bridge - takes about 45 minutes. Tower was also good (quite expensive); watching changing of the guard; for shopping - Hamleys or Harrods would take a good hour or so. Science Museum / Natural History museum are always god for a morning/afternoon. If you want to splash out, afternoon tea in one of the high end hotels is always popular with my two (try the Mandarin Orient - it's lush!!). Think you have to book though. One last tip - we found that taxis were quite cheap between 4 of us and you get to see more than if you use the underground. Have fun!!

CybilLiberty Sat 25-Jul-09 14:57:39

Have a look at the Time Out website for good London ideas with kids

sdr Sat 25-Jul-09 14:59:22

Changing of the Horse Guard is v. good as you can get much closer than at Buckingham Palace. The V&A museum, pick a couple of galleries, also have children's backpacks to guide them round. Princess Diana playground in Kensington Gardens (Peter Pan theme) - my DD12 stills likes to be a kid there, also a good picnic spot.

janeite Sat 25-Jul-09 15:00:40

My dds are 14 and 12. They love Covent Garden, the London Eye, the fashion bit of the V&A, the Portrait Gallery, walking down past parliament to the river, messing around at the fountains in Trafalgar Square, shopping (arghhh) at the huge Topshop on Oxford Street and at Urban Outfitters in Covent Garden, drooling in Liberty, tea in the Crypt at Saint Martins.

Chinwag Sun 26-Jul-09 14:39:33

Thank you. Will look into these. Excited!! grin

LIZS Sun 26-Jul-09 14:46:10

The London Eye, a show, hanging out in Leicester Square and Covent Garden, check out any workshops and back stage tours that may be going on at theatres, museums and galleries.

LIZS Sun 26-Jul-09 14:49:59

suggestiosn here. Also have a look at Kidsweek for shows, it is officially a bit earlier than your trip but sometimes a few continue to end of August.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now