Talk

Advanced search

Night out in Newcastle

(8 Posts)
Shivs1974 Mon 01-Jun-09 21:43:07

I'm going up to Newcastle this weekend to relive my student days & to scream at Take That - and I can't wait.
Every time I've been up to Toon it's got smarter & smarter (I studied at the Poly in the early-mid 90s) - so was wondering if anyone could suggest somewhere that's good, won't make us feel too old but isn't boring. Looking for bars earlier on and then a club - cheesy & indie is more our thing than dancey....we used to be regulars at Buzz/Bliss and Diva/Central Park way back when...
Any suggestions???

LadyPinkofPinkerton Mon 01-Jun-09 22:00:31

Now you are older my best suggestion is to head down the quayside. You will feel way too old anywhere else.

Shivs1974 Mon 01-Jun-09 22:09:36

Now you have made me feel old!! We went to Pitcher & Piano last time, missed out Offshores, Red Bar etc as these were old student haunts, but didn't really enjoy P&P....maybe it was having a quiet night but it felt lacking in atmosphere.....

LaDiDaDi Mon 01-Jun-09 22:11:30

What about World Headquarters for a club?

Lots of bars are open til 2 especially along the stretch from Central Station to Grey St.

Shivs1974 Mon 01-Jun-09 22:16:25

World Headquarters - is that still going? Was somewhere that I wanted to go to when i was a student but sadly drinking triples for £1.50 at Dobsons & dancing to Dallas on the stage at Diva always seemed to win!

LaDiDaDi Mon 01-Jun-09 22:33:47

It has moved about but I think it's still going.

Oooh I remember those killer trebles at Dobsons. Would you like firewater and coke or firewater and lemonade?? Completely burnt your throat.

Florita's is nice as is perdu but neither are cheesy. There's always Tiger Tiger in the Gate but might not be your cup of tea?

Shivs1974 Mon 01-Jun-09 22:53:53

ohhh....trebles were lethal but just had to be done!
Just want a really good night out without it being too too trendy...if that makes sense...but not so cheesy that it's really horrible & tacky. But then again a mix of indie & cheesy would be best - if such a place exists....why did they knock down Planet Earth?

LaDiDaDi Mon 01-Jun-09 22:57:32

To build the gate, which just makes me feel like I'm having a night out in a shopping centre lol. Good in the winter though, when it's snowing and you've not got a coat on wink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now